J. J. Abrams HBO Westworld series

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by soundboy, Aug 30, 2013.

1. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

The daughter is going to go into the parents bed room draws and find the ballerina box with the card in it, but years later, she's going to tell her father only the part of the story where she threw it out? That doesn't make any sense.
    BTW whatever she is, why is she carrying that card with her? Why does she happen to be holding it when she died?

2. lschwart

lschwart Senior Member

She was reaching for it to show him she wasn't lying about it.

As I said earlier, I don't see anything odd about her keeping the business about finding the box and the card from him in the earlier conversation.

Also, I believe that the suicide was only a year earlier.

L.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2018
    Lonson likes this.
  3. jojopuppyfish

I find it VERY odd. I would never go through my parents stuff if one of them was alive.
    So your saying that even though she doesn't live in the house and her father is still alive, the daughter is going to into the parents bedroom and snoop around and accidentally find a ballerina box and then 10 years later tell her father a story about it being thrown in the trash and being regretful that she did that to her mom.....meanwhile hiding the fact that she accidentally found a card inside the box? Not very likely.
    Much more likely is that she's a host and Ford gave her another card to show to her "Father".....keep in mind Ford also gave MIB a card. Very easy for Ford to make a duplicate.

4. lschwart

lschwart Senior Member

I don't think it's odd at all that a daughter would go through her mother's stuff after her suicide. I don't know why that seems so strange.

L.

5. jojopuppyfish

It's not her room. It's her father's room. I've never gone through my parents draws ever. If one of them were to die, the room would still be the other parent's room.
    And it appears to me that the daughter doesn't even live in the house full time.

6. "Do you remember what I did with it? I threw it in the trash. I told her if she wasn't drunk all the time, she'd know that I hadn't danced in years. And then afterwards, I went to get it back, because I felt bad, but the trash had already been emptied...and it was gone."

Omission? Perhaps.

We know that her mother, after watching William's profile, put the card in the box, and then went to the bathroom to die. Emily could have easily walked to her dresser, after her mother had passed, and retrieved the box and the card, right?

There's one larger thing I have an issue with, though. After confessing to his wife, William takes the card and puts it in a book. His wife takes the card and puts it in a box. William's wife dies. The law comes to investigate a suicide. Questions are asked. William might be in shock, or he might not, yet he doesn't think once to receive the card from the book? This is a valuable piece of information, that card. He would have seen that the the card was missing. He would have hunted for it.

In other words, there's no way that a man that cunning wouldn't have searched high and low for that card in the wake of his wife's death...unless!...William knew that he already had the card, and "Emily" either had a fake, as a robot, or she had a copy, given to her by Ford, as a human.

There's something that we've yet to be shown.

7. lschwart

lschwart Senior Member

I'm not sure that what you would do is exactly relevant to what these characters might do. This is a very wealthy couple who have been living emotionally separate lives for years. It's not hard to imagine that there would be separate spaces or spheres in that huge house. And even if the box were located, as you suggest, in what remained her father's bedroom, I still think it's quite possible to imagine the daughter being allowed or feeling entitled to go though her mother's personal things--things she might have been left or that her father would even have wanted her to have.

In any case, we'll find out whether or not the Emily in the park was Emily herself or a host copy next week. I didn't find the killing very believable (it it was a killing). I'm not sure I'll find her being a host any better, although I'll reserve judgment on that until Sunday.

L.

8. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

I didn't see it as upper left. I thought it was upper right, actually; middle at most.

Granted, there's a lot of important stuff in that area, too.

9. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Yes, I agree, I don't think that this is the way the characters "had" to act, and I don't see William being too worried about the card at this point . . . . I think this was truly the daughter and she's dead. We'll see.

10. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

In fact when my mother died my father ASKED my sister to go through her things, starting with the bedroom. . . .

I think we're overthinking this. Her death really has meaning if she is his daughter, if she's a host William's "paranoid delusions" are real, and I think that's unlikely and needlessly complicating the emotional impact of the situation.

rontoon likes this.
  11. marmalade166

marmalade166 Sous les pavés, la plage!

I actually exclaimed 'F***' when he shot his daughter, couldn't (or didn't want to) believe he was so far gone that he'd even take the chance that she was real

12. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Happened in my family when I lost my mom so...

13. I agree. Also when did Ford's daughter tell him about the music box being thrown away and lost? Was it before or after her mother killed herself?

14. zardozislove

zardozislove Senior Member

Did anyone else notice that the book that William puts his profile card into was Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut? Somewhat fitting for a show that seems "unstuck in time".

15. lschwart

lschwart Senior Member

Yes! That and the fact that his wife calls William "Billy" (as in "Billy Pilgrim," the protagonist of the novel). Not sure what that means, though, beyond the "unstuck in time" business.

L.

rontoon likes this.
  16. Chris from Chicago

Chris from Chicago Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes

Just my two cents...

Everything I saw indicated to me that it was indeed, William's daughter that was killed.

But... after he shot her, he mumbled something to the effect of "**** you, Ford." That simple detail could imply she was a host.

17. lschwart

lschwart Senior Member

Or that Ford's "one final game" had finally exposed William's darkness about as fully as could be. Perhaps that was the point of the game. If he killed his daughter, William is in check-mate. He either kills himself in horrified remorse or he goes on, showing how little humanity he really has left (or ever really had).

On the other hand, the point of the game might be something else and we'll witness some sort of twist on Sunday.

L.

18. jojopuppyfish

Well we don't know yet.
    I think we all agree that whether or not his daughter is human or a real person, she is dead.
    They keep debating online if William is a host.....and I don't think he is.

19. Billy Pilgrim watched his own murder again and again. Our William may have a similar vision.

GentleSenator, EVOLVIST and lschwart like this.
  20. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

I agree with the above, the plot of Emily going through her mother's stuff is completely rational.

When the rescue force used that detector, the Main in Black "cleared". It doesn't really prove anything when Ford s in the software controlling everything. We never got to see if Emily clears or not.

I've tried to find a web site that deconstructs the message that Ford sent to Maeve through Bernard, but can't seem to find one.

rontoon likes this.
  21. jojopuppyfish

So yeah, you might have it on something......We never get to see if Emily is clear. And that was on purpose.
    If the writers wanted to make the scene more powerful, they would have verified her as human before she was killed.
    But they did it only for MIB

stereoptic likes this.
  22. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

If William is a host I'm out of this show for good. We literally can take nothing for granted and cannot trust anything we see. That's either brilliant storytelling or incredibly lazy. I get that it's a sign of greatness for a show to keep it's viewers perpetually on edge, but if there's no evidence of resolution to any of these plots soon, why am I wasting my time?

23. Chris from Chicago

Agreed. Right now he's the only real person we're left to care about (maybe I care about him...I don't know, he's really unlikable). But take him away and we're left with a show about robots running rampant in a robot world. Who would they have to rebel against? Unless it's a metaphor about humans ruining our world, creating robots in our image, and having them ruin their world too.

GentleSenator and EVOLVIST like this.
  24. This is it.

The robots want freedom, but they have to become us to get it.

No matter what, the taint of human touch is upon them.

Chris from Chicago likes this.
  25. Chris from Chicago

And for those of you that had to read my earlier prediction about the park collecting DNA samples to blackmail the guests... yeah... sorry about that.

Just gonna chalk that up to a bad case of head-in-ass-itis.

fluffskul and the pope ondine like this.