It's Elvis Presley "Elvis - The Movie Soundtracks boxed set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mikrt17, Dec 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mikrt17

mikrt17 Life has surface noise. Thread Starter

This is being released on January 6th and contains 20 CD's of Elvis movie
    scores I am wondering what masterings will be used and does anybody have
    any advance information, the current pre-order price is £33 seems like a bargain.

BeSteVenn likes this.
  2. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Hep Alien, BlueSpeedway and mikrt17 like this.
  3. mikrt17

Yes three EP's on one disc and a special 'Jailhouse Rock' album CD first issued in South Africa if these are a mixture of Anesini
    and Kevin Grey masterings I'll be very happy and it's likely they will be.

Daniel Plainview likes this.
  4. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Hep Alien likes this.
  5. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway Curated Iconic Half-Speed Picture Disc

Hahaha LOL :)

Unfortunately there's a bunch of stuff missing (the songs from Charro, Change of Habit, Stay Away Joe, Live a Little Love a Little..) which stops it from being a handy way of getting ALL the movie songs, from good to monstrous, in one place in good sound :(

Hep Alien likes this.
  6. mikrt17

If these are sourced from 'The Complete Masters' I'm definitely in even though it's not complete.

Hep Alien and heatherly like this.
  7. heatherly

heatherly Well-Known Member

I have quite of few of these but for the price I'm still in.

I can always dump my dup's on Ebay or the library.

mikrt17 likes this.
  8. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

It is an intriguing looking set; in some ways due to the packaging -- and if it contains the 2007 Anesini remasters, quite possibly a no-brainer. That said, there is a lot of substandard material in the box set. Yet, as Elvis fans know, even Elvis' substandard material can offer interesting vocal performances on some level. Having most of this material via FTD makes it hard to consider repurchasing it again in a new configuration because as previously stated, a lot of the material isn't worthy of a 2nd purchase. But, if it contains the Anesini remasters, for super fans that have not yet obtained the Complete Masters box set, this is a nice way to augment a collection with arguably the best sounding versions of the soundtrack material associated with this set.

huge logo, Hep Alien and mikrt17 like this.
  9. MEMPHISSUN

MEMPHISSUN Forum Resident

No word on who has done this set,but the info seems not far off the money...some info found on the net.

Sony has announced the new 20-CD Soundtrack box set to be released January 3, 2014.
    Twenty soundtrack albums (all remastered) and presented as mini-vinyl relica CDs plus an informative booklet.

The real interest to Elvis collectors would be the 'Jailhouse Rock' album (originally released in South Africa),
    the 'Follow That Dream/Kid Galahad' *double-feature, plus Kissin’ Cousins remastered version still only available via The Complete Masters set.

*The 1993 Double Features CD paired Kid Galahad with Girls! Girls! Girls! - http://www.elvisoncd.com/eigenecd/CD/d/ ... sgirls.htm
    ... and Follow That Dream was with Flaming Star & Wild In The Country (1995) - http://www.elvisoncd.com/eigenecd/CD/d/ ... -us95.html

The other featured albums are... Loving You; King Creole; G. I. Blues; Blue Hawaii; Girls! Girls! Girls!;
    It Happened At The World’s Fair; Fun In Acapulco; Viva Las Vegas; Roustabout; Girl Happy; Harum Scarum;
    Frankie And Johnny; Paradise, Hawaiian Style; Spinout; Double Trouble; Clambake; and Speedway.

CD 2 - Jailhouse Rock: (originally released for South Africa)
    Jailhouse Rock - Young And Beautiful - I Want To Be Free - Don't Leave Me Now - (You're So Square) Baby I Don't Care - Treat Me Nice -
    I Beg Of You - Don't - Playing For Keeps - Shake, Rattle and Roll - Good Rockin' Tonight - I Don't Care If the Sun Don't Shine

CD 5 – Follow That Dream/Kid Galahad/Flaming Star:
    Follow That Dream - What A Wonderful Life - I'm Not The Marrying Kind - A Whistling Tune - Sound Advice - Angel -
    King Of The Whole Wide World - This Is Living - Riding The Rainbow - Home Is Where The Heart Is - I Got Lucky - A Whistling Tune -
    Flaming Star - Summer Kisses, Winter Tears.

TMF.

Hep Alien and heatherly like this.
  10. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

According to post #4 this was taken from the Complete Masters; if correct, they're the 2007 Anesini masterings.

Hep Alien likes this.
  11. Rick H.

Rick H. Raised on AM Radio

I pre ordered it...here in Canada it's $31.86...can't go wrong.

12. MEMPHISSUN

Some of these soundtracks will come out on FTD ... wait till then for me,in case of better tapes been found ie,GIRL HAPPY as an example.

13. PacificOceanBlue

All of these soundtracks from this box set are available via FTD except for Kissin' Cousins, Roustabout, and Speedway. An Anesini remastered Roustabout is in print. FTD will likely do something with Speedway (Goin' Home sessions were already made available on FTD's Stay Away, Joe reissue) and possibly Kissin' Cousins, although it is rumored that session tapes are missing for the three referenced non-FTD titles. Again, if this upcoming box set contains all Anesini remasters, it will be a neat little collection, but for fans who already have all the FTD versions, this will be overkill.

