It's time to reevaluate THE SWEET!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by marmalade, May 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Clonesteak

Clonesteak Forum Resident

Really? They did a cover of Paperback Writer.

2. robw

robw Forum Resident

Playing this 7" right now. It is the b-side from de coco single. Great track. Can play this a million times. I'm Lucky to have a sundazed vinyl album of the best of the Sweet. Sounds awesome, mabey a little on the bright side.

marmalade and Clonesteak like this.
  3. I re-evaluated The Sweet back in 2000 and 2001. Amd thanks to a friend who loved mostly metal but also all things 70's rock and even disco, I heard almost everything by The Sweet that existed on CD up to about 1995. In fact, searching discographies reveals there's about five or so songs I didn't hear. But I cannot argue with the fact that they were a great band, worth listening to everything they did, even if only once.

I started a long running (in terms of time) thread on them almost ten years ago. At the time, I think it may have been the first thread on them here.

In the old thread, I mention working on compiling all of their singles onto two CD's for my friend, using his CD's. Well a few hours ago, I finally got to add the missing single "Get On The Line" plus the cover of "Am I Ever Gonna See Your Face Again?" no way get ..... sorry, I'm Australian ..... anyway, that was released as a single in 1992 by Andy Scott's Sweet. So my collection is now 42 songs, spanning 1968 to 1992. To fill the second disc fully, I added the singles from Andy Scott and Andy Scott's Sweet. Totalling 155 minutes. The only remaining error in the collection (that I am aware of) is that I had to use the album version of "Mother Earth" as I could not find a good CD copy of the single edit anywhere! (I am aware of the 2010 7T's CD. I have heard it and rejected using it.)

Well that's enough talking from me. I'm playing some music on the hi-fi at the moment and I want to go listen to that Sweet sound! See you later. That's all you'll ever get from me.

** KC Big Apple Waltzes away **

Heepster likes this.
  4. stingraex2000

stingraex2000 Forum Resident

No reevaluation for me, they've always been one of my top faves. Awesome band. Unfortunately you need everything they ever did!

5. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

My favourite song by The Sweet.

Terrapin Station and Heepster like this.
  6. Heepster

Heepster Forum Resident

anduandi and Svetonio like this.
  7. moomaloo

moomaloo All-round good egg

Bumping this thread slightly to ask if anyone has any opinions on the 2017/2018 Sony/RCA vinyl reissues (reissued in the EU only I think...)? I can't find any open threads about this so I thought I'd try my luck here...

Specifically, I'm wondering about the overall pressing/sound quality of Sweet Fanny Adams and whether Give Us A Wink reproduces the original 'moving' sleeve design..?

Has anyone bought any of these?

Thanks.

8. Stephen J

Stephen J Forum Resident

When I was eight years old, in 1973, my favorite song was "Little Willy". My dad bought the 45 for me.

When I was 11 years old, in 1975, my favorite song was "Fox on the Run". I bought the 45.

When I was 14 years old, in 1978, one of the most annoying songs on the radio to me was "Love is Like Oxygen". I did not buy the 45.

Here's the punchline: It wasn't until I was around 36, when I bought a Sweet compilation circa 2000, that I realized ALL THREE SONGS WERE BY THE SAME BAND. I had always thought they were by different acts, they sound nothing like each other.

brankin172 and TimB like this.
  9. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Great band and at their best by far on that fantastic run of 70s glam rock singles. They did some good heavy rock stuff, some of it great, but that stuff often sounds like they're trying too hard to be some macho Deep Purple type band with genuinely appalling lyrics. The early covers, as competent as they are, don't represent The Sweet at their best either. It's generally good stuff, but any newcomer wanting to know why The Sweet were so great needs to be checking out Blockbuster, Hell Raiser, Ballroom Blitz, Rock and Roll Disgrace, Teenage Rampage, The Six Teens, Set Me Free, Action, Fox On The Run etc, not clichéd sub Deep Purple stuff like Done Me Wrong Alright or vile songs like Someone Else Will and Sweet FA (a shame because that one's great musically.)

10. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

“Love is Like Oxygen” is still my most-favoured song by The Sweet.

11. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

What about Poppa Joe, Fanny Fanny and Co-co?

12. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Harmless bubblegum pop. They're naff but enjoyable.

Sear likes this.
  13. TimB

TimB Pop, Rock and Blues for me!

Fox on the run might be one of the most perfect pop schlock songs ever.

Man at C&A likes this.
  14. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

I have Sweet Fanny Adams CD with some singles. It's fun and enjoyable

Clonesteak likes this.
  15. Stephen J

Stephen J Forum Resident

My old 45 of "Little Willy", bought in 1973, credits it to "The Sweet". But my old 45 of "Fox on the Run", bought in 1975, credits it to "Sweet". Did the band formally change that?

16. Clonesteak

Clonesteak Forum Resident

The Sweet were a great rock and roll band and will always a little underrated in my book. They rock and enjoy them every time I put the needle down more than the last. That is a sign of a great band. The more you listen the more you like them.

shadowlord and stax o' wax like this.
  17. aorecords

aorecords Forum Resident

Apparently not.

I'm also curious if anyone has anything to add.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.