Its time for the Black Friday 2013 RSD thread..........

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jimod99, Sep 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

So far no "must-haves" for me this year.. not yet at least. My wallet is thankful.

That Lee Perry is a good contender though, depending on whether or not any juicy mastering details get out.

2. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

I would like to see the four Black sabbath track not on 13 released on vinyl.

celticbob likes this.
  3. Paully

Paully De gustibus non est disputandum

Yep, no must haves for me either. Not even any real wants. But I think the list has a long way to go yet.

4. Avenging Robot

Avenging Robot Senior Member

I definitely want the Replacements, Kind of Blue and the Lee Scratch Perry. The Dylan, Doors and Nilsson are also contenders...oh heck and the Dead too...

funknik likes this.
  5. Bull Moose

Bull Moose Well-Known Member

Just an FYI, one of the majors and two of the larger indies haven't released their lists yet. More is to come.

6. Mathew

Mathew Forum Resident

I also keep going back to the Bull Moose website and looking at the BFRSD 2013 list...I might need those Paul Simon records. I might really need them. :laugh:

Bull Moose likes this.
  7. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Has a full list been posted yet ?

8. webbcity

webbcity Confused Onlooker

See 2 posts above yours. :)

9. webbcity

webbcity Confused Onlooker

I was excited to see that Rush 10" but I'm not crazy about that tune. Still...plenty of time left for many more things to be announced. :goodie:

10. oojavaguru

oojavaguru Forum Resident

We have had Warner/ADA release their list. I'd consider UMG and Sony the other 2 "majors" that have yet to release a list, but feel free and counter why one of those wouldn't be a major.

We have had a list from URP distribution, but nothing from the last remaining one stop (at least to my knowledge). So who else are we waiting on?

11. nightmoves

nightmoves Forum Resident

i have been hearing about new Albini mix of Nirvana's In Utero to come out on 2x45 vinyl(I'm not talking about the one that just came out) not sure if it is true but Rolling Stone is reporting it here.

hi_watt likes this.
  12. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

It's a bunch of "would be nice"s and "could do without"s :laugh: I just don't see me listening to a doors RSD comp when I can pull out the regular albums, in (I'm assuming) better fidelity... I do like the artwork though, very clever.

I would have loved to put out something spectacular for everyone to buy this Black Friday. Or even last Black Friday. It's really tough though, basically being super independent and trying to work with major labels and major distribution channels. Hopefully I can get the ball rolling on something soon and put out something for RSD '14. And if I have any say in the matter, it'll end up being one of those "step on everyone's toes to get one on my shelf" type of releases. ;)

Can't wait for the rest of the list. The anticipation is killing me!

13. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

RSD press release:

Legacy Recordings Announces Limited Edition Vinyl Exclusives For Record Store Day's Annual Back To Black Friday (Friday, November 29, 2013)
    Numbered Limited Edition of Bob Dylan - Side Tracks Leads Legacy's RSD Back To Black Friday 2013 Vinyl Lineup
    New Legacy Collectibles Include: 12" Releases by Cheap Trick, Miles Davis, Nas, Harry Nilsson, Paul Simon and Roy Orbison; 7" Singles by Jimi Hendrix, Sly & the Family Stone and Uncle Tupelo; Vinyl Replica CDs by the Clash
    NEW YORK, Oct. 16, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Legacy Recordings, the catalog division of Sony Music Entertainment, is rolling out an incredible line-up of collectible 12" and 7" vinyl releases created especially for Record Store Day's Back to Black Friday 2013, celebrated this year at the nation's independent record stores on Friday, November 29, 2013.

(Logo: http://photos.prnewswire.com/prnh/20060130/LEGACYLOGO)

For RSD Back To Black Friday 2013, Legacy is offering a range of historic and classic releases catering to connoisseurs of timeless sounds, from rare Bob Dylan Side Tracks to the roots of contemporary hip-hop, from punk rock to cool jazz, from 12" box sets to 7" vinyl singles to CD replicas of LPs in the Clash catalog.

Legacy Recordings Back To Black Friday 2013 releases include:

Bob Dylan - Side Tracks - 3 x 12" 200 gram LPs - numbered limited edition
    An independent record store vinyl exclusive, Side Tracks (first made available as two CDs in the monumental Bob Dylan Complete Album Collection Vol. One, released November 5, 2013) is a career-spanning collection of official Bob Dylan recordings--including previously released non-album singles, tracks from Biograph and other compilations, songs from films and more--that have never appeared on one of the artist's formal albums.