Hep Alien likes this.
  14. Radiotron

Radiotron Tube Designer

This should be a fun box set. Hope all my favorite Elvis tracks are there: Do the clam, (There's) No Room To Rhumba in a Sports Car, Fort Lauderdale Chamber of Commerce, etc. :D

15. aberyclark

aberyclark Well-Known Member

Elvi$$$ has not left the building

16. Radiotron

Radiotron Tube Designer

Where? Amazon.ca has it for $64.83

17. GroovinGarrett

GroovinGarrett Mrs. Stately's Garden

I'm fairly certain all that exists are the MGM and United 4-tracks for the Speedway master takes. The Radio Recorders tapes for Roustabout are missing. The Kissin' Cousins basic tracks were recorded at RCA Studio B, those might still exist, but I don't know if anything besides the master takes still exists from EP's vocal overdubs at MGM. Wouldn't be much to work with for an FTD issue for any of them.

18. MEMPHISSUN

The Elvis vocals (tracks were layed down in Nashville,vocals done in MGM Sound Stage - Hollywood) are the missing tapes from KC session's.

Years ago in Australia ROUSTABOUT was 1st issued on CD (in the world), and that has a great sound to it, then VIC's version came out and that is in great sound as well.

With SONY/FTD buying an Acetate of SHOPPIN' AROUND and putting it on vol 2 of G I BLUES,you never can tell what will come out on FTD down the line.

19. MEMPHISSUN

FTD have put out the odd vocal overdub ... OUT IN HOLLYWOOD had one from JAILHOUSE ROCK and Baby i don't care.

One or 2 Acetates added on the KC soundtrack but what else will be found to make this cd longer?.

20. PacificOceanBlue

That is the issue. It will be difficult for FTD to "expand" Kissin' Cousins. There are a handful of Elvis titles that will be difficult to expand and include as part as the classic album series reissue program. A few examples:

Elvis:
    Not many outtakes apparently survive. FTD could gather what it has access to and augment the rest of the release with remastered Ed Sullivan and Stage Show performances from 1956.

Elvis Christmas Album:
    The reels are missing. The most Sony can do is produce a straight reissue. Can't imagine this gets the FTD treatment; unless of course, the tapes are found.

Kissin' Cousins/Speedway/Roustabout:
    Most of the tapes appear to be missing from these sessions. Again, straight reissues of the soundtracks can be done as Sony mainstream releases, but there isn't enough there to produce FTD expanded editions. Speaking of soundtracks, what does FTD do with Charro and Change of Habit?

'68 Comeback Special:
    The 2008 box set offers the most complete package of Comeback material. It has both stand-up shows and sit-down shows with minimal editing. It has the previously released FTD outtakes and rehearsals. Perhaps there is an additional disc of Western Recorders material? If so, that could augment a remaster of the original album; which does not sound particularly good on the 2008 box set. Still, it is hard to imagine FTD producing a set with a substantial and relevant amount of unreleased material; if FTD does release the '68 Comeback, it may contain a lot of recycled material.

As Recorded At Madison Square Garden:
    Anesini remastered the concerts. The concerts have also been remixed. There are no known surviving rehearsal tapes. Any FTD edition would be pointless and 100% recycled material. I suppose hearing a Vic Anesini remix could be interesting, but I doubt it happens.

Aloha:
    Currently available in remastered form by Anesini with the rehearsal in remixed and remastered form. Most of the post-show stage recordings were made available on the deluxe DVD edition about 10 years ago. That said, the post-show audio would be interesting to hear on CD, so that could make for interesting bonus content. Still, it seems like Aloha is another long-shot.

Compilations and Camden Budget Series:
    Hard to imagine that any of the Elvis Gold Records compilations will get released (outside of the previously released 50,000,000 Fans Can't Be Wrong). A Date With Elvis? Doubtful. Let's Be Friends and Almost In Love? Doubtful. Burning Love And Hits From His Movies or Separate Ways? Doubtful. The only intriguing possibility that I would imagine is a real possibility is a revised This Is Elvis soundtrack.

Hep Alien, Kkfan and BlueSpeedway like this.
  21. MEMPHISSUN

How many times down the years on EP forums/mags have i read that such and such will not be issued ... then a few years down the line it has come out in some shape or form ... if? you have not got any of the camdens cds,try to get one and give it a go as there is stuff on there (mixes) that should have been issued on FTD,example would be for me a song like RUBBERNECKIN'.

THIS IS ELVIS has been going good guns on the forums ... but will only be good if they give it a complete over hall,longer versions and songs with out that WARNER overdubs etc.(yuk)

All the stuff your saying, like ALOHA not been issued again,if that is the case then FTD would not have issued all the so called CLASSIC albums that came out in EP's life time ... you get HITS FROM THE 70's on FTD,you get ANY THING on FTD.

SONY have in the past year or so have moved to other ENGINEERS (still waiting on why this is),and if they can make STAX a 3xcd set and become a seller then what else has SONY got to play with from the faults?.

Good times have come and will be next year as well ... SONY means business when it comes to the Presley catalogue.

22. Rick H.

Rick H. Raised on AM Radio

Wow...now it is...I ordered it yesterday. Sucks man...."I Got Lucky".

23. BlueSpeedway

Yeah, they put the post-show Aloha audio (masters) on the Fool FTD. They sound nice there, I kind of wish the whole "session" was there..

24. BlueSpeedway

I was reading some old FTD reviews from 2004-7 on a Presley site recently, and the amount of reader comments posted under the reviews miserably claiming FTD had nothing else good to release.. many of them, saying this in 2004. Glad they were wrong!

25. heatherly

heatherly Well-Known Member

:agree:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.