I've been wanting to get a vinyl rig...

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Greatest Hits, Nov 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Greatest Hits

Greatest Hits Just Another Compilation Thread Starter

I recently moved and my turntable was damaged beyond repair.
    I've recently become interested in vinyl more and more and was wondering if anyone has suggestions for a good, solid vinyl rig. I would like to transfer some of my old records and 45's to CD-R so should I get some type of phono pre-amp? Any suggestions for a good set-up?

2. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

How much are you willing to spend?

3. teaser5

teaser5 Cool Rockin' Daddy

Nice catalogs are now out from Music Direct, Acoustic Sounds and Red Trumpet. Those are wonderful references. Still, that doesn't help much from a listening perspective.
    Sadly, when you walk into most so called high end audio stores and ask them about turntables they often stare at you blindly. Chains probably won't be much help; look for your local indy stores and take some of your favorite vinyl with you when you go.

Good luck and enjoy!
    :righton:
    Peace-
    Norm

4. Joe Nino-Hernes

Joe Nino-Hernes Active Member

Vinyl rocks!

What is your price range??

5. Greatest Hits

Greatest Hits Just Another Compilation Thread Starter

Honestly, up to $400.

6. vinyl anachronist

vinyl anachronist Senior Member

If you stretch your budget another $50, you can get a Rega Planar 2. That's what I'd shoot for. I assume that since your old turntable worked perfectly fine in your system before it was damaged, you won't need a new phono preamp. If you do, there are a few decent ones starting to pop up in the $150 range from Parasound and NAD and the like.

I know a few people will recommend Music Hall to you, and that'll work, too. Rega, however, has a better reliability record, and to my ears sounds just a wee bit better.

7. TontoYoder

TontoYoder New Member

This is out of the suggested price range range, but I'll post anyway--Sota Moonbeam

8. michael w

michael w New Member

9. Joe Nino-Hernes

Joe Nino-Hernes Active Member

10. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

Jared, MMF, Pro-ject, Rega, Goldring all make TT's in your price range. Along with the sites that Norm mentioned add Audio Advisor and Needle Doctor. Shop around and see what you find, lots of people here can give you advise on specific models.

Also, PM Prix, I think he sells MMF.

11. ddarch

ddarch Senior Member

If you like the diy-aspect...

If you love to do-it-yourself and work at tweaking the most out of something...you may want to look into the vintage Thorens line. The TD-147 and TD-160 Super are near the upper range of your budget, and the TD-160 and TD-145 are solid performers in the low $200 range.

For all things Thorens, visit www.theanalogdept.com

Dave

12. Dingusboy

Dingusboy Forum Resident

Hope this isn't out of line - there is a MMF-7 recently listed on audiogon worth looking at for $450.00

MMF-7

I have no affliation with the seller.

13. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Spend more than you can on a TT. Wait if you have to, push the limit. Get something worth while.

Maybe the Rega P2 and later, when you can afford it, get the arm upgraded.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.