J. J. Abrams HBO Westworld series

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by soundboy, Aug 30, 2013.

1. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I can't imagine why. Have you read my previous posts and analysis?

2. Chris from Chicago

Chris from Chicago Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes

To be fair, it did start sort of slow. But somewhere around the halfway mark, the show seemed to find itself. That's when I started putting two and two together. And it started making sense. I cohesive, well thought out plot was unveiling before me.

I don't often get to accuse a tv show of being smart. This one is. I appreciate that.

Deesky and GodShifter like this.
  3. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

I'm one of the few apparently that liked it better in the beginning. I enjoyed the pace of the first few episodes.

4. Chris from Chicago

Chris from Chicago Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes

I didn't dislike it, exactly. But it was slow enough that either I didn't have a grasp of what was happening...or it was purposely a slow reveal. Either way, looking back...I am absolutely fine with the way things happened. Even at the rate with which things went down.

5. oldschool

oldschool I love tape hiss

Not bad but way overhyped. It's pretending to be more than it is. Reminds me of Matrix 2 architect scene - supposedly deep hidden meanings, while in the end it was shallow and confused. Lots of plotholes too.

Ghostworld likes this.
  6. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Given how well it tackled a myriad of philosophical, ethical, existential and technological issues, that accusation is something I would never have made about this show.

7. townsend

townsend Senior Member

How many of you guys (and gals) are gonna pony up and buy the blu-ray release? It just was posted on www.blu-ray.com for pre-order notice . . .

8. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

This is a JJ Abrams/Jonathon Nolan production so I expect the series finale to ruin the entire thing so I won't bother.

Rhett likes this.
  9. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I'm getting the blu-ray for sure.

townsend likes this.
  10. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

11. I watched this a couple of weeks back. It is pretty funny a
    Though a wee bit too brief. I would have loved to see them interacting with guests. I'd love to see HBO partner with them to make a 1/2 parody.

Encuentro likes this.
  12. Thinking about it but I have HBO so can watch it on demand, etc. if it has some cool special features I will consider it.

townsend likes this.
  13. Well that's rather defeatist. Abrams has no day to day running of the show and I doubt he has a lot of creative unit into it beyond reviewing the ideas for the season. As far as Nolan goes, what's your beef with him?

Vidiot, Chris from Chicago and Deesky like this.
  14. Rhett

Rhett Forum Resident

Echoes of Lost perhaps? If so, I know what you mean!

15. Abrams was involved only in the first seasn of Lost and was there as a consultant though and Nolan wasn't involved with Lost at all. Granted, Abrams is a derivative writer who takes other ideas and creates a patchwork Frankenstein's monster from that (The Force Awakens and the second Star Trek film--both of which were entertaining--are an example of too much fan service and not enough innovation) nevertheless, most of the stuff he has been associated with has had a certain Level of quality. Lost was run by Damon Lindeloff and Carleton Cuse from the end of the first season on as I recall and they ca,e up with the conclusion.

Encuentro likes this.
  16. GregM

GregM The expanding man

I really enjoy Christopher Nolan's work with brother Jonathan.

Abrams...not so much.

17. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

IMDb gives it a 9/10 rating.
    Accurate???

18. I think it is excellent. Highly recommended.

19. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Absolutely. It's great.

audiomixer likes this.
  20. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

It's my understanding that Abrams was only involved with the pilot.

21. townsend

townsend Senior Member

BGLeduc likes this.
  22. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

Is there a date for the start of season 2 yet?

23. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

Forecast for 2018.

24. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

22 Emmy nominations, not bad. Finally had the time to binge watch the series over the past 3 days and loved it.

And for those who thought that this show had a slow pace make sure you avoid Twin Peaks: The Return.

Vidiot and Lonson like this.
  25. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Twin Peaks is in slow-motion. But I gotta say, there's 10 minutes of good stuff in every episode. Westworld was a lot more involving and more interesting (to me).