" It Was 20 Years Ago Today " * (1987 Sgt. Pepper documentary)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Gryphon, Mar 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

2. Big Pasi

Big Pasi Forum Resident

In the "It Was Twenty Years Ago Today" there is a short interview-piece with George Martin which looks like it was shot in 1967. He explains in it the sound of a backwards cymbal. Where is that bit from? Is there a longer interview available? Is it about Beatles?

905 likes this.
  3. bewareofchairs

bewareofchairs Forum Resident

For reason I can't find the last part of the documentary anywhere on youtube. Does anyone know if the whole thing is available somewhere?

4. Martin02

Martin02 Forum Resident

" It Was 20 Years Ago Today " * (1987 Sgt. Pepper documentary)

This is an awesome thread, unfortunately locked.

Shocked Granada doesn't have a complete master, saddened by passing of John Sheppard, missed an opportunity interviewing him!
    Eric Noble of the Diggers site says they were contacted by the documentary makers in 1982! They gave them a copy of Nowsreal. Surprised pre-production went on that long!
    I have contacted Colin Bell, credited as researcher on the documentary, who has confirmed its exceptionally log gestation. He conducted the US interviews.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 14, 2018
    Yosi likes this.
  5. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

(Pointlessly closed thread reopened. Post away!)

cwitt1980 and mrjinks like this.
  6. Martin02

Martin02 Forum Resident

Hey, thanks!

7. Martin02

Martin02 Forum Resident

OK, Here's a big slab of the sources.

(1967 CBS SPECIAL REPORT..."INSIDE POP: THE ROCK REVOLUTION") not the only copy on YouTube. However I am finding many files of It Was 20 Years Ago Today is blocked -- "This video contains content from Apple Corps Ltd and UMG_MK, one or more of whom have blocked it on copyright grounds." So, lucky I recorded it on VHS ... in 1987.

The freeze frame of Jagger and Fraser in the back of the police van appears to be from this Richard Hamilton silkscreen Release (1972). Why? I presume it was to hand at Grenada

https://www.tate.org.uk/art/images/work/P/P04/P04254_10.jpg

cwitt1980 likes this.
  8. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

will this ever come out on BD? or did it somewhere?

9. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

No. Someone mentioned back a page that Granada no longer have the masters. I'd love to have a clean copy of it.

Michael likes this.
  10. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I have a crappy VHS copy that I can't copy to DVD...it's forbidden...LOL.

11. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Good assessment.

bhazen likes this.
  12. Peter_R

Peter_R Maple Syrple Gort Staff

I remember recording this off CBC television here in Canada (on Betamax, no less), and getting it on VHS from a friend that recorded it off PBS television.
    Much to my surprise, there were some very slight differences.

13. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Never watched it before. But I read it was (kinda) the prototype episode of the music documentary series Classic Albums.

14. seacliffe301

seacliffe301 Forum Resident

Same here. Taped it of the air to Betamax off the CBC out of Windsor, Ontario. I still have the tape, and surprisingly, a working deck. I'll have to re-watch it again.

Peter_R likes this.
  15. Big Pasi

Big Pasi Forum Resident

And still nobody knows the answer to this question...

16. Big Pasi

Big Pasi Forum Resident

For me the Sgt. Pepper documentary from 1992 is the first episode of the Classic Album series.

Derek Slazenger and andrewskyDE like this.
  17. RobRoyF

RobRoyF Forum Resident

I had it on an old VHS tape. I most likely still have the tape, but haven't bothered checking in a while. I recall enjoy watching it several times way back then.

18. Martin02

Martin02 Forum Resident

Thanks so much for starting this thread and putting in the effort to find out it has been deleted ...

Colin Bell, who researched it, confirmed it had been under development since at least 1982, when he was involved.
    He did the US interviews and got the (unused) copy of Nowsreal.
    The large glass of milk in shot with Michelle Phillips is apparently a margarita, which according to Colin; "... she could mix one hell of a-".

And quite a big write up on Wikipedia, including a DVD release.
    It Was Twenty Years Ago Today (film) - Wikipedia

jtiner likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.