J. J. Abrams HBO Westworld series

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by soundboy, Aug 30, 2013.

1. Ed Hughes

Ed Hughes Senior Member

I'm looking forward to season 2

2. Chris from Chicago

Chris from Chicago Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes

I forgot about how they reworked songs on this show. Nirvana sounds good in that trailer

Kiko1974 likes this.
  3. And it is a good rework IMO, if I find something from Nirvana listenable being my most hated band of all time...

Chris from Chicago likes this.
  4. thgord

thgord In Search of My Next Euphoric Groove

My biggest gripe on this front are movies and TV shows that mix the music soundtracks more prominently and louder than the carefully crafted dialogue. My hearing may not be perfect, but my default is to leave closed captioning on.

budwhite, rontoon and Bobby Buckshot like this.
  5. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

It’s a really annoying pervasive trend.

rontoon and Bobby Buckshot like this.
  6. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

4K UHD /Blu Ray cover has a nice design.

7. townsend

townsend Senior Member

And I loved the instrumental version of Nirvana's "Heart-Shaped Box" as well.

8. monte4

monte4 Senior Member

My cable company has a free pay preview this week with the first season on. I watched the first episode last night. Will watch the rest of season 1 this week while it's free.

9. mds

mds Forum Resident

Westworld season 2 begins April 22nd, looking forward to this!

EVOLVIST likes this.
  10. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025)

If you want to re-watch S1 one episode per night leading into S2, then you start tonight with S1E1 ('The Original').

11. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025)

Season One: 'The Maze'
    Season Two: 'The Door'

12. Maybe we can retitle this because Chris Nolan developed the series, Abrams was just a consultant on it.

13. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

They already did the Wyatt reveal in the season 1 finale - Wyatt is Dolores.

Kiko1974 likes this.
  14. Really? I've seen it twice but I didn't get to the conclusion that Wyatt is Dolores. I see Dolores as the oldest android in Westworld so she has plenty of experiences that the makers and technicians take for granted being erased but actually not fully. I'm not contradicting you with this, I just didn't get it but I'll rewatch it paying more attention to Dolores and see in the end to what conclusion I get.

15. NettleBed

It wasn't the intent of the show creators for this matter to be ambiguous.

'Westworld' Star Evan Rachel Wood Talks "Evil" Dolores Twist, Season 2

Evan Rachel Wood (‘Westworld’) as badly beaten Dolores becomes the dreaded villain Wyatt [Exclusive Emmy Episode]

16. GregM

GregM The expanding man

I get that she killed the original Bernard and went on a killing spree in the town, but the Wyatt mythology was created later, and an actual man (not Dolores) was shown.

17. NettleBed

Ford programmed Wyatt into Dolores. Anything else was just dramatization of the backstory, just like almost everything else that was shown in slo-mo. In fact, I just looked this up, and the rendering of Wyatt you reference here was the backstory "memory" programmed into Teddy. When actually activating Wyatt, though, Ford sent the programming directly into Dolores. Which makes sense: if the characters in the Wyatt narrative had memories of Wyatt physically being Dolores, Ford's plans never could have worked.

Again, the identity of Wyatt was not intended by the show creators to be a point of interpretation, as the many interviews and writings about the subject one can find by Googling would attest. Dolores was Wyatt.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
  18. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Yeah, it's run its course. But it was a compelling subplot. I just thought there could have and probably should have been more to it than just uncovering Dolores as the murderer. The symbol of the child's toy maze suggested a more convoluted myth. But I did rather like the way Ed Harris' character set about uncovering the secret.

19. rjp

rjp Senior Member

previews show things happening outside of westworld, could prove to be very interesting.

20. GregM

GregM The expanding man

I hope it goes deeper than robots seeming more human than their creators. There will apparently be other themes in westworld other than the "wild west" including the Japanese samurai shown briefly in Season 1. I'm sure there will be a more modern adventure in the theme park, so who knows if that's what the preview shows or if those events are really happening outside Westworld.

21. mds

mds Forum Resident

I hope it can maintain the element of mystery and discovery that was so crucial to the first season. Figuring out that three time periods were going on and the re-use of the robots was as much or more of the enjoyment than the basic story. It looks like they are moving more towards action in this coming season. I am not sure how that will maintain my interest through an entire season.

22. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Jonathan Nolan is a master of these themes of nonlinear time and a long-hidden secret, often involving a child (I had previously attributed this to his brother). I think these themes are built into JNolan's DNA. Frankly I can do without the time jumping around as that is gimmick to hide holes in character development. The writers really need to dig deep and tackle AI and pay off what it means to be human vs serve humans, but maybe that will come in subequent seasons or some type of grand finale. Frankly I like the action. It's done very well. Excellent product values. And the ability to transition between western and sci fi genres makes it super compelling. I hope it can maintain or exceed that level of intrigue by adding more genres, such as the samurai thing.

23. I started watching Season 1 again in preparation for Season 2. I've only watched the first episode so far. It's actually amazing how many hidden gems are in the first episode, as I'm looking forward to what I know will happen.

This is going to be a deep dive.

Does anyone remember where the Yul Brynner character was in Season 1? I recall a cameo, in the background, but not exactly where. Does anyone else recall this?

24. Chris from Chicago

Chris from Chicago Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes

It's been a while. But I think he was on a poster in a basement where they tried new stuff (lordy that sounds vague and uninformed) where Anthony Hopkins shot Jeffrey Wright.

I've been thinking about this series. Wasn't there a timeline situation where William was really a younger version on the man in black?

And Wyatt was Dolores? But I don't recall what made her Wyatt.

Know what? I don't remember any vital details that I feel I should remember. I may rewatch too.

25. Yeah, the show is definitely good enough for a rewatch in my book.

I found it. Brynner is in the basement, alright. Episode 6, though he's a fully built automaton, not a poster, only decommissioned, which just gives hope to a fanboy of the original film, like me, that the film in the TV show are tied in with one another, even on a cursory level. They're not, though (at least from what we've seen so far). Regardless, it's intimated that the original "Man in Black" was once a fully functioning part of this version of Westworld. That's good enough.

[​IMG]

But yeah, William is the new Man in Black (Brynner was grey, though, wasn't he? The film posters show him in black, though he is credited as "The Gunslinger"). Wyatt is, indeed, Dolores, but I don't recall the intricacies of how that happened. Thus, another reason to rewatch, as a refresher.

Okay, so it's time to go torture myself with yet another good-for-nothing season finale of The Walking Dead. (Prays for Better Call Saul & Ozark.)