It’s Official: Steven Spielberg is Remaking ’West Side Story’

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by JozefK, Jan 25, 2018.

1. Matt Richardson

Matt Richardson Forum Resident

Maybe he’ll remake Johnny Guitar.

trumpet sounds likes this.
  2. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

Nah, sorry to disagree, but Spielberg at the helm, at worst it will break even. Titanic failure...hell no. Each to his own. I don't see anything to indicate anymore back breaking work then usual.

A built in audience, decent writing, decent casting (and the open casting is a great touch that might give us a great unknown!), and most importantly a director that still puts out great work....I see the recipe for great success. Lets look at his record lately...yeah Spielberg doesn't have "failure" often.

Ready Player One-175 mill budget world gross 582 mill
    The Post-50/177
    The BFG-140/183
    Bridge of Spies 40/165
    Lincoln 65/275
    War Horse 66/177
    The Adventures of Tintin 135/373

Last edited: Jul 19, 2018
  3. All Rights

All Rights Senior Member

1. Are they going to tear Lincoln Center and build shoddy tenements for a set?

2. Who's going to play Officer Krupke?

Steve Litos and ralphb like this.
  4. conjotter

conjotter Forum Resident

5. rjp

rjp Senior Member

'west side story' is a bad movie, never got it, never will.

romeo and juliet with brylcream.

6. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Harrison Ford or Michael Douglas:D

DaveySR and All Rights like this.
  7. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Tell me Michael Rapaport wouldnt be perfect as officer Krupke!;)

Splungeworthy likes this.
  8. Krupke as an Octogenarian? Why not. :agree:

9. Jax Scopitone

Jax Scopitone Active Member

In 1961, Rita Morano was a coloratura and, due to the low notes of the opening lines, "A Boy Like That" was dubbed by Betty Wand. Rita didn't like (her discription) the cliché Mexican accent Mrs Wand gave to the performance. It would be stretching believability for her to play Anita now, but her voice sounds like it has lowered enough to manage a low G today.

If the original score is to be used, I nominate Gustavo Dudamel to conduct it.

KevinP likes this.
  10. I think that's the entire key to the success/letdown of any remake of West Side Story (or any beloved piece of Americana like this).

Clearly the people in it will have to have talent. But I would MUCH prefer to have all non-name actors, than have it be some kind of all-star cast. Or if they do get any well-known actors, they better well be DAMN good.

Tall order, I realize.

arley likes this.
  11. JCRW

JCRW Forum Resident

I just got horrible flashbacks to the 'Mac and Me' McDonald's Dance Scene...

12. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I love the music and the theater, but the original movie didn’t really do much for me. If they’re going to plant the original score on to a completely new story I would actually probably be quite happy.

13. LivingForever

LivingForever Forum Arachibutyrophobic

Yes, yes and yes. You’ve just hit on all the reasons why I would welcome someone taking another stab at making a film out of my favourite musical. :)

KevinP likes this.
  14. WLL

WLL Popery Of Mopery

...I would presume we would have Puerto Rican gang members who look like persons of PR descent, not more-Euro looking people in tan makeup ? There, I said it. And specification as to what the ethnicity of Tony's gang is?
    I believe the " West Side " where the story took place was long-ago knocked down for Lincoln Center, IIRC. Actually, I think even the original Broadway was stated as taking place a couple of years in the past, I'll have to check that.
    Some this-century revivals of the show have changed some of the Puerto Ricans' dialogue and?? song lyrics into Spanish - would this do that? Too, I also recall reading this-century Sondheim quoted as saying that, if he had to do do it all over again, he's maybe make Maria's lyrics a bit less dealing in traditional Broadway "clever " lyrics - so as to more accurately reflect her FOB/virginal-ness. Wonder if he'd do that for this movie?

