It Might Get Loud - Name a substitute for The Edge

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mick_sh, Feb 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. unclesalty

unclesalty Rzzzzz!

This.

2. Minty_fresh

Minty_fresh Forum Resident

I might have picked Jeff Martin (The Tea Party) or Thurston Moore and/or Lee Ronaldo (Sonic Youth) or.....

3. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond Thread Starter

I'm pretty sure that for average Joe, the guy with the cap it's just a guy with a cap.

4. sunking101

sunking101 Forum Resident

I dunno. U2 have been massive for decades. Apart from Slash, Johnny Marr and Noel Gallagher has there been a more famous guitarist than Edge these past 30 years?

5. Rick Nielsen

T'mershi Duween and Fullbug like this.
  6. cublowell

cublowell Forum Resident

I can't stand U2, but this film actually made me appreciate Edge's playing. Seems like a really inspired guy, even if that doesn't translate to documentary film as well as some would like.

Conversely, I like a lot of Jack White's work, but this film doesn't make him look too good. The others' obsessions with music came across as a positive thing, while White seems haunted in a really odd and uncomfortable way.

7. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

You're not a flashy player and you get jettisoned, pffft...

petem1966 likes this.
  8. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

Never for the guitar work, though.

Ever.

Though I should say something nice about The Edge, because that's how my Mom raised me :

I think he is proobably the 3rd best Roofer in U2.

9. telepicker97

telepicker97 Got Any Gum?

At least Jack White and the Edge have current music, both in the film and recently.

I felt sad for Pagey and "here's another one I wrote 40some-odd year ago" role...

10. sunking101

I disagree. Edge has been famous from day one for his original approach to the guitar. They're a guitar band.

11. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

Really?

Because I have been a guitarist for 35 years or so and they could have fooled me.

Fullbug likes this.
  12. sunking101

Snap. Edge has been in Guitarist and Guitar Player magazine on numerous occasions.
    He's no.38 in Rolling Stone's Top 100 guitarists of all time...

100 Greatest Guitarists

13. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

Sure. So have many other boring players.

I just never, ever considered U2's Music to be Guitar Based Music. Never. Nor have I ever had a person walk into a shop looking for a guitar because they saw the Edge with one and had to have it.

He's simply not iconic as a guitarist. In any way.

14. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Who was going to watch this movie advertised starring Joe Baiza or Bob Mould or Malmsteen?

The Edge was kind of a perfect pick.

15. sunking101

You're wrong mate. He was in the film relating to this very thread precisely because he IS a guitar hero. U2 aren't a guitar band?? They're a four piece; guitar, bass, drums and vocals. Edge is one of the most iconic guitarists of my lifetime, along with Slash and Johnny Marr. Most people can name the guitar player in U2.

16. somnar

somnar Senior Member

Roy Orbison

17. blaken123

blaken123 Your Greater Tri-County CD Superstore

U2... not so much a guitar band as a guitar-effects band (and I say this with much love for those effects--Unforgettable Fire is a 10/10 album for me--but I don't listen to Edge for virtuoso playing)

18. blaken123

blaken123 Your Greater Tri-County CD Superstore

Like some mentioned earlier, I like the idea of replacing Edge with Eddie Van Halen. Eddie is THE 80s rock guitarist. The only problem is that Eddie would have then replaced Jack and Jimmy with various Van Halen family members!

19. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

See, I skipped the film for years and years specifically because The Edge was in it.

To me, that made it kind of a joke - in a movie about guitars, guitar based music and it's respective trends / trendsetters re. modern music.

Give me Daniel Ash, Bob Mould, Johnny Marr, Mascis, Renaldo/Moore, Fripp/Eno, and any number of the others mentioned and you couldn't have kept me from seeing it.

20. sunking101

Keith Richards isn't a virtuoso, neither is Johnny Marr. You don't have to be a shredder in order to become a guitar icon. Heck Jack White is one. All three of the guitarists in this film are icons, although Jack White is to a lesser degree.
    Look at the link I put up a few posts ago. Rolling Stone magazine had a bunch of top guitarists vote for the top 100 guitarists of all time...and The Edge is no.38

21. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

This is the funniest thing in the entire Thread.

Might even be the funniest thing I have ever read on this Forum.

audiotom likes this.
  22. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident

Best thing about that film was Page, I think.
    Dick Dale would have been cool.

Guitarded likes this.
  23. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

I think they might be a delay pedal band

JL6161 and Guitarded like this.
  24. sunking101

25. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

So you hate The Edge. Got it.

They're a trio with a singer, and without something special going on in the guitar dept. they wouldn't have made it very far. They made their bones on Edge's riffs and Bono's voice, long before he became General Secretary of the UN (he is, isnt' he?). Decent rhythm section, solid, steady, but not very distinctive.

U2 is Guitar Based Music, whether you like it or not.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.