Cheap Trick - The Classic Albums 1977-1979 - 5 x 12" 180 gram LPs - numbered limited edition
    An independent record store vinyl exclusive, The Classic Albums 1977-1979 box collects the first five ground-breaking power-pop masterpieces from one of America's all-time great rock bands, Cheap Trick. First released within a breathtaking two-year creative peak period in the late 1970s, these classic titles-- Cheap Trick, In Color, Heaven Tonight, Live Budokan and Dream Police --have been newly remastered in 2013 from the original analog tapes and come packaged in original album artwork, housed in a newly-designed, numbered limited edition LP box.

Harry Nilsson - Rarities Collection - 12" 180 gram LP - numbered limited edition
    An independent record store vinyl exclusive, these 12 rare Nilsson tracks have been especially selected for this release from The RCA Album Collection, a career-spanning 17 CD collection, and include demos, outtakes and other rarities.

Roy Orbison - The Monument Vinyl Box - 4 x 12" 180 gram LPs
    An independent record store vinyl exclusive, The Monument Vinyl Box brings together the first three landmark albums-- Lonely and Blue (1961),Crying (1962) and In Dreams (1963)--from Orbison's groundbreaking tenure at Monument Records. These records are now joined by a newly-curated fourth LP, Oh! Pretty Woman - the "missing" Monument album masterpiece that could have, and should have been released as its title song, "Oh, Pretty Woman" was topping the charts in 1964.

Jimi Hendrix Experience - "Fire" b/w "Foxey Lady" - 7" single - Numbered Limited Edition
    An independent record store vinyl exclusive, these two live tracks were performed by the Jimi Hendrix Experience at the May 1968 Miami Pop Festival and have been previously unavailable.

Sly & The Family Stone - "Sexy Situation" b/w "Mother Is A Hippie" - 7" single - Numbered Limited Edition
    An independent record store vinyl exclusive, this funky 7" single celebrates the release of the deluxe Sly & The Family Stone box set HIGHER! with two previously unissued early versions of these tracks.

Uncle Tupelo - "I Wanna Be Your Dog" b/w "Commotion" - 7" vinyl single - Numbered Limited Edition
    An independent record store vinyl exclusive, this vinyl 7" includes "I Wanna Be Your Dog," a cover of the Stooges punk standard and outtake from No Depression, on the A Side with a B Side premiering a previously unreleased studio outtake showcasing Uncle Tupelo rocking Credence Clearwater Revival's "Commotion" in a preview of the forthcoming Legacy Edition of No Depression.

Nas - "Halftime" - 12" Vinyl reproduction of 1992 original
    Originally recorded for the Zebrahead soundtrack by an emerging American MC calling himself "Nasty Nas," this explosive debut, in the words of Vibe magazine, "created a niche that only Illmatic could fill." The single also launched the career of one of the most durable, provocative and poetic rappers in hip-hop history. This facsimile reproduction of the original 12" vinyl includes the full "Halftime" A-side (1. radio edit, 2. LP version. 3. LP version instrumental) and B-side (1. Butcher Remix 2. Butcher Mix instrumental). The Nas "Halftime" release provides a fitting overture for the upcoming 20th Anniversary of Illmatic in 2014 (#ILLMATIC20 /Coming 2014).

Miles Davis - Kind of Blue - 12" 180 gram LP - MONO - Numbered Edition
    The top-selling jazz album of all time, the modality of Kind of Blue found its way into classical, rock, and pop becoming one of the most influential cultural touchstones of the last half of the 20th century and one of the most transcendent pieces of music ever recorded. Davis played trumpet sublime with his ensemble sextet featuring pianist Bill Evans, drummer Jimmy Cobb, bassist Paul Chambers, and saxophonists John Coltrane and Julian "Cannonball" Adderley with Wyton Kelly playing piano on "Freddy the Freeloader."

Miles Davis - Miles & Monk at Newport - 12" 180 gram LP - MONO - Numbered Edition
    Classic live recordings from jazz masters Miles Davis and Thelonious Monk on one LP. Side One is high energy bebop from the Miles Davis Sextet in 1958 and Side Two includes two full numbers from the Thelonious Monk Quartet with Pee Wee Russell from 1963.

Miles Davis - Jazz Track - 12" 180 gram LP - MONO - Numbered Edition
    A reissue of two underrated Miles Davis sessions on one mono LP; Side One is the Miles Davis Quintet's soundtrack for the French film L'Ascenseuer Pour l'Echafaud while highlights from the Miles Davis Sextet's session on May 26, 1958 (Davis' 32nd birthday).

Paul Simon - Paul Simon - 12" 180 gram LP - Numbered - includes download card
    Remastered reissue of the recording artist's 1972 solo album, his first post-Simon & Garfunkel, includes the hits "Mother and Child Reunion" (recorded in Kingston, Jamaica) and "Me and Julio Down By The School Yard."

