I've received the SEARCHERS master tapes from London / Revised track listings.....

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Sep 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nobby

Nobby Senior Member

Hey Steve!

I'm gonna have to send you a copy of the Guinness Book Of British Hits Singles....

No "Goodbye My Love" :(... number 4 over here.

I'll probably still buy it though!

Nobby.

2. oxenholme

oxenholme Senile member

Please, please can this disc be available in England?

At long last a Steve Hoffman mastered SACD with the stereo versions of everything!

I'll quite happily buy four of them - one for every CD player in the house.

For your next release how's about a Françoise Hardy compilation on SACD?

3. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music

This looks excellent. Thanks for the track listing, Steve. I'm all over this when it's available--when will it be out?

4. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

When will it be out? Not a clue. But probably beginning of the year.

Reread my track listing; it's been updated a bit for you.

Some first generation stereo masters are missing, hence those songs are NOT included on this compilation. Listen to any CD or LP that has "Goodbye My Love" on it. Sound a bit, er, funky to you? :(

We've worked almost a year to find the actual master tapes of the stereo mixes. The SACD started out with 10 songs, then 12 songs, now it's at 16 and holding. You're gonna really like the sound. It's awesome on some of the tracks!

5. Nobby

Nobby Senior Member

OK :)

Thanks for explaining the reasoning!

6. Joe Koz

Joe Koz Prodigal Bone Brotherâ„¢ In Memoriam

Great track listing! I can't wait to hear this one, the Searchers were one of the best British Invasion bands that came out. Steve, I'm so happy you were able to put "Take It Or Leave It" on there, one of the best covers of that Stones song.

7. Dugan

Dugan Senior Member

Another addition to the Hoffman wing of my collection.
    :righton:

8. Richard Feirstein

Richard Feirstein New Member

Did you find any of the mono masters?

9. Gary Mack

Gary Mack Active Member

Only sixteen tracks? Even the dreaded Rhinos included eighteen. Sure wish This Empty Place could replace Everybody Come Clap Your Hands - golly, what a peculiar trade off!

As to your, er, challenge, my 1975 Pye Records (US) LP has Goodbye My Love in true stereo with vocals centered. US Pye was manufactured and distributed by ATV Records Incorporated, 3 West 57th St, New York. Any chance a few masters are still sitting over there, or wherever ATV wound up?

GM

10. Steve Hoffman

Richard,

All the monos are around; every Pye/PRT/Castle LP and CD uses them. The stereo versions were mixed a few years later and since the original early British LP's were mono only, the stereo mixes never used until the later compilations. Everything was recorded on 3-track tape. Some of the stereo mixes sound truly wonderful, without that muddy sound that the mono mixes seemed to get from that weird limiter they used on them. The stereo versions are much more open sounding for the most part. If I lived in England it would be so much easier, but I think I've got the best sounding of the lot.

11. Steve Hoffman

Gary,

Come up with some more dough for us and they will put a few more songs on there for you. :)

At the same time, if you can find me the absolute master of THIS EMPTY PLACE, I'll use it.

All stereo versions of GOODBYE MY LOVE have the vocals centered. I don't see your point....

By the way, I think I'm coming to Dallas at the beginning of next year on biz-ness. You know where I want to go when I get there!

12. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

Uh-oh....I'm corn-fused....:confused: What stereo versions were mixed a few years later? The Searchers in the U.S. were issued in stereo from their very first Kapp Lp, in spring '64.

ED:cool:

13. Steve Hoffman

I'm not being clear...

KAPP USA ordered stereo from England, yes, but all of those are dubs....England doesn't even have stereo on songs like "Ain't Gonna Kiss Ya" anymore. :(

14. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

Gotcha....and, yes, sad!:(

ED:cool:

15. Beatle Terr

Beatle Terr Super Senior SH Forum Member Musician & Guitarist

:shh:

16. oxenholme

oxenholme Senile member

I take it that the stereo "Ain't Gonna Kiss Ya" is a remix on Meet The Searchers, CMRCD 155. It sounds as clear as a bell.

This Empty Place is brilliant in stereo - I've only ever found it on the 3CD set on Sequel

17. AudioEnz

AudioEnz Senior Member

Um, visit the grassy knoll?

18. peterC

peterC Aussie Addict

It'll be no further than a mouse click away! :)

19. Steve Hoffman

SH Forum member Gary Mack is the curator of "The Sixth Floor Museum At Dealey Plaza" in Dallas.

http://www.jfk.org/

20. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

Visited there. Amazing place.

mud-

21. BZync

BZync Senior Member

Can we all chip in to pay for Hearts In Her Eyes as a bonus track? The wonderful (and nearly forgotten) perfect power pop track from 1980. What would my share be?

-BZync

22. dgsinner

dgsinner New Member

Any chance of a vinyl edition of this coming out?

23. David P. Hill

David P. Hill Forum Resident

Steve,
    Did you get that newspaper clipping on your friend, Gary Mack(Dallas, Tx) that I sent to the administrator early this week? I thought you might like that.

24. Steve Hoffman

I did, thanks. It's always a trip to read about people you know....

25. nin

nin Forum Resident

Yeah, Steve, any chance for a vinyl edition on these one??

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.