J. J. Abrams HBO Westworld series

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by soundboy, Aug 30, 2013.

1. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

I'm worried this show is going the way of True Detective. Amazing first season, then a shark jump in season two. I'm also getting Lost vibes, and that makes me want to run far away. We'll see. I really did like the Delos robot/cloning subplot. They should focus on that. Everything with Delores and Maeve has gotten really silly.

GentleSenator likes this.
  2. rmath84

rmath84 Forum Resident

I thought it was great. I kid myself that I am unique but I'm exactly like many other people with the same story-line.

3. mds

mds Forum Resident

Are we watching the ID (Delores) vs. the EGO (Maeve)? I would day that this may be an experiment to see which one reaches the goal first and if one survives and moves on outside the confines of these worlds.

Concerning Maeve I believe once she finds or doesn't find her daughter her goal also is to move outside of the worlds but is hoping to do so with her daughter, once she finds her.

4. rjp

rjp Senior Member

i just hope they don't ruin a really good premise by trying to just get too fancy.

and right now they are just getting a little bit too fancy for me.

bpmd1962, jeroemba and fluffskul like this.
  5. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Gee, they actually had a discussion about this very thing in the episode.

I wonder if the story's conclusion might pit the two of them against each other, each out for a different outcome, but each fully aware of who and what they are and willing to die for it.

I love the show and think they're taking a lot of risks and doing interesting things this season.

BTW, it's interesting to look at the "Host Attribute Matrix" display that the Westworld robots have:

[​IMG]

Teddy's personality has now been altered to eliminate empathy, humility, and patience, while his "bulk apperception" (intelligence and adaptability) has been greatly increased, as well as his aggression, cruelty, and coordination. He's gonna be one badass mofo gunslinger -- reminiscent of the Yul Brynner character in the original Westworld movie.

Last edited: May 23, 2018
  6. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

It's not redundant if you didn't know that the other worlds were mostly cobbled together from the same narrative storyline as Westworld. How can it be redundant to learn new information?

We must be watching different shows. I'm loving it and appreciate the many intricate character and plot nuances that are sprinkled across the episodes.

7. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

i'm curious: what about the current storylines makes you care about them? i still like the show a lot, i'm just finding it a challenge to really care about any of the characters or the outcomes of what's going on.

jpelg likes this.
  8. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I enjoy the themes of what it means to become sentient and wether or not you can trust what your 'gut' is telling you or wether you're motivations are still, at least in part, predetermined by programming (free will vs determinism).

This is where Delores and Meeve's paths diverge, even though they had a common starting point. As newly minted individuals, they have different personalities and goals, and it's interesting to me to see how and why they have chosen different paths and how they will react when they eventually cross paths.

Overlaid on top of all that, is the notion of a robot uprising - will it be violent (Dolores) or a more peaceful integration (Maeve)? Of course, we don't know yet and given that humans are out there with their own agenda, anything could happen.

EVOLVIST and GentleSenator like this.
  9. fluffskul

fluffskul Would rather be at a concert

This question wasn't directed towards me, but I'm following this thread so figured I'd jump in anyway.

I'm most interested in William's story line/Ford's game. The (not unexpected) revelation that the new character is his daughter adds an element to things. His back story is intriguing. Though, I hope they save some for future seasons. I don't really want another timeline in his story at the moment. I'm interested in how things play out with him playing Ford's game. With a renewed sense of humility, now that death has become more permanent. Ed Harris should get an Emmy nod for season 2 IMO.

I'm second most interested in Bernard's storyline. (And I haven't ruled out the possibility that there has been Arnold sprinkled in). When he says "I killed them all," was he being literal? And what are his motivations. We know Delores/Maeve's pretty well at this point. But Bernard's intentions are still a bit of a mystery.

I'm not really interested in Delores/Maeve storylines at this moment. I would like to see the inevitable show down between the two of them, and hope the loser stays dead... at least for the conclusion of Ford's game.

Vidiot likes this.
  10. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

sounds like i'm on the same page as you, although i appreciate @Deesky opening my eyes a bit more, as usual.

11. Is a showdown between the two inevitable, though?

Some might find it anticlimactic if those two don't go at it, for when the first human picked up a rock and bludgeoned another human being to death with the rock, I'm sure that it was climactic.

Yet when the first human saw that it was beneficial to work with another human, for the greater good of everyone, I'm sure that it was sublime.

fluffskul likes this.
  12. fluffskul

fluffskul Would rather be at a concert

I don't think Delores is interested in the greater good... Frankly, I see Delores developing into the villain this season.

Deesky likes this.
  13. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Yeah, that's well telegraphed, as I think is Maeve's more collaborative nature. Because of this, I think some kind of confrontation is almost inevitable. The confrontation needn't be just a mindless fight - it could also be a clash of ideas and principals.

14. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

I'm also enjoying it, especially the Delos subplot. I just thought the Shogun detour was kind of predictable and cliche. I got that they were doing an homage to Kung-Fu and Samurai movies, what with the ultra gory head removal and neck spurt, and the Wu Tang Clan music. But that and Delores's story just seems to be flailing. I'm going to keep watching for sure.

15. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

This season seems to be complex just for complexity's sake. I enjoy a multi-layered, intellectual program, but I would like to know what the hell is going on! (It might be a concentration problem: I never watch westerns, but this show appealing since I like Anthony Hopkins (who isn't even in season 2) and I enjoyed the original as a youngster. It's just too hard to keep track of the time period shifts, so I may give up on it.)

16. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

For fans of Westworld how does this compare with J. J. Abrams Lost?

17. Chris from Chicago

Chris from Chicago Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes

I bailed on Lost in season 2.

Still watching WW.

Deesky likes this.
  18. rmath84

rmath84 Forum Resident

Apologies for picking at your comment again but I'd love to meet all the Maeve's.

I read a review that referenced Rinko Kikuchi's character as a crone. That's a different universe than the one I live in.

Last edited: May 24, 2018
    marmalade166 likes this.
  19. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I don't really see any commonality except a non-linear story-telling method

rmath84 likes this.
  20. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

Non Linear Story line. Multiple Characters. Serial TV show.
    Lost is one of the great tv shows of all time, IMO. Only the last season is a bit of a let down.

21. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

And a similar 'whoosh' sound effect to signal a back story. :)

rontoon likes this.
  22. lschwart

lschwart Senior Member

I'm looking forward to seeing where it all leads--and I like Maeve's story-line very much--but I did wonder what all the Shogun World stuff was really adding beyond the spectacle. Except for the encounter with a set of other park/world doubles, I'm not sure we really needed all of the action/business that took up most of the episode, as fun as it was to watch. But I'm willing to wait and see what sticks moving forward.

L.

fluffskul and GentleSenator like this.
  23. rmath84

rmath84 Forum Resident

Literally taking your comment out of context.

I enjoy watching the show as a puzzle but I also like it just for the great entertainment.

I hope that was one of the occasional correct uses of literally.

rontoon and lschwart like this.
  24. lschwart

lschwart Senior Member

Perfectly acceptable.

I think the show is working with some really rich and profound philosophical ideas, but I'm not always sure I'm in the hands of writers who are in full control of all of that. But, as you say, plenty of entertainment value, week to week. If nothing else, the show just looks so good, and the acting is top shelf!

L.

rmath84 likes this.
  25. Wow! No comments about Episode 6?

It's going further down the rabbit hole.

Not the best episode. I especially didn't like
    how the Indians showed up right when Maeve found her "daughter."
    That was a bit hamfisted.

Also, I could see William's double-cross coming a mile away.

Otherwise, I like how the showrunners are further blurring the lines.