Paul Simon - There Goes Rhymin' Simon - 12" 180 gram LP - Numbered - includes download card
    Remastered reissue of Simon's 1973 album includes "Kodachrome" and "Loves Me Like A Rock."

Paul Simon - Still Crazy After All These Years - 12" 180 gram LP - Numbered - includes download card
    Remastered reissue of iconic 1975 album, originally produced by Phil Ramone and Paul Simon, includes four US Top 40 hits: "Gone At Last," "My Little Town" "50 Ways To Leave Your Lover" and "Still Crazy After All These Years."

The Clash - The Clash - 1 CD in LP replica sleeve
    The Clash - Give 'Em Enough Rope - 1 CD in LP replica sleeve
    The Clash - London Calling - 2 CDs in LP replica sleeve
    The Clash - Sandinista! - 3 CDs in LP replica sleeve
    The Clash - Combat Rock - 1 CD in LP replica sleeve

For RSD Back To Black Friday 2013, Legacy Recordings is also releasing--as CDs in LP replica sleeves--the essential five studio albums that form the core catalog of The Clash. These editions were newly remastered by Clash guitarist Mick Jones and were included in the monumental Clash box set, Sound System, released September 2013.

Now in its sixth year, Record Store Day is an annual day-long celebration of record store culture taking place on the third Saturday in April. This past January, RSD announced the appointment of Jack White to the post of Record Store Day 2013 Ambassador.

14. Bull Moose

You'll see more info trickle out this morning: Nirvana, some really cool soundtracks, The Stones, Omnivore's titles...

webbcity and Ben Adams like this.
  15. NapalmBrain

NapalmBrain Forum Resident

nothing of interest so far, not in love with anything the lips have done since yoshimi, live jimi 7'' isn't that thrilling, cake and X boxsets as well as the in utereo 45 mastered lp will be out of my budget, kind of blue mono sounds good but im not diehard into jazz, wipeout 7'' sounds kind of cool but it feels like I'd buy it just to buy something on black friday I may take a pass this year unless something better gets announced. Anything that looks appealing to me doesn't really seem justifiable at the price point I imagine they will be released at.

16. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

Thankfully for me, nothing worth lining up at f*** A.M. for yet.

17. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Heard some mention of a RSD vinyl for Badfinger, given the media attention from "Breaking Bad" Finale using Single-mix of "Baby Blue". Apple was scheduling double-vinyl "Best of" Legacy of Badfinger for early 2012, maybe they will re-configure running order of Tracks and issue for RSD.

If anyone hears it announced or updates to RSD List of titles, please remind us.

18. Bull Moose

Wasn't that just something someone on here said would be a great idea? Apple's distributor, Universal, released their list just now and it's not on there.

By the way, some of the new titles are
    Gene Clark
    Elvis Costello & The Roots
    Lana Del Rey
    John Denver & The Muppets pic disc
    How the Grinch Stole Christmas soundtrack
    Vince Guaraldi Linus & Lucy 7"
    Ernie Kovaks Percy Dovetonsils pic sics
    Nirvana - In Utero (rumored but now confirmed)
    Rolling Stones
    Townes Van Zandt 3LP outtakes & demos
    Zabriskie Point soundtrack
    Cake (confirmed)
    Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds (confirmed)

There are more and we have details on most of them up at http://www.bullmoose.com/c/11771/record-store-day-black-friday-2013

Attached Files:

No Static likes this.
  19. Brudy

Brudy Senior Member

Well, I usually avoid shopping on black friday, but not this year. Here's my list so far:

Miles Davis KoB mono
    Nilsson rarities
    the Van Dyke Parks 7"

20. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Whoa. Etched vinyl Super Ape? Tull's Stand Up? A Rush 10" EP? I am so in.

21. otherdimension

otherdimension Senior Member

The Nick Cave, Ladytron and Red Hot Chili Peppers are interesting me.... probably won't be able to get down under though!:mad:

22. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

Miles Davis mono for me. Possibly the Paul Simon LPs. Wasn't Clash's Hits Back comp supposed to be out on vinyl for RSD?

23. Bull Moose

It came out this week on red vinyl. It's only available in stores that participate in Record Store Day, so maybe that's why you thought it wasn't out until Black Friday.

24. serge

serge Forum Resident

i guess i'm just poor or something...i see some stuff i like...like hte billy bragg and wilco mermaid avenue ones but at $36 apiece i just can't do it..

25. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

Ah! Thanks for the clarification. I'll be on the lookout locally...

Bull Moose likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.