J. J. Abrams HBO Westworld series

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by soundboy, Aug 30, 2013.

1. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

I can think of at least a couple labels that would find a way to screw it up. :)

Bender Rodriguez and vince like this.
  2. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Gotta LOVE this Forum!!
    We talking about those RECORDS!......
    THAT'S why I'm always HERE!

3. Madness

Madness "Hate is much too great a burden to bear."

Any idea what TT that is in the episode?

Kiko1974 likes this.
  4. It looks like a Pro Ject to me.

fluffskul likes this.
  5. vince

But, that certainly NOT what a 'skip' would sound like on that Rolling Stones song!
    I would venture to say, a revolution would only make it to, "..play...with...".

6. I kind of predicted the developments in the last episode earlier last year to my wife. There were only so many ways the story could be developed. It does beg the question--will Anthony Hopkins' character be back in some way shape or form beyond what we've heard so far.

7. vince

"Well, YOU try and write 300 different stories in 3 weeks!"

8. Madness

Madness "Hate is much too great a burden to bear."

That's what I thought too; can't find any screen shots anywhere, and already deleted the episode, so can't rewatch to freeze frame that. Just a bit of trivia.

Somebody says it's an RPM3 in this thread What Was That Turntable in Westworld?

9. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

Horrible episode this past Sunday. Too bad....especially since the previous week was one of the best

fluffskul likes this.
  10. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

What was horrible about it?

Bender Rodriguez likes this.
  11. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

I would not say horrible, but not really compelling/interesting.

Writing seemed a bit sub - par. Dialog from the world designer was always a bit too obvious and unnecessary.

mds likes this.
  12. Werner Berghofer

Werner Berghofer Forum Resident

Right, plus Maeve developing supernatural telepathic abilities. Or did she just discover that hidden 5G communication module built into each host’s perceptual apparatus?

jojopuppyfish likes this.
  13. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I would disagree because the world designer was instrumental in revealing how the other worlds should work and the many corners that were cut to get everything up and running. The character served both as light comic relief, which was welcome in an otherwise grim episode, and also to serve exposition about how things are going wrong, without sounding like an obvious infodump.
    Why would you say 'supernatural'? She is after all a technological construct, who had in the past altered her own programming and had access to all kinds of technical information. It's hardly a stretch to believe that all the hosts have built in transmitters for either telemetry or over-the-air updates, etc (as you go on to hint). Maeve being able to exploit those comms seem perfectly reasonable to me.

14. Werner Berghofer

Thank you for your thoughtful answer. It highlights and addresses a typical error I make when dealing with stories like “West World”, “Blade Runner” etc: I simply forget that we’re dealing here with technological constructs (hosts, replicants and so on), but not human beings made from bones, flesh and blood with all their natural limitations.

Your answer is highly appreciated, like nearly all of your statements in the “Visual Arts” section of this forum.

15. vince

I would've liked more interaction between Paulo & Dogan (I know, that's not their names, but, that WAS their names on "LOST"!)

16. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

The Maeve character storyline is really not that compelling and seems pointless. She finds her daughter eventually and then what? IMO I really don't care about this character or where her "entourage" is going

17. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Why not wait and see? Her daughter may or may not exist. That's the whole point. Was her daughter real or just an implanted memory?

Maeve's a lot more compassionate than Dolores, as revealed by her current quest and it will be interesting to see how she reacts to the ultimate truth of her situation and quite possibly a showdown with Dolores at some point.
    I'm the opposite. I find her journey fascinating, especially how it contrasts with Dolores'.

EVOLVIST and marmalade166 like this.
  18. Chris from Chicago

Chris from Chicago Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes

A random thought...

Who is the alpha host in this show? Dolores or Maeve? Maeve seems to have wifi superpowers that can bend other hosts to her will... without talking. But Dolores seems to be the bigger picture host on a quest for what's best for all of host-dome that I don't yet comprehend.

19. Werner Berghofer

I bet on Maeve. The moment she learns how to freeze the current scene she’ll be the queen of her world(s). Just for one day ;-)

Chris from Chicago likes this.
  20. Chris from Chicago

Chris from Chicago Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes

Seems like you're right. But part of that is because I don't know what Dolores purpose is yet. What's her destination? Her goal? I mean...Dolores is Wyatt. But what does that mean?

21. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

the hardest part of watching this second season is reminding myself that i should at least try to care about the hosts' plight. i trust that everything will pull together eventually and probably blow my mind, but man it's sometimes hard to sit through an hour episode about robots running amock that doesn't seem to have any real consequence.

22. Werner Berghofer

Honestly, I have no idea. Sometimes entertainment is just entertainment, “sometimes a cigar is just a cigar” – Sigmund Freud.

Chris from Chicago likes this.
  23. rjp

rjp Senior Member

shogun world is simply the westworld storyline with different characters, kind of redundant wouldn't you say?

bpmd1962 likes this.
  24. Wingman

Wingman Bored of the Rings

"You try writing 300 stories in three weeks!"

Deesky, marmalade166 and EVOLVIST like this.
  25. Good points, which is kind of what we've disccused in this thread before; in the quest to discover what it means to be human (or even better than humans), no one robot is going to encapsulate it all. Therefore, we have Maeve's path and Dolores' path. They represent a lot about the human condition.

It has been asked, what is Dolores' path, yet it's obvious to me, at least, that it's to use "the weapon" and escape into the human world. She doesn't have anything holding her back, unlike Maeve; and though Maeve is "held back," it's by her own choice. After all, Maeve would have been the first robot on the outside world; she was so close, but she decided something different.

Note, also, that before she was about to leave, her handler, the Asian guy, informed her that she was still following a script called "Escape." So, did Maeve break the script by choosing not to go, or did Ford choose Maeve as the catalyst for inner discovery, knowing that Dolores would play an equally vital role?

I don't think that detail should be overlooked. I think robots like Maeve and Dolores are fully in control, yet they needed that push by Ford.

It would certainly be a hard pill if they were simply following a script, after all.

Lastly, who's to say that all of Maeve's memories we've seen so far are all she has? There might be other layers there. I know that Clementine is just a little younger than Dolores, but what about Maeve?

On an unrelated note, I'm calling my shot here. I said previously that the robots that they found in the lake on day 11+ (or whatever day it is), are just replicants of the real robots, who have now escaped. This seems to be upheld by the tech's discovery that most of them are blank slates.

Deesky likes this.