Its time for the Black Friday 2013 RSD thread..........

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jimod99, Sep 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. duse

duse Senior Member

So the Chris Robinson Brotherhood release is not Black Friday afterall.

2. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips? Thread Starter

I know that Black Friday RSD is US specific but this is the fist time I have ever looked at a RSD list and thought "meh"........nothing there to interest me, at least I'll save a wad of money.

williwoods likes this.
  3. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

4. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Sweet. Barring any other releases announced in the interim, I'll go for. . . .

Rolling Stones "Got Live If You Want It" 7" EP.
    Jethro Tull - Benefit (just buy a used one for $5 you say? Find me a clean, quiet copy and then we'll talk)
    Nirvana - In Utero remix
    Upsetters - Super Ape
    Zabriskie Point soundtrack

I figure that'll come in around $150 with tax all told.

apple-richard likes this.
  5. Spyder

Spyder Official vinyl solicitor and connoisseur.

The Chris Robinson Brotherhood is a non-sanctioned Record Store Day release. It's not an official Black Friday release, but the label is still treating it as one and restricting sales to the same pledged record stores who participate in Black Friday/Record Store Day.

6. duse

duse Senior Member

Thanks. I know it was on the earlier list, but now is missing. That would explain it. It is showing available on Amazon, but I know how they are. Will try to snag a copy on Friday.

7. djej

djej Forum Resident

For Black Friday RSD, there is a remix EP coming out (more on the hip-hop side) of Elvis Costello & The Roots on CD. While the tracklisting was posted on new-vinyl.blogspot.com a couple of weeks ago, I just found out how short some of the tracks actually are. There is a vinyl version of this coming out due 12/17, FWIW.

1. Cinco Minutos Con Vos - Karriem Riggins Remix Featuring Black Thought (4:09)
    2. Sugar Won't Work - Karriem Riggins beat interlude (0:49)
    3. Come The Meantimes - Karriem Riggins Remix (3:40)
    4. The Puppet Has Cut Its Strings - Karriem Riggins beat interlude (0:50)
    5. Tripwire - Menahan Street Band Rework (3:31)
    6. Viceroy's Row - Karriem Riggins beat interlude (1:22)
    7. Walk Us Uptown - Antibalas Rework (Chico Mann Edit) (5:56)

8. Spyder

Bull Moose likes this.
  9. OK. Thanks. Maybe I can purchase them later on, if they're just a standard Warner vinyl release.

10. Spyder

Yes, those LPs are not restricted to indie-retail stores and are widely available. They just happen to be using Black Friday as the release date.

11. Good to know. I definitely want the Mermaid Avenue albums on vinyl, but already have so many other titles on my RSD want list including Kind Of Blue mono, Replacements, Cheap Trick box set, Jethro Tull, Grateful Dead, Roy Orbison box, Nirvana, Zabriski Point OST), I might have had to pass on them.

Maybe I'll put the Mermaid Avenue LP sets on my Christmas wish list. :)

12. bobfrombob

bobfrombob Forum Resident

The fact that Nonesuch tied them in with Black Friday suggests they may be limited? But I haven't seen anything on numbers.

13. Spyder

only 3000 on each title

14. Paully

Paully De gustibus non est disputandum

Blogspot lists the Wilco albums as 3,000 each.

15. There's a few things on the list that look good to me but really the only essential item for me is the Sly 7".

16. JJAM

JJAM Forum Resident

Me too but I won't be near a record store that day. I'm hoping that there'll be copies left that I can pick up the following day or just buy it from Amazon when it becomes part of their usual inventory.

17. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

I am missing RSD this time around. Out of the country. Looks like this would be the one to miss though. I see one RSD exclusive that I want, The Civil Wars. And I don't want it that badly.

18. ginchopolis

ginchopolis Forum Resident

19. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

Chris, will you be doing one of your excellent preview videos this time around? This weekend would be a perfect time to upload it and build some hype for these beautiful looking releases :righton:

webbcity likes this.
  20. webbcity

webbcity Confused Onlooker

I like to use RSD as an excuse to check out new stuff. Am making my way through the list now, looking for YouTube clips of artists I don't recognize. It's kinda fun...and I usually find at least one or two new things to explore. There's a lot of focus on the "big label" stuff but in my experience the more interesting releases are often the things that slip under the radar.

21. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

Do you already have a copy of this? This is at the top my list but I have a few questions about it.

22. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Canada participates in it as well as America.

23. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

24. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips? Thread Starter

I know but Black Friday is a working day in Canada, and I suspect many stores wont receive the level of customers that they would on regular RSD.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.