It's a Byrd, It's a Plane, It's a Blonde

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by -Ben, Oct 2, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member Thread Starter

The new Sundazed Mono LPs are out.
    The Byrds Singles Mono Mixes (2LPs), Jefferson Airplane Surrealistic Pillow, and Dylan's Blonde on Blonde.

My first impressions:
    The vinyl is good, though not as good as the best RTI (i.e. CCRs) with a few ticks here and there.

I compared Pillow to a mono RCA....very close. The RCA original may have little better bass. Overall...A
    Blonde on Blonde I also compared to a Mono original 360. My first impression....very very close. Overall...A+
    The Byrds I could not compare to anything since I don't have the 45s, but I like the sound.
    God bless Bob Irwin.
    One small thing Bob... if you are listening. Classic Records and Acoustic Sounds got rid of the nasty bar code on the back of the covers. I think Sundazed should too. Blonde on Blonde with a bar code???? Not nice.
    BC

2. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

I suspect that is because Sundazed's releases have wider distribution than either Classic or Acoustic Sounds. It's even possible that a Sundazed LP might be sold by a store hooked up to the SoundScan system, thus the need for a bar code.

3. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

Still awaiting my LPs to arrive via Mail/UPS - can't wait.

But you have to remember that Sundazed isn't a truly "audiophile" concern that seems to only market their LPs via the Internet and specialty stores. I find it very easy to find Sundazed albums almost everywhere that vinyl is carried - even in my local Compact Disc World store where they carry vinyl and NEED the UPC code to be able to sell the product.

Hence, it seems that since Sundazed markets their product more widely than "Classic" or "Acoustic Sounds" (where I rarely find their offerings in normal brick and mortar stores) they need that UPC bar code. I guess it is something we will have to learn to live with.

4. vinylrec

vinylrec Senior Member

Make the UPC bar code a sticker and have it stuck on the plastic outer seal.....

Problem solved.

5. -Ben

I understand the need for a bar code. However, there maybe creative ways to deal with that (such as incorporating it into the custum sticker that comes in the front of every LP). Of course, once the plastic wrap is gone so is the bar code. If living with it we must, live with it we will.
    BC

6. Stax Fan

Stax Fan Forum Resident

Thanks for the input bencanas. As I don't have original mono pressings of either "Surrealistic Pillow" or "Blonde On Blonde", I had high hopes for these two Sundazed reissues. It's always great when Sundazed gets it right as their prices are so good.

7. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

BC,

I was sitting on the fence with these releases (it's fall and my money tree has lost some leaves) but okay, I just ordered these. Yes, I'm excited to hear what Sundazed has accomplished with these titles.

I found a pretty good deal at Music Direct. They have a special package price of $52 (plus shipping) for all 3 titles. Here's the link (sausage):

Sundazed Special (sunny-side-up or poached...)

Todd

8. JPartyka

JPartyka I Got a Home on High

I just got my package of these three new Sundazed LPs at the end of last week.

I haven't listened to Blonde yet (which is probably related to my shame over having bought yet another copy of this record), but I agree with bencanas on the Airplane ... it's one of the best Sundazed efforts I've yet heard. I also found it compares quite favorably to my RCA mono original (but it's much cleaner!).

I've only heard Side 1 of the mono Byrds collection so far, and I have yet to compare it to any of my original Columbia 45s or my copy of the Columbia Original Singles LP, but on its own terms it sounds very good. Can't wait to get to some of the later Younger/Notorious-era stuff on the second record ...

9. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

Speaking of Sundazed....Am I correct in assuming they did not release Dylan's first LP in mono?

If that's correct, anyone know why?

mud-

10. JPartyka

The first Dylan album is upcoming. It's in the latest Sundazed catalog I have, along with Infidels and Oh Mercy. Clearly, they're not going in anything resembling chronological order ...

11. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

Jeff, thanks. Any mention of "John Wesley Harding" in mono?

mud-

12. JPartyka

Actually, Diverse Vinyl, on their "forthcoming releases" page, lists a mono Harding along with the others I mentioned.

I thought I'd heard rumblings that Sundazed were going to do that one in stereo since the mono was a fold-down. I've never heard that one in mono and I don't know if it was a fold-down or not ... but I would sure hope Sundazed wouldn't foist a fold-down upon us.

I'm actually most excited myself by the upcoming Wilco Yankee Hotel Foxtrot and NRBQ Atsa My Band Sundazed LPs ...

