J. J. Abrams HBO Westworld series

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by soundboy, Aug 30, 2013.

1. I'm also thinking, isn't it a little bit contrived that the automatons begin misfiring as soon as William, AKA The Man in Black, starts play a different tune with the system?

Ford has a new vision, and this all of sudden coincides with William's new vision?

A Note: Episode 2, Theresa Cullen, the big bad overseer from the board, who is also having sex with Bernard, calls out Bernard as a robot as early as this episode, when Bernard is explaining to her why the robots talk to each other all of the time, even when guests are not around. She says something to Bernard like, "Like you're doing now?" Ah ha! Yes, like Bernard is doing now!

2. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

What about Richard Benjamin making a cameo ?

3. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

im looking forward to this but I had mixed feelings on season one, loved the cast and the idea but some of it seemed half baked and padded out.

alexpop likes this.
  4. alexpop

Cast ? ED Harris underused.

Story? Found it a tad boring.
    Only character that I have empathy with is Maeve Millay.

Hope S2 goes full throttle, no slow burn BCS.

5. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

I started binge watching Season 1 as a prep for Sunday and got through the first 5 episodes yesterday (my 2nd time watching the season). My friend and I have been discussing the Wyatt character and the possibility of other "characters" playing Wyatt over time, like Delores. Some have seen flashbacks of Wyatt and it's a guy, not Delores. Of course these could be programmed memories. We're also trying to figure out how Wyatt and Delores can coexist in the same timeline (like when young Wlliam and Delores are in Pariash for the first time), another thing that makes me think that different hosts could have played him over time.

6. alexpop

What's the ratings on this show?
    Better than LoSt?

7. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

I'm bingeing season one because we have the free HBO preview going this weekend, and I have many many questions which I won't bore you Westworld fans with, except for this one (and it's a little complicated, but I'll try to be succinct): The whole purpose of the hosts is to interact with guests. Their whole purpose for existing is to further paying guests experiences within the park (I'm assuming-unless I'm wrong?). Why then do we see hosts interacting only with other hosts (I'm primarily referring to Dolores interacting with her father and with Teddy in episode one)? What is their purpose interacting with other hosts when there are no guests anywhere near them?
    Otherwise, carry on and I'll be catching up to you all in due course. I'm liking the show but it's a brain twister (and I slogged through The Leftovers).

8. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

The purpose is not just to interact with guests. Characters are involved in their own story loops to make the experience seem all the more real.

EVOLVIST and GentleSenator like this.
  9. alexpop

^How can you binge watch, the six season ( it hopes) show is only on season 1 ?

10. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

OK, does "bender" work? How about "feasting"? What else do you call watching a bunch of episodes of TV in one sitting (besides a critical forfeiture of brain cells)?

All the more real to whom? Nothing is real to robots. Again, maybe it's my supposition, but it only has to be real to humans, unless the interaction between hosts adds to their ability to interact with guests. In which case, ignore my question.

11. alexpop

Devoured season 1. :laugh:

Splungeworthy likes this.
  12. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

To the guests. You can't create a convincing reality if the hosts only interact with the guests.

Splungeworthy likes this.
  13. alexpop

Don't have any empathy to any of the characters, cept the robot /android Millay.

14. Dayfold

Dayfold Forum Resident

That's exactly it. It is mentioned in the show at some point but I can't remember when or by who, sorry!

rontoon and Splungeworthy like this.
  15. GregM

GregM The expanding man

The whole point is to highlight the illusory ways wherein androids/AIs are more human than their creators.

alexpop likes this.
  16. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

Hey, it's Floki (from Vikings)!

Chris from Chicago likes this.
  17. Chris from Chicago

Chris from Chicago Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes

Okay... my advice... don't watch this three bourbons in and then decide to post an opinion online.

This is all over the place. Not the episode. But my thoughts on it.

It was visually stunning. It was bigger, faster and creepier than season one. It was like the bionic episode. And...Floki.

I found it weirdly easy to root for the uprising hosts. They'd been abused by humans for so long, it's about time for the tables to be turned.

Hey... Ed Harris... you're a human, right? Don't you eat that hanging bacon. Creepy little kid talking to you in his warped robot voice. And you're stopping for bacon? Whatareyounuts?

Another time warp. Bernard is running with lady boss... and with Floki boss? Which is in the now? Or... is there no now with this show?

How did Bernard's handprint DNA get him into the... basement to safety?

GentleSenator likes this.
  18. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Well, I found that tedious and a chore to sit through unfortunately. Couldn’t really see anything redeeming about the opener. It felt really false to me.

19. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

I believe that the Floki boss is the "now". It's after all of the hosts are found dead in the artificial lake (supposedly).

20. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Good to see the show back. Nice episode, setting the table for things to come and wrapping up from last season's finale (which I rewatched first). The show continues to examine existence and what makes things 'real' and not-real.

I loved how in the S1 finale Maeve thinks how she's now in charge of her destiny and yet her rebellion seems to have been written into her code (as revealed via the pad code dump). When confronted by this reality, Maeve simply refuses to believe it - she's in charge of her own actions and motivations! The determinism vs free will debate and can we ever know what drives us?

In the S2 opener we have more examination of self. Dolores proclaims to Teddy: "the things that walk among us, creatures who look and talk like us, but they are not like us...". It's such a powerful line because it's exactly what a real human would say about the 'hosts'.

Great show.

21. Bender Rodriguez

Bender Rodriguez RIP Exene, best dog ever. 2005-2016

Anyone else think the "animals" in the parks are already sentient? No one knows they are sentient yet because they communicate mostly non-verbally as animals do. The tiger may be a hint at that plotline. Also, there are at least SIX PARKS!!

22. Chris from Chicago

I have to wonder, are the newly uprising hosts actually doing so because they are self aware? Or have they been programmed to do so. At first glance they are rebelling against what they've been wired to do.

But... it seems like Dolores was programmed to kill Ford in the season 1 finale (probably by Ford himself)... effectively starting the uprising. And it sure seemed like Maeve could have left the park in that same episode, when she turned around and went back to find her daughter (as if she can't really leave).

Deesky likes this.
  23. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

So, I assume the show will go back and forth , and we won't know 'till the end if Bernard if 'with the humans' or 'with the robots'!

24. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Yes, that's the conundrum about the philosophy of free will. Maeve did have programming to act in a certain way, but did she break from that programming by returning to look for her daughter (instead of entering the real world via the train)? Humans are also susceptible to false or implanted memories, so are our actions any more 'real' than Maeve's if we choose to act on those memories?

Also, the big difference now is, as Dolores says, that she can remember everything, which is a game changer for the hosts and a big part of being self-aware.

25. Chris from Chicago

Did all of the hosts start killing the guests as soon as Dolores did? Because it seems like they're all killers now.

Does the Man in Black smile after being in a shootout because he likes living in a world where the hosts can fight back? Seems like it. But it also seems counterproductive as he is (I think) the owner of the park.