I've now watched all 51 Emma Peel Avengers episodes

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Steve Hoffman, Mar 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

And I'm pooped. Just like being a kid again and watching ABC-TV on my parents Zenith in 1966.

Now I'm ready to watch them all again!

My favorite episodes in order of British broadcast:

MONOCHROME ERA:

1 THE TOWN OF NO RETURN- Introduction of Emma Peel
    2 THE MASTER MINDS-Great episode
    3 DIAL A DEADLY NUMBER-Amazing camerawork, crisp black & white
    4 TOO MANY XMAS TREES-The complex relationship between Steed & Mrs. Peel are showcased
    5 THE CYBERNAUGHTS-First American broadcast on ABC, Summer '66.
    6 THE HOUR THAT NEVER WAS-Kevin Gray's favorite, a great one.
    7 THE HOUSE THAT JACK BUILT-All-time best episode. Emma rules.

COLOR ERA:

1 ESCAPE IN TIME-Nice color design
    2 THE WINGED AVENGER-Fan favorite
    3 THE HIDDEN TIGER
    4 THE JOKER-Best color episode

:cool:

2. Claviusb

Claviusb A Serious Man

Aren't picks 6 & 7 on the same set, Steve?

3. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

Did you ever find out who the generous Santa was who sent you the DVD boxset? Just curious...:thumbsup:

4. Steve Hoffman

No, I never did. It was a great gift though. Tremendously long lasting.

Who ever you are, thanks much!

longdist01 and SandAndGlass like this.
  5. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

After that massive dose of "Emma Peel' you're still happily married? :D Good for you! :thumbsup:

(... just kidding, Steve!)

:cool:

6. aashton

aashton Here for the waters...

So have you taken to wearing a bowler hat yet Steve ;) :D

All the best - Andrew

longdist01 likes this.
  7. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Steve- did you watch these when they were originally aired, or are you a new convert?

8. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

I love the episodes with the Cybernaughts (very cool). I remember in the 80's ABC used to run the series at 3AM weeknights (or weekmornings)...

Todd

longdist01 likes this.
  9. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

My favorite is the one with the Hellfire Club. Emma Peel in leather and a spiked collar....WOOOOOF!!!! :D

I only have one of the sets. Will need to get more. Neeed.....more.....Emma.....

G E and longdist01 like this.
  10. Steve Hoffman

I remember as a kid when the first Avengers episode came on. It was a summer replacement show for (I think) Ben Casey. The first episode was The Cybernauts. Since I had a TV in my room but it was a school night, I should have been sleeping, but I watched the show and loved it. I was hooked for a while, but I probably only saw a handful of the shows originally.

When ABC put it on opposite Laugh-In, that killed it.

On my homepage is a link to a really great Avengers website. Check it out.

11. stereoptic

Yeah, that's a great site! Although I did watch the show when it first aired, I didn't really appreciate the quality of the show and the scripts" until I was in high school when a local station (WOR) broadcast an episode every weekday. I'll eventually pick up some of these DVDs.

Actually, I forgot about all of those great links on your home page. The Jerry Beck one is excellent. I check it often in the hopes that there be some news of a Warner Brothers Looney/Tunes DVD.

12. Gardo

Gardo Audio Epistemologist

Emma Peel has M (male) appeal! (That was the source of her name, IIRC.) I love that Hellfire episode too, but really she can do no wrong by me.

One of the high points of my young adult life was seeing Diana Rigg in a London production of Tom Stoppard's Night And Day back in January, 1979. I didn't know anything about the play other than that she was in it, and I was lucky enough to get tickets. Imagine my surprise and, er, delight when at one point she stepped to the back of the stage, faced away from the audience, and took off her clothes! What I would have given to be a stagehand that day.:D Yet even the view from the audience was mighty fine....

13. The Cellar

The Cellar New Member

Ah, the Emma Peel episodes . . . buying them all at the same time was the first obsessive thing I did during my first few months as a DVD collector. Then I watched them all during a three-day period. Everyone said I was crazy, but I already knew that.