13. Paul L.

Paul L. New Member

Lifted from a Dylan site:

This was the last US mono album, and is very rare! Thanks to Keith Venturoni for this information from Tim Livingston of Sundazed Records: "I checked with our producer, Bob Irwin, who has worked with all of the Dylan tapes, and John Wesley Harding was most definitely not a true mono mix - it was simply a reduction of the stereo master." Sundazed will therefore only be releasing a stereo version on vinyl.

I want to also recommend Sundazed's mono Blonde On Blonde--quite excellent.

14. JPartyka

Thanks, Paul ... That's what I thought. I wonder what made Diverse Vinyl think it would be mono ...

I think I'm going to crack open the Sundazed Blonde and listen to it tonight. It's going to have to be very good, though ... I have a very clean mono original to which it'll have to stand up!

15. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

Yes, Paul, thanks.

I have the BOB, H61R and BIABH on Sundazed and want to get the rest. I'm at least glad they're putting out the 1st lp. My original versions are a tad beat up.

mud-

16. JPartyka

To go off on another Sundazed tangent ... Does anyone know why they never got around to putting out The Notorious Byrd Brothers? They've done the first four Byrds albums, and they've continued with the Sanctuary series (including Notorious-era outtakes!!) and the new mono singles collection, with other releases in the pipeline ... but I've seen/heard no mention of them doing Notorious.

Just wondering.

17. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

I love the Sundazed stuff (the MC5's are really good) but I do have a bone to pick. At least 1 out of every 3 is screwed up because of the inner sleeve has creases which leave marks on the vinyl. I just bought The Stooges Funhouse and the album had marks all over it, it looked like a 3 year old shoved the album in(the store took it back and gave me another copy). They either have to have the records inserted better or switch to a MOFI type inner sleeve. I now make a point of opening them in the store so I don't have to go back.

18. JPartyka

Tom,

I agree with you that they should rethink their choice of inner-sleeve material. That paper they use seems especially abrasive and prone to creasing, and I'm always nervous trying to coax the record out without marking it up. (Of course, I immediately replace the inner sleeve with a VRP one.)

I have had a few Sundazed LPs that came with visible surface marks, but only in one case have they been audible (the Young Rascals' Groovin') ... I returned that one and got a replacement that was fine.

19. -Ben

After living with the Sundazed Byrds Singles LPs for close to a month, I must warn that a few tracks have less than audiophile sound. Overall, I still recommend this title for those who like mono mixes.

BC

20. proufo

proufo Forum Resident

Re: Re: It's a Byrd, It's a Plane, It's a Blonde

Have anyone compared it to the 1980 Columbia singles compilation?

Was there ever a Volume II in Columbia? I have only Vol. I.

Thanks in advance.

21. -Ben

Proufo,
    If anyone can, Jeff Partyka can. He has the goods.

Jeff?

BC

22. JPartyka

The old Columbia 45s I have turned out to be in nastier shape than I remembered, so they really weren't very useful in making comparisons.

As for the Columbia all-mono Original Singles Vol. 1 1965-67 LP, issued around 1980, I put it on for the first time in ages recently and was surprised by the clear, punchy sound. (I'm talking about the LP here; Columbia's CD of the same album is one of the worst-sounding CDs I've ever heard.)

There was a Vol. 2, actually, but I don't believe it was issued in America (the only copy I've ever seen was British). If I'm wrong I'd be happy to be corrected. I've never heard that one.

I'd tentatively say that if you're primarily interested in the earlier singles covered by Columbia's Vol. 1, and you already have that, you have no need for the Sundazed. The sound quality on the Sundazed is spotty; I was really looking forward to hearing "Lady Friend" in its mono single mix for the first time, but I was disappointed; it's harsh, tinny, shrill. I still haven't done a direct A/B, but I don't believe the sound on the Sundazed overall is miles ahead of the Columbia Original Singles.

I'll plan on doing a direct A/B and, if I find anything earth-shattering, I'll report back. I just got the Byrds Greatest Hits SACD too, and, even though most of that is stereo, maybe I'll throw that in as well ...

23. -Ben

Thanks Jeff.

I hesitated at first to be too hard on Sundazed (since I did not have anything for comparison).
    You are right.
    A few of the tracks (including "Lady Friend") ARE harsh, tinny, and shrill.

BC

24. ZIPGUN99

ZIPGUN99 Active Member

The single sounds like that, too. It's cacophonous, when it should be spector-like, at the end.

25. proufo

proufo Forum Resident

Thanks Jeff.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.