iTunes users - Is anyone having problems with the recent update?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by PageLesPaul, Jul 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PageLesPaul

PageLesPaul To be a rock and not to roll... Thread Starter

A few days ago my iTunes updated on my computer and since then it's been a disaster! It keeps trying to send everything to iCloud. Even replacing the nice sharp album covers I used from Album Art Exchange. I had to load everything back into iTunes from my files but if I close out iTunes it seems to forget some of the things I did like where the albums are sorted by release date. I called Apple and they were no help at all. They told me to load everything back into iTunes which I did but the albums keep losing the dates I input on the sorting feature. So they are out of order on my screen. I have used google but I have seen no mention of it.

Is anyone else having this problem?

2. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

Here we go! If this dumping "iTunes" thing that APPLE wants to force on us is really going to go through, I believe that they will have finally met their match on who wins - "iTunes" fans or what THEY believe is a forward move of the many cards that they have played in the past. Apple may be able to kill off my beloved iPod, but good luck killing off the platform format that gave it all life, without a very loud and possibly ugly fight!

3. Chris C

Quick question ...

Did you on your own TELL your computer to update your iTunes or did the computer do it on it's own?

4. PageLesPaul

PageLesPaul To be a rock and not to roll... Thread Starter

It did it on it's own.

5. Chris C

That's not good!

Any APPLE users (or better yet APPLE employees) here know how we can stop this from happening? I use my iTunes as a platform for my work and I can NOT have anything change with the way that it's currently set-up. or else it will not work with the DJ program that I have.

6. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

I did update to Mojave a short while back but have not updated anything in the past few days. Since updating to Mojave, it is a pain to sync my iPod touch. It used to all work automatically, but now the playlists update onto the iPod automatically, but not the actual media files. I have to go in and manually sync the iPod. What a pain. I think I may just stop right where I am with the updating.

7. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

Unless you allow automatic updates, it’s not going to update anything on it’s own. It’ll just nag you every day.

audiomixer likes this.
  8. Chris C

Thanks for the confidence (and that is the way that it has always worked in the past with the updates for me as well), although APPLE has been known to sneak an update in there, much like a complicated bill passed by the congress, when they have complete changes like your new Mojave update. I just don't understand why APPLE feels so damned compelled to kill the "iTunes" platform? I don't want it to be an APP (i.e. Apple Music), I want it to be in my computers and completely in my control. If they want to kill off the "iTunes Store" or stop me from storing my purchased music from their store in their icloud, then we can talk, but they can't take away my use of my iTunes library and/or it's platform, that is in my computers, without a legal fight.

9. charlie W

charlie W EMA Level 10

First of all, sign out of iCloud. iTunes may nag you a few times to sign in to iTunes Store, don't do it and it will work just fine. Next, go into iTunes preferences and uncheck Keep iTunes Media folder organized. That way, you control how the music is organized in iTunes. I assume you're using a Mac so this part is Mac-specific. Find the iTunes folder in your User files to find the iTunes XML file. Copy it and store it somewhere else. If the iTunes directory gets messed up or corrupted, you can restore it using that XML file. To prevent anything going up to iCloud in the first place, check the iCloud settings in the System Preferences found under the Apple icon.

Stone Turntable likes this.
  10. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I look forward to your pending legal battle with Apple over the free software they gave you, but don't overpay on the attorney.

audiomixer, JNTEX and billnunan like this.
  11. astro70

astro70 Forum Resident

Unfortunately I think the time has come where we'll have to start moving on from iTunes. I recommend VLC although admittedly it isn't nearly as nice to look at. Pretty soon iTunes will be gone, so better start transitioning now. As for syncing to iPods, you'll soon need to own a windows PC, as iTunes on mac is whats being discontinued.

12. Pastafarian

Pastafarian Forum Resident

I'm using a very old version of iTunes, not sure which one.

After a update, which turned it into a vehicle of sale, I found my current version as a download, since then I've had auto update disabled via preferences.

Perhaps the previous version you had can still be found as a download.

13. schwaggy

schwaggy Forum Resident

What?! My goodness stop spreading panicked information. iTunes is transitioning to "Music" and you don't have to upgrade to their new macOS Catalina if you don't want to.
    What happens to your massive music library with the end of iTunes? | WTOP

mr. suit, BruceS and vwestlife like this.
  14. astro70

astro70 Forum Resident

Syncing will no longer be part of iTunes, I must have misunderstood that they were going to apple music only and no localized music.

15. Steve Martin

Steve Martin Wild & Crazy Guy

Syncing will be built into the Finder, no longer in the iTunes/Music application. Music will still support your local library just like iTunes did.

vwestlife likes this.
  16. spartree

spartree Forum Resident

I just downloaded the Roon 14-day trial to give it a go...

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
    Rolltide likes this.
  17. Chris C

I have a family of attorneys so thanks for the advice! And if I paid for an APPLE computer that was said to have and support iTunes, then how legally can they just take it away?

18. Chris C

@charlie W would you please explain in a little more detail about copying that iTunes XML file and storing it elsewhere, as I would like to do that for safe keeping? Can I copy that to a flash drive or is it a huge file? (Is there a way to find out how big that file is?)

Thanks for any advice!

Also, it appears that my DJ program "DJAY PRO" by Algeriddim uses the iCloud somehow, along with the iTunes XML file to work, so I don't believe that I can shut iCloud down safely?

19. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

Well, it sounds like you'll get plenty of expert legal advice for this question and don't need me. The answer is iTunes is free software and they never claimed it would exist forever, but again, I wish you good fortune in your pending litigation. Somebody has to stand up to these tech bullies that refuse to endlessly iterate 20 year old free software.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
    AudioEnz likes this.
  20. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

What are you using for an endpoint? I guess you can use your Mac Mini as both the server and endpoint, as I did for the free trial.

21. spartree

spartree Forum Resident

Yeah at the moment it’s just the Mac Mini -> Matrix Audio X-SPDIF2 -> DAC.

Any suggestions on an improvement? Allo Digione seems pretty slick.

22. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

Yeah, I'd offer to send you it or one of my other RPi based endpoints to try out, but by the time you got it your trial would probably be over. It's definitely the best stand alone endpoint I've used.

23. spartree

spartree Forum Resident

It’s all good, thanks though. I’m liking the app more than iTunes already haha. I think I’ll grab an Allo unit anyway. They’ve had my eye for a little while now.

24. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I think it would serve you well. Something to keep close at hand is RoPieee: a RoonBridge ready-to-go image for Raspberry Pi - it's the software you flash to an SD card that makes the Allo + rPi an essentially plug and play endpoint (plug and play with wired connection, minimal fiddle for Wifi). I'd also suggest getting the metal case vs. the acrylic.

spartree likes this.
  25. Steve Lawrence

Steve Lawrence Forum Resident

I recently downloaded Musicbee. It’s everything that iTunes ain’t. Unfortunately it doesn’t recognise iPhones so I’d planned to use iTunes for my music on the go. nah! All my library has disappeared. Like a baby chucking out it’s toys. Pathetic

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.