J. J. Abrams HBO Westworld series

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by soundboy, Aug 30, 2013.

1. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

yeah im still in but when anything can happen (maeve suddenly controls all the hosts with her mind another example..)
    its hard to be concerned for her safety or anyone.
    hosts are human, humans are hosts. we need some groundrules here
    ps mib killed 3 human guards right? regardless of whether his daughter was real...hes legit gone off the deep end

Splungeworthy likes this.
  2. fluffskul

fluffskul Would rather be at a concert

There's something to Delos going off every time he sees Bill. The last time one of the scientists said something to the effect of "I don't get it, he's been completely stable for XX days," as he quickly deteriorated when Bill came in and they had their fidelity conversation.

I don't quite know what that meant. But I think its telling us something about Bill, rather than something about Delos, since they killed him off permanently that same episode.

3. Chris from Chicago

Chris from Chicago Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes

I think it said more about the parks inability to put someone's (Delos) consciousness in a host and have it be a success. It would work for a while... and then fail. I wouldn't wager on it on whati'm saying to be so, of course. I'm not sure William played a role other than checking on his father in law.

fluffskul likes this.
  4. fluffskul

with this show i'm grasping for straws... i like the mystery aspect of it, but I think the mystery is better when we get some solid answers here and there... they've got me invested for at least another season though based on what I've seen so far. hopefully the finale closes some story lines/timelines, so it has space to grow.

Chris from Chicago likes this.
  5. Chris from Chicago

Chris from Chicago Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes

I hear you. I'm still watching. But i'm not absolutely positive I like it. Let's see if the finale gives us some answers

GentleSenator and fluffskul like this.
  6. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Make sure you watch the stinger after the end credits.

BGLeduc and fluffskul like this.
  7. fluffskul

watched it by accident! i had to pee... and as i walked out of the bathroom there was william!

rontoon likes this.
  8. Loved it. Confusing AF, but thats SOP for this show.

9. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

Yes, I was a little confused by the ending, particularly regarding Dolores. Am I the only one who was a little confused by her identity in that last scene? The post-credits scene was a bit puzzling as well. Either I missed something or these two scenes were intentionally confusing, questions set up to be answered next season.

I loved the finale! It was a great cap to a great season! It topped the first season, in my opinion.

rontoon likes this.
  10. marmalade166

marmalade166 Sous les pavés, la plage!

I found this a useful watch after the episode ended...

stereoptic, Encuentro and DigMyGroove like this.
  11. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

Oh yeah folks, better sit though those credits for an ultimate truth reveal! I don’t usually re-watch episodes, but this finale I just might.

It just occurred to me that a certain action near the end of this episode mirrored that of the “Lost” finale, yet unlike that show was thoroughly logical and satisfying. I’ll definitely be thinking about this episode today and very much look forward to reading commentary and analysis.

rontoon likes this.
  12. jpelg

jpelg Forum Resident

What the heck did I just watch? The finale gives very few "answers", and even those lead to more questions.

What a mess. A beautifully filmed mess, but still a mess.

GentleSenator likes this.
  13. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

There was no mess, just a wonderful finale!

14. Madness

Madness "Hate is much too great a burden to bear."

Damn I didn't watch through the end credits; hopefully my DVR will still have it in the recently deleted pile and I can check it out.

So for William's daughter being a host or not. My thought is that the pile of hosts near the evac spot included Emily, so to me that means she was a host, and the fact that William was in a tent getting treatment means to me that he is not a host.

15. lschwart

lschwart Senior Member

The end credit sequence raises questions rather than answering any. I'm looking forward to seeing how the next phase of this story unfolds now that, finally, everything is in place for the out-of-park action, but I can't say I found this elaborate set of twistings and untwistings particularly satisfying. I'd much rather the story unfold with more attention to the ideas and the more complex emotions it's been playing with than with it's own hide-and-seek narrative games. I know I was supposed to feel a kind of revelatory shifting of the pieces in all of this, but it felt tiresome and a little cheap to me. Suspense and anticipation are fine in a season finale, of course, but the last thing I wanted at this point was more teasing uncertainty about who is what, etc.......

L.

jpelg and GentleSenator like this.
  16. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

It's much more complex than that. When you watch the end credits you'll discover that...
    They are both hosts in a far distant timeline where she is checking him for FIDELITY.
    Westworld Director Explains That Brain-Melting End of Credits Scene

17. lschwart

lschwart Senior Member

Oy! This leads me right to the heart of the problem I have with this series. All of these ideas percolating around ,and I don't see what any of them have to do with all the over-elaborated narrative layering. I get what the story, laid out in a more straightforward way, is about, but why the hell is it told is such a slanted, elaborated manner? What's the point of all the coy hiding of key facts? It's not suspenseful, and it's not mysterious either. It's just frustrating, and the revelations offer no catharsis. The elaborate explaining in that Vanity Fair piece just makes me want to scream! I like the story itself, but why tell it in a way that requires all of that elaborate explaining? Unless you have some important thematic reason for tying things up in knots and puzzles, just tell the damn story!

L.

John Moschella and GentleSenator like this.
  18. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

So...now, I gotta watch them all again?!?!?
    ...to see when I THINK Hale is Delores in Hale's 'robot body'????

xdawg likes this.
  19. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Well for many of us it's part of the fun of watching the show.
    I'm off for the summer and plan to binge watch S2 again soon. Gonna wait until I go through the YouTube recaps and eventual timeline chronological "rebuilds" of S2 first for better insight on the second viewing.

xdawg likes this.
  20. lschwart

lschwart Senior Member

That's fine, of course, but for me, if I'm going to be asked to solve a puzzle to get at a meaning, I'd like the meaning to have something to do with the puzzle. I like solving puzzles for puzzles sake, but a thematically rich narrative like this deserves to to be delivered in a more organically related, purposeful manner.

L.

21. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

If you assemble the pieces the wrong way (or can't figure out how they all go together) you won't see the true picture/meaning, simple as that. While the series is difficult to decipher and understand at times everything has been explained so far with a bit of mystery leading into S3, just as it should.

Deesky likes this.
  22. lschwart

lschwart Senior Member

I get that. But why all the difficulty? What's the purpose of it beyond just the pleasures of puzzle-solving? As I said, if that's all it is, then fine, but I think that's a limitation and a lost opportunity to create something more deeply and consistently resonant. I don't mind difficulty, per se--I've spent most of my professional career teaching literature that's difficult in any number of ways--but I like my difficulty to be purposeful.

L.

23. Anyone notice the name on one of the books that Dolores pulled from shelf in The Forge, and also one next to it? I don't want to post it w/o a spoiler tag, but I can't seem to find a way to enter one.

Suffice to say, the attention to detail and the penchant to hide small little easter eggs and what not in plain sight is off the charts with this show.

24. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

Yes, that was very useful. Thanks!

25. jpelg

jpelg Forum Resident

Because the "big reveals" wouldn't exist without the flipped timelines. Pretty cheeezy, imo...