It's Tuesday, time for Bob Wills & The Texas Playboys "Ida Red", live..

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Mar 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

As the guy wrote, Bob Wills is is cooler than the other side of the pillow..

Most people here don't give a **** but it's my forum, ha! Sticky this thread!

2. ericc2000

ericc2000 Forum Resident

3. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

my wife's grandmother was first cousins with Bob! we'd been married for a while when I found that out.

4. John DeAngelis

John DeAngelis Senior Member

That is beautiful! Thanks for the link, Steve.

5. rswitzer

rswitzer Forum Resident

Didn't the Darlings do that song on "The Andy Griffith Show"? Great stuff. Check out Roly Poly on youtube while you're in the mood!

6. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Is this "western swing"?

7. Steve Hoffman

When I was in school I worked at KLAC Country Radio in 1976 ($3.25 an hour, best job I ever had) I got to meet many of the Texas Playboys before they passed. Around that time they were having something of a Renaissance. Hearing Leon McAuliffe play STEEL GUITAR RAG right in front of me at the Palomino Club was a life highlight for me. I was broadcasting it live and I remember Leon looking over to me for the cue to come in after the commercial (which only I could hear in my cans). I felt like the happiest guy being able to witness that. Lonnie Mack was in the audience that night, as was the legendary Tennessee Ernie Ford, his bandleader and Capitol A&R legend Cliffie Stone and many of the Capitol session musicians from the 1950s..

8. ceevert

ceevert Forum Resident

Thanks for this. People should give a **** because this is about as good as it gets.

9. Steve Hoffman

Yes, by the main inventor of it.

dalem5467 and botley like this.
  10. mike65!

mike65! Senior Member

Thank you for this!

11. CaptainOzone

CaptainOzone On Air Cowbell

This music paved the way for Rock & Roll.

12. spanky1

spanky1 Forum Resident

Bob is great. Some of my favorite cds(and most played), are Bob Wills tribute cds. The 2 tribute cds from Asleep At The Wheel are fabulous, and one of the best is the old Merle Haggard tribute from the early 70's.

13. swandown

swandown Under Assistant West Coast Forum Resident

14. il pleut

il pleut New Member

I've always thought that Wills was one of the most important musicians in American music. He created something totally original out of the musical material floating around, and he managed to keep a consistent creative vision no matter what the configuration of his band at any given time. I think he was similar to (and on a level with) Count Basie in this, even though his music was of course very different.

He's one of the few artists of whom I have almost everything he recorded. Most of his records just jump out of the speakers, and swing so hard it hurts. And some of his spoken asides on the records are hilarious. The musicians sound like they are having a great time. No posturing, no "we're hipper than you" vibe, just a party- and we're all invited.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rM50ZQpSSTY&feature=related

this is one of my faves- with the great Tommy Duncan on vocals.

15. Hawkman

Hawkman Supercar Gort Staff

16. Steve Hoffman

17. GerryO

GerryO Senior Member

One of my favorite albums

[​IMG]

and the car window decal pictured on this album cover

[​IMG]

probably inspired this

[​IMG]

all of which eventually led to this

[​IMG]

ah-ha!

18. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

Way Cool!

Bob Wills is something I share with my grandfather. Last time I saw him I was playing some Bob Wills and he told me my dad (his son) hated it when he was a boy! He didn't think it was modern enough. Funny.

19. GerryO

GerryO Senior Member

Dudley Morris and jmrife like this.
  20. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

Love my old Rhino Tiffany Transcription CDs. :love:

21. padreken

padreken Senior Member

Yes, indeed-the 2 Asleep at the Wheel tribute albums are wonderful, I play them all the time. The Haggard album is a classic, Merle loves this music and you can feel it when you listen.

Combine those 3 albums with the Rhino 2 disc Bob Wills and the Texas Playboys comp and you'll have the best collection of Western Swing there is. That stuff is life affirming and makes me feel good every time I listen to it.

22. aural sax

aural sax Member

'Bout time western swing was mentioned around here. A wonderful musical genre to explore, and along with the blues, the precursor to rock and roll.

23. John DeAngelis

John DeAngelis Senior Member

Me too!

24. Larry Naramore

Larry Naramore Bonafied Knucklehead

No mention of this one!

BOB WILLS & TOMMY DUNCAN--Hall Of Fame (Two LP's on one CD). SPR-710

This is a new CD reissue (briefly on DCC as well) of the best of Bob Wills & The Texas Playboys Liberty stereo recordings compiled by John McEuen.

25. TheHypnoToad

TheHypnoToad Senior Member

Make it a trio.

Going slightly off topic here but I know that there were nine LPs/CDs in the series and the The McKinney Sisters LP/CD was supposed to start a new set of Tiffany transciptions but wasn't there supposed to be a tenth volume of Bob Wills material? Anyone know what happened to it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.