I've decided not to run my masterings through an HDCD converter..

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Apr 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

That's a relief - I was worried I might have been tempting someone over to the dark side...

:)

2. Brian Vollrath

Brian Vollrath Forum Resident

Exactly!! What does Microsoft know about Hi-Fi? They can barely build a good operating system. :)

Galley likes this.
  3. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

I used to think I enjoyed HDCD on some great-sounding discs I own, but after browsing this thread I've come to realize I have no business discussing the subject. I'm way out of my league. I don't even understand some of the terms being bandied about here.

Dr. Mudd likes this.
  4. Zafu

Zafu Cosmic Muffin

Steve,

I realize this is a somewhat dated post and wondering a few things. First, if your opinion on HDCD has changed at all and second; if you know or can possibly contact Jeffrey Norman. He is also a sound engineer and responsible for most of the mastering & mixing of the huge volume of Grateful Dead live recordings, all done in HDCD. Many of those releases sound fantastic, however I have no idea how they may have sounded if HDCD was not used in the first place. My apologies if this suggestion/request is a bit self-serving but also think it could be a great professional exchange of info. if you two connected.

Thank you.

Zafu

5. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

My original thoughts haven't changed, sorry.

Grant, Casagrande and sathvyre like this.
  6. bgiliberti

bgiliberti Will You Be My Neighbor?

Rather a moot point, as the HDCD format is pretty much a relic. Just to be clear, I don't question our host's conclusion in the least. That said, I had the same experience as "Zafu," in that I think my HDCD discs (my cd player has a decoder) have better depth and dimension than most standard redbooks I own, and are more natural sounding. The effect is often quite striking. I wish they had put a "defeat" switch on the players, so people could hear the difference and decide for themselves.

Blue Cactus and DHamilton like this.
  7. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

But a living relic! HDCD is pretty much exclusively about being a crazed Dead Head at this point — I bought an HDCD-capable CD player just to play Grateful Dead discs — along with a smattering of older Neil Young releases plus a few other artists.

It’s nice to get a slightly higher-rez (than Red Book) playback on the pretty great-sounding Dead catalog and numerous official live box sets and Dick’s Picks, etc. But the format itself is heading for the big sleep on Boot Hill.

8. Kubricker

Kubricker Tomorrow and tomorrow and tomorrow…

Are they even still using it on the Neil Young CDs? IF he ever gets around to releasing the next batch in the Official/Original Release series tied to the Archives. But being seven years since those came out its looking unlikely.

9. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Any chance of non-HDCD remasters from Audio Fidelity?

10. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

I have some CDs that are HDCD encoded but I have never had a CD player that decodes them. Too bad nothing came out to the consumer market such as an external HDCD decoder that could be hooked up along the path between ones standard CD player to the receiver/amp.

11. captwillard

captwillard Forum Resident

I don't think it is possible. You'd have to have a HDCD capable DAC unit.

12. Steve Hoffman

Reopened by request.

George P, rxcory and therockman like this.
  13. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

My new Oppo 205 does not play HDCD so I first convert these discs to 24 bit files and play them via a USB stick on my Oppo. I still love these old Audio Fidelity discs.

14. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent

Bumping this for a friend.... :wave:

15. Steve Hoffman

Ah, memories.

rxcory likes this.
  16. George P

George P Notable Member

Can I ask, @Steve Hoffman , if you have compared any of your HDCD CDs - with the HDCD decoding - and without? And if so, could you tell us about the differences you heard?

17. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

Not now.

rxcory and Grant like this.
  18. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

So, who owns the remastered work now? Did Marshall close out the company and stuff 'em in his vault, or did they revert physical ownership to the parent label?

19. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

Steve,
    Are your concerns about SQ when HDCD encoding is played on a non-HDCD player? Or when you are using an HDCD player? Or both?

What I've independently read is that distortion is audible when playing on a non-HDCD deck, but that HDCD compatible deck playback is ok.

George P likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.