Jarleboy likes this.
  15. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

I've mentioned the latest record by Bobby Sanabria upthread; West Side Story Reimagined. I realize the SH forum isn't big on Latin Jazz BUT....this thread tells me that there's a few WSS fans hanging out! This past weekend in NYC there was a line going around 3 city blocks to get into Lincoln Center (we're all aware of the Lincoln Center/WSS connection!) for a live concert by the Sanabria big band of the music of West Side Story! I doubt all the concert-goers were of Latino descent, maybe some of y'all can get into the spirit!;) This record's an event! There's YT videos from the actual event but here's a cut from the record (that's actually a live recording from Club Dizzy's, the Jazz club located at Lincoln Center). BTW, here's a learning moment; that 1-2-3, 1-2 beat heard throughout the 1st half is actually the rhythmic foundation for 99.9% of all Latin music, it's called clave (clah-veh) and I love how Bobby incorporates it into one of the most famous Latin-related pieces of music of all time!

16. WLL

WLL Popery Of Mopery

...I looked up Internet Broadway Database (which I believe prints vintage show's original programs that say when they take place) 's listing for the first production of WSS. It opened on Sept. 26, 1957, or so...and takes place in " late summer, 1957 ". TECHNICALLY it takes place in the past...:realmad: When did Robert Moses knock down those slums to put up LC:help::confused::rolleyes:?

17. samurai

samurai Step right up! See the glory, of the royal scam.

Why?

Steve Litos likes this.
  18. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I just had a great idea, if in some way they "update" the story, they could have Steven Sondheim rework the lyrics. Last I looked he was still with us. It's called "Rebooting Broadway." And Little Johnny Williams must orchestrate to capture that 60s jazzy feel in songs like "Just play it cool, Boy."

19. NickCarraway

NickCarraway Forum Resident

1. This has got to be shot on location. For the original they got super lucky with the neighborhood that had just been condemned to make room for Lincoln Center. But the brownstones in the west 70s should be an acceptable substitute.

2. Keep as much of the Robbins choreography as possible. Especially the prologue and Cool. After they finally wrapped Cool, the cast had a bonfire where they burned their kneepads, the number of takes Robbins insisted on having been so exhausting.

3. Age-appropriate actors!!! Wood and Beymer were both 22 during filming. Ansel Elgort is already 24 and filming hasn't started. He does have a baby face though, so maybe it'll work.

4. Michael Tilson Thomas is the logical choice to conduct the orchestra. He's a Lenny protege and staged & recorded an outstanding complete concert performance of WSS five years ago.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2018
  20. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Eh, a friend of mine just auditioned for a part in West Side Story, and did not get it. I was hoping I'd have the inside scoop, but I think they're auditioning about 1000 actor/singer/dancers between the ages of 18 and 25, and I think that includes roughly half of the unemployed actor/waiters in all of LA.

21. BZync

BZync Senior Member

If they are casting unknowns, I want to play Action's Dad.

22. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Jarleboy likes this.
  23. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Has anyone heard whether the new movie's going to be a straight up version of the broadway/movie? Basically a new take on whats already been done. It's wierd, I'm SUCH a fan and yet I don't know how I feel about whether they should go 'classic' or try a new modern 'thing'. I own a bunch of different recordings of the music. Whether it's a piano trio or a big band, it's straight ahead Jazz. Except for one; West Side Story Today by Dave Liebman & Gil Goldstein. A very different, but passionate and beautiful take on the music. If they could make a movie, with THIS type of musical creativity it'd be great. My true concern is that they'll get an Ariana Grande or Jennifer Lopez popfest in an attempt to draw in the kids.

24. NickCarraway

NickCarraway Forum Resident

Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
  25. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

My guess is it's because Spielberg has never done a flat-out musical before, and it's one of several genres he's never been able to do. (Another is a Western, and I'm surprised he hasn't done that yet.)

I think the second reason is because the studio execs believe that a mass audience might embrace talented young people doing a new version of an old story, telling the tale of tough young punks on the streets of NYC, all set to a Tony-award-winning (and Oscar-winning) score. And if that happened, the movie could make big money.