14. Steve Hoffman

I had to spread mine out over a longer period. My wife is understanding, but not THAT understanding....

15. audiodrome

audiodrome Senior Member

Kind of in the same vein... How are "The Prisoner" DVDs?

SandAndGlass likes this.
  16. stereoptic

Hey Audiodrome - check out this yet:

Prisoner Website

I am not sure, but I think that this is the web site that reported a problem with the sound on Set 2, and instructions on where and how to send it back to A+E for the corrected DVDs.

Nonetheless, I bought set 2 (because it has "A, B and C," one of my favorites) - and sure enough, there was a problem with the sound on two episodes IIRC (there was a weird echo sound, like a plane flying continuously overhead). I sent the discs back (just the discs, as per instructions) and they sent back (about 5 weeks later) the entire package with the corrected sound.

I haven't bought any others yet - I can't justify buying any new DVDs when I still have some un-watched ones sitting on my shelf - but I see now that there is a new 35th anniversary collection with the alternate version of "Arrival"

17. Jefhart

Jefhart Senior Member

The Prisoner DVD's are great, once you get the corrected version of volume 2, of course. One of my favorite shows of all time, along with the Avengers. I'm currently in the process of watching all the Emma Peel episodes yet again. After that will probably start re-watching The Prisoner. One of the greatest opening segments ever, great music, love that car.

Jeff

longdist01 likes this.
  18. stereoptic

Jefhart wrote: ... great music, love that car. [/QUOTE]

Lotus Super 7
    A few years ago I was driving down 495 in Massachusets, I looked in my rear view mirror, and I see one coming up behind me! As it passed, I noticed the registration plate was "NUMBER6" or "PRISONR". :cool:

longdist01 likes this.
  19. Steve Hoffman

That sound was someone's attempt (in another country :) ) of making a surround sound version. The music/effects/dialog tracks are on separate channels. Every time there was "background noise" it was made into fake surround using an Orban or something. What ever purpose this was used for it WAS NOT used to make the DVD's, and when the sound was collapsed to MONO for the DVD, every time the background sounds came on, they were in out of phase mono, because fake surround doesn't collapse correctly to mono.

A few of the Avengers shows are like this.

Weird, eh?

20. stereoptic

Which ones, Steve? Is it throughout the whole soundtrack? Did the manufacturer offer replacements ala The Prisoner Vol 2.?

21. Steve Hoffman

A few of the later color episodes. Two episodes, I think, or maybe just one. Kevin Gray couldn't figure out what was happening with it, but from using that crappy fake stereo machine (Orban) back in my radio daze, I recognized the sound. You can't combine back to mono something that has been "Orban-ed". Everyone knows that, or should, if they are working with DVD transfers!

Don't know about the Prisoner.

22. stereoptic

thanks!

23. The Cellar

The Cellar New Member

Now you've done it Steve! Your thread made me want to start watching the entire set over again! I started last night. :)

And yes, I'm doing them at a more reasonable pace than before.

BTW: Are you sure "A Touch of Brimstone" isn't one of your fave episodes as well? ;)

longdist01 likes this.
  24. Steve Hoffman

Funny. I'm become used to watching one hour of Avengers every late afternoon. Calms me down after doing work all day.

"A Touch Of Brimstone"? Va va va voom!

The episodes I gravitate towards are mainly the ones that have more Steed/Mrs. Peel interplay. Their relationship was quite unique for that time. It fascinates me. So British; understated, yet one glance spoke volumes for how they felt about each other.

The single look that Emma gives Steed at the end of "The House That Jack Built". Full of gratitude, love, relief, etc. Unique for TV!

Love it!

longdist01 likes this.
  25. stereoptic

I haven't seen the last episode (with Emma) in years. Please refresh me - did "Mr. Peel" look exactly like John Steed, or am I forcing my memory?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.