I’ve had to return 2 Blu-ray players in one week!!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Vinny123, Jun 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vinny123

Vinny123 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I can’t believe it. First I had to return a Sony X800 Blu-ray player due to intermittent loud digital hash on Blu-ray music discs. Now I have to return a Yamaha S681 for doing the same thing, only worse. I swapped out HDMI cables, checked out different discs, and even tried the Yamaha in a different system. They both exhibited this w almost every disc, and I tried about 15 different ones. What’s up w this? Bad luck or what? Now I’m playing these discs on an Oppo 83se w the same cables w zero issues. I bought these players wanting a backup to my aging Oppo. I’m glad Amazon has an easy return policy w free return shipping. I’m at my wits end. Maybe a Tascam pro player or the Cambridge audio player. What do you guys think? I really want a backup player that does Blu-ray, and SACD. What’s reliable out there? Thanks for letting me rant a bit.

2. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

What is digital hash and will it get me high?

3. Vinny123

I wish. Just loud static like sound. A song will start and generally within a few minutes the audio cuts out and this loud static starts.

Synthfreek likes this.
  4. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

It's a harsh buzz.

5. Vinny123

Buzz kill.

The Pinhead and George Blair like this.
  6. pdxway

pdxway Forum Resident

Did you check if the new players were playing back DTS HD by default and your Oppo is playing back Dolby HD by default? As I recall, my 8 years old Onkyo receiver did not like DTS and I have experienced noise issue with DTS. Dolby works just fine. It could be your receiver....

7. Vinny123

Everything is set up right, set to decode DTS Master. All displays indicate this. These discs will play fine for a few minutes and then I get this screeching static. If I advance to the next track, it will play ok for a few minutes and then back to the static.

8. pdxway

pdxway Forum Resident

Hmm, is your TV 4K TV? Was the player connect to AVR first or TV first? Is your AVR 4k capable?

As the audio is part of video stream via hdmi, I wonder if the difference was Oppo was outputting HD video and the Sony and Yamaha was outputting 4K video and thus somehow your receiver can't handle audio decoding via 4K stream.

9. Vinny123

The first player was 4K, the second was not. The discs that this happened with are Blu-ray audio music, no video. Oddly, Blu-ray w video works ok, like w David Gilmour at Pompei. The malfunctions have occurred w an Essence hdmi DAC and with a receiver w the Essence out of the loop. It even happened w the players just connected by hdmi directly into a 4K tv w no receiver or DAC involved

10. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

It's either bad luck or 2 different players acting the same does point to some set up or compatibility issue.

11. pdxway

pdxway Forum Resident

From https://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-BD-S681-Blu-ray-Disc-Player/dp/B01HGYMEKQ, it looks like Yamaha can do 4K upscale.

Interesting that you mentioned the issue only happens with music only disks.
    I guess when there is no video content, the player still needs to display the playback status and thus need to create its own 4K blank background with progress bar? May be those player just not good in doing its own 4k video with audio embedded.

12. Vinny123

Why does my Oppo work ok then? It’s ten years old, no 4K.

13. pdxway

pdxway Forum Resident

Not sure to whom you responded.

Anyway, I think Oppo cares about music playback via hdmi and they make sure when the player create its own video stream, it is in a resolution that works well with audio.

Both Sony and Yamaha might not really care about audio quality when the player has to create its own video stream when play back audio only disk.

14. BIGGER Dave

BIGGER Dave Forum Resident

Two different brand players, with the same exact problem? I find it EXTREMELY unlikely that the problem would be with the players. Can you describe your signal path?

* BD Player
    * Type Of Cable Connection
    * DAC
    * Type Of Cable Connection
    * Amp or Receiver

15. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Did this issue occur with the monitor turned on or turned off?

16. Vinny123

Turned off

17. Vinny123

The players are feeding via hdmi to an Essence hdmi DAC. From the DAC there’s an hdmi output going to my tv The DAC feeds an analog stereo signal to my preamp. Funny thing is the malfunction only happens on music only Blu-rays like Steve Wilson’s The Raven Who Would Not Sing. I’m kind of stumped

18. stereoptic

That may be the reason why the audio cuts out. I have an older model monitor connected to my Oppo 203 and the monitor needs to be on for the audio to play, other wise it plays for a few seconds, and then stops. I can leave the monitor turned on and use the "Pure Audio" function on the Oppo which darkens the screen so that it looks like it is turned off, and the audio plays uninterrupted.

Vinny123 likes this.
  19. Vinny123

What about having the tv on a different source? Set up the disc and watch cable without sound while listening to Blu-ray

20. stereoptic

I suppose that is possible, but there are others here with more knowledge than I about HDMI hand-shaking.

21. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Is there any way of disabling video on the models you tried like the recent Oppo machines? (Pure Audio setting) They may have an audio only HDMI connection. If so were you using that? Obviously not easy to tell now if you returned them. Sometimes actually reading the manual reveals the problem.

22. Vinny123

Tried the pure audio to no avail.

stereoptic likes this.
  23. Tartifless

Tartifless Forum Resident

Where does this come from ? I am not sure the player creates an empty video stream when playing pure-audio discs ...

24. pdxway

pdxway Forum Resident

Haha, from my active imagination.

My understanding about HDMi (from googling) is that there will be no audio if there is no video. Even when one is in pure audio mode, the player is still sending black screen at at certain resolution.

25. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Actually the "harsh buzz" is the Time-Warner/AT&T merger. And...it's getting louder...

Hurry - gotta get something in the house that will play hard discs, before you have to hardwire your cable bill to your Visa card...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.