J. J. Abrams HBO Westworld series

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by soundboy, Aug 30, 2013.

1. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Not that I remember, not on the broadcast shows. I do vividly remember seeing the Bad Robot logo on Alias and Fringe.

2. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Crichton never wrote novels, he just wrote longhand screenplays.

John B Good likes this.
  3. Once again, Abrams had nothing to do with the end of "Lost". That was Damon Lindeloff and Carlton Cuse who co-produced/co-wrote much of the show after Abrams left during the first season. Abrams had little to do with the day-to-day decisions on "Lost" and little to none (beyond being a consultant) by the time the end rolled around.

Didn't like it? Blame those two. If you don't like the "Star Trek" reboots then you can blame Abrams.

Deesky and Vidiot like this.
  4. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

I watched them on blu-ray except for the last season, I'm positive the Bad Robot logo was at the end of every episode.

5. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

I think he's trying to be the next Stephen J Cannell
    Never will happen. Stephen wrote and created so many great
    tv series . Nobody that I can recall had bad thing to say
    about Stephen. JJ on the other hand .:rant::laugh:

I wonder when somebody would catch the idle hands comment.
    good eye:thumbsup:

6. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

as long as there is no "shakey camera" I'm good with this!

7. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

that were made into "cool" movies!

8. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

They didn't use it on the network credits of Lost that I can remember, which used the shrunken credits and dropped in a promo in the upper 3/4 of the picture. Although I worked on pieces of the DVD releases, I never saw the finished DVDs or Blu-rays.

9. Just watched WESTWORLD tonight for the first time in years and really enjoyed it.

Still wonder why the robot snakes and robot people start attacking humans but the robot horses remain docile....

10. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

These are good questions. And you figure, you could do a huge business just providing robot ladies-of-de-evening to well-heeled millionaires. You want to sleep with Madonna, the way she looked when she was 25? No problem. Or Marilyn Monroe? Or Grace Kelly? Sign here, and away you go. That'd be a big business. Hell with the theme park!

One could argue that Joss Whedon's Dollhouse is just a variation of the Westworld idea, only using "reprogrammable humans" as a substitute for lifelike androids. It's amazing how many android-type movies came out in this era -- this one and Stepford Wives were both around the same time, plus Questor Tapes, Robocop, and Looker (which at least had CGI replicas of humans). And then there's Dan Rather of CBS News, whom I'm convinced was a humanoid robot.

enro99 and guy incognito like this.
  11. Scott222C

Scott222C Loner, Rebel & Family Man

Instead of regurgitating old movies, they should read the "Otherland" novels by Tad Williams http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Otherland and make a script out of that - setting is somehow similar, but there are many good and fresher ideas in there and that could be an epic series on the scale of "Game of Thrones" IMO

12. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

I love Westworld. Before he became governor, I heard one of Arnold's upcoming film projects was a reboot of Westworld (that would have been interesting). I hate wasting the idea on a T.V. show.

13. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I predict this one is either going to be really good. . .or really bad.

14. They explained in the film that the computer virus that it was spreading to different parts of the world and different robots. For example, the Gunslinger was on one of the early malfunctions after the snake. It's like any virus that spreads through a population I would suppose since Crichton kind of used that idea in the film decades before the first computer virus.

15. Cannell, like any writer-producer, had his share of stingers as a writer and producer.

All Abrams usually does is launch a show, act as a soundboard and then let other people run the show (as what happened with "Lost"--the days of "Alias" or "Felicity" where he was more of a hands on producer are pretty much long gone). He hasn't really done a hands on approach to any of his series since the first season of "Fringe" (where even then he shifted almost all the responsibility over to others during the season). I wouldn't compare him to Cannell at all as Cannell was very hands on with all of his shows early. Abrams is spread out over TV and movies both and his movie career seems to be the priority.

Let's see how it turns out before judging it. Abrams has done good and mediorcre stuff.

Sometimes stuff that was promising or good would also become pretty bad (I was pretty unimpressed with "Alias" during its last three seasons although it fell into the so-bad-it's good category for me).

Never followed "Felicity".

Last edited: Sep 25, 2013
  16. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

It will be interesting to see how they continuity. Will they have some characters in the park management who stay on from week to week, like Fantasy Island? Would anyone care about the characters? They could be creative and do some 'love story' abgles where the character comes to the park to see his dead wife again, or something liek that. But I bet it will be all action. Instead of just having the park work right and generate stories, it will quickly turn into a 'battle for earth' between the bots and the people.

17. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

Deesky likes this.
  18. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Yeah, very much like Steven Spielberg. Their names have become tradable brands plastered on goods of questionable quality.

Westworld to me is like Jurasic Park with robots instead of dinosaurs. I'll give it a go.

19. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Quote: "Westworld is a dark odyssey about the dawn of artificial consciousness and the future of sin."

It's encouraging that HBO is helming this project, but, as you say, I hope it doesn't become a bad-robot-of-the-week type show. That they're alluding to a wider story of artificial consciousness is a positive (though not the 'sin' part, which is daft).

20. DreadPikathulhu

It's HBO, so it should be interesting, but I'm hard pressed to come up with a scenario that can sustain a series. The whole point of Westworld (and Futureworld, if I remember correctly), is that technology goes berserk and slaughters people. Maybe with Anthony Hopkins and Ed Harris in the cast it will be some sort of industrial espionage show? I can imagine this as a miniseries, but a full series?

21. Sounds like the rebooted "Battlestar:Galatica"

22. DreadPikathulhu

Does Ed Harris play the gunslinger?

23. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Well, HBO only does short seasons, so it's like a mini-series. I can see the story diverging whereby if self-awareness is somehow developed, some robots might feel like they're being exploited in the park and hence turn against the humans, while others might want to work with humans to achieve a more harmonious future and perhaps help them track down the rouge robots.

24. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

You're right, it does. If that's the case, I hope they steer well away from religious inspired themes, but given that quote, I now fear the worst...

25. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I think the movie explains it as a virus or problem with the early models. I always imagined it was because the guests abused the robots and snakes - had sex with them (not the snakes) and killed them (robot people and snakes), but the horses were simply ridden and so didn't rebel.