J. J. Abrams HBO Westworld series

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by soundboy, Aug 30, 2013.

1. mds

mds Forum Resident

Maybe this is why they are looking for the duplicates to place them as though it were them killed in the flood and then they scoot out the backdoor.

2. If Bernard is a host that passed unnoticed, is it possible that there are more hosts passed as humans even on the higher levels of the company?

GentleSenator likes this.
  3. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

i have a feeling that's exactly what we'll discover here very soon. my money is on william.

BGLeduc likes this.
  4. William? No friggin' way! At least I certainly wouldn't imagine it. William was keeping watch over his father-in-law's failed attempts to "ressurect." If William was a successful attempt, that would make no sense. Unless, that is, there are two Williams, but even then, how does one explain Mr. Delos not taking to it as a hybrid robot/human?

Then again, we really don't know how much time has passed between William's last visit to Delos, and when Bernard ran across a maniac Delos. I think the dead tech at the door was the same tech that William instructed not to burn the current incarnation of Delos.

Could enough time have passed to perfect a hybrid William? Maybe.

Chris from Chicago likes this.
  5. Chris from Chicago

Chris from Chicago Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes

No way. Hosts don't get older. They stay exactly the same.

Watch us get proven wrong now.

rontoon likes this.
  6. Werner Berghofer

Werner Berghofer Forum Resident

I suppose the only reason was that the makers wanted to show a detailed, cruel beheading preceded by an erotic, stylized dance scene. In my opinion the first “Terminator” movie from 1984 is a wonderful intellectual challenge compared to this second season of “Westworld”.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
    Leviethan and Splungeworthy like this.
  7. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I think its main purpose was to educate Maeve. She was able to see that her own story was mirrored by another's and she could have reacted with anger or with empathy, and she chose to act with empathy and identify with her "counterpart" and aid her.

As a result I think Maeve learned a lot about the hosts and the power of the emotions and bonds/imperatives planted within them. She knew most of what she had learned intellectually, but this transplanted example drove the points home.

Just how I see it.

8. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

by the series finale we learn.....we're all robots...maaaannnnnn
    juat kidding, maybe not. but there will be a big reveal at the end of this season at least...

9. marmalade166

marmalade166 Sous les pavés, la plage!

A superb rundown of the last episode

10. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

That's the best, most insightful recap I've ever come across. Thanks for posting!

marmalade166 likes this.
  11. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Well, informative last few episodes.

Some very nicely recorded piano featured in this latest!

12. marmalade166

marmalade166 Sous les pavés, la plage!

What an absolutely gorgeous episode last night, on so many levels

EVOLVIST, Ed Hughes and PhilJol like this.
  13. rjp

rjp Senior Member

12 minutes to try to explain a one hour TV show............it's all too much..........time to tone down a little and just tell a simple story or two.

Werner Berghofer likes this.
  14. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Last night's episode was fairly straightfoward.
    IMO, I hope that they don't tone it down. There are very few television shows and motion pictures that require the audience to think and connect one action to another.

wayneklein, EVOLVIST, Deesky and 2 others like this.
  15. PhilJol

PhilJol Forum Resident

Sometimes there is too much stuff is going on but often I find it mesmerizing (like last night)

16. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Except the recap didn't just deal with a single episode. It had extensive callbacks to previous seasons for context to better see the big picture, including speculation about what's to come. I hope he does more of these.

Very nice episode that ties in with prior events nicely. It's an intricate, well thought out narrative web.

stereoptic and rontoon like this.
  17. lschwart

lschwart Senior Member

This new episode redeems a host of sins that have been dragging on this season. This is a full-on return to some narrative action closely, deeply, and poetically woven into the thematic fabric that season 1 kept implying was there without fully showing its patterns. Lovely!

This story has always been (yet another) version of Frankenstein, and I'm not sure it's exactly gone beyond its original, but it has always suggested the possibility of becoming a very rich elaboration on Shelley's ideas, and this week was the first time I really felt it realizing that potential.

L.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
    Wingman and GentleSenator like this.
  18. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

true! Im finally caught up and kno...(think) I know everything that's going on. a friend asked if its a good show and if she should start with season two....ha!

marmalade166 likes this.
  19. stereoptic

As much as I really like this show, I hope that it does not extend beyond 3 seasons. Maybe an extended or 'split' 3rd season. Although the plot and screenplay is very tight, I think too many episodes there may be a tendency to pad it a bit. So far, they haven't been introducing new characters, which is a sure sign of stretching it. Correction: - any new characters have been terminated quite quickly!

rontoon likes this.
  20. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

You don't say. It's just cretinous the way the stretch out storylines, slowly dripping out little clues, episode after episode. Handmaid's Tale suffers from the same thing. They really take their viewers for mugs.

21. Chris from Chicago

Chris from Chicago Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes

I think the last episode was beautifully filmed. It truly looked fantastic.

Ghost nation guy had a compelling story. Self-Realized. Knew he was on repeat. If he died, he'd re-find his love. Found a door. His realization was like Maeve's really.

This. Is. A. Slow. Burn.

Deesky, marmalade166 and rontoon like this.
  22. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

As of when they were in the middle of Season 1, they were thinking along the lines of 5-7 seasons:

'Westworld' has already figured out the next 5 seasons

23. stereoptic

Thanks for that. I'm relieved that the story line is charted out and that they aren't going to shoehorn in plot twists to realign story arcs (like LOST).

rontoon likes this.
  24. lschwart

lschwart Senior Member

Talk about ups and downs (last week up; this week down)!

I'm glad to have some more information about what's in the valley, but it's a little disappointing in several ways beyond the new urgency about what a host might do with it all out there in the real world. The family drama was even more disappointing to me. The big reveal about the wife is soap opera, late-evening-TV-by-the-numbers stuff, and William's big darkness turns out to be what we knew about him all along? So? This is what makes his wife kill herself? An addiction parallel to hers, a need to give vent to violent impulses in his own park (and--oh the irony--he's undone by the product of his own project...)? I didn't buy the killing of the daughter and the guards at all. It doesn't strike me as a convincing indication of his deeper darknesses. It just felt like a stupid, reckless mistake made by someone not really likely to make such a mistake. I can accept the idea that he wants to destroy the database in the valley to undo what he has set in motion, but it would have been nice to have understood that earlier and to have had the relationship between that and Ford's game more clearly explained--it's a hell of thing to be uncertain about at this stage of the story. And aspects of this motivation still remain unclear--for example, what's remorse about the project and what's about the park itself? I have no idea what all the "is this real" stuff is about, too, and maybe there's still another layer yet to be revealed--having no doubt to do with why William is about to stick his knife into his arm. I guess we'll see.

The stuff with Bernard this week was very good, however, and so was the beautiful scene with Ford and poor supine Maeve. I'm glad to see from the new teaser that she will be back in action in the season finale. I saw Teddy's suicide coming too easily, so that muted the power of that moment for me, but Evan Rachel Wood's reaction was genuinely moving, and it will be interesting to see how that suffering affects her in whatever action is coming next.

Once again, I wish I could just binge through the end of the season already. I'm still so impatient to just understand the basics of the story. I miss the mythic, theological elements that so powerfully drove last week's episode and that only make their appearance this time in Fords appearance to Maeve.

So after a truly stunning episode last week, I'm back to being entertained in mild ways while mostly feeling dissatisfied and impatient.

L.

25. rjp

rjp Senior Member

spoiler

so, is the 'man in black" human?