J. J. Abrams HBO Westworld series

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by soundboy, Aug 30, 2013.

1. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

I thought all the back-ups in the Cradle were destroyed?

2. Wingman

Wingman Bored of the Rings

Doesn't matter. It's all just a dream anyway.

Werner Berghofer likes this.
  3. Not all, but some. The deletion process was stopped.

In a way, yes, right? In William's timeline it all happened ages ago and he was reliving events to the best of his recollection/hybrid-programing.

4. Chris from Chicago

Chris from Chicago Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes

I have a take that is similar to this... but not exactly the same. I see it... as the MIB is in the now... but the post credit host William is way in the future.

5. GreggF

GreggF Forum Resident

I am re-watching season 2 from the beginning and am impressed by how much more sense the story makes this time around. So many small details and asides emerge in hindsight.
    One glaring example I did not pick up on the first viewing was that Akecheta, in modern Western attire, is the male host who leads that demo for Logan (episode 2). Out of his warrior makeup and speaking in everyday English, I completely missed who he really is.

Deesky and rontoon like this.
  6. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

They show that old scene in the "Previously on.." bit, at the beginning.. kind of gave it away to me.

7. I thought about this, but if that were so, how come the "future William" is suffering the very same wounds he did in the "present?" This future William walked into his room fully jacked up. He had to get the wounds somewhere.

This is why I think that all of the scenes with William is a replay of the past, way in the future. This is also why William was able to take that much punishment, as the real William, in the distant past, was fully human and didn't take as many bullets.

His "recollection" in the future couldn't be fully perfect, because, after all, he is still a hybrid, with clitches.

Anyway, right or wrong, that's my theory for the moment.

Chris from Chicago likes this.
  8. Chris from Chicago

Yeah. There's a lot of holes in my theory. It's hard to say with any amount of certainty what I know for sure.

9. Does this mean you'll be watching Season 3 when it airs in 2020? ;)

10. Chris from Chicago

I probably will. I've never not liked this show. Im just not great at knowing what my eyes are seeing.

audiomixer and EVOLVIST like this.
  11. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

I can't imagine dedicating myself to 20+ hours of a show I never liked let alone continue watching a 3rd season. But that's just me

12. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

He said: " I've never not liked this show."
    Just for clarification...

13. Wingman

Wingman Bored of the Rings

There's Westworld's target audience.

14. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

agreed. i like watching, but i liked watching the walking dead at first too. hopefully WW won't go on as long.

Chris from Chicago likes this.
  15. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Oh, so sorry. Of course that makes sense. 58 year old eyes, small phone! :doh:

EVOLVIST and Chris from Chicago like this.
  16. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Anyone else see the irony in Jeffery Wright doing commercials for Ford?

17. Dr. J.

Dr. J. Music is in my soul

:shtiphat:

rontoon likes this.
  18. townsend

townsend Senior Member

I just finished watch the second season of Westworld (I owned the first season, enjoyed it somewhat, but just sold it on eBay for more than I paid for it). I don't have mixed feelings about season two; in fact, I have decided not to watch anymore of the series. I actually found some of the later episodes boring. Westworld was supposed to be the new HBO hit after Game of Thrones. I think it has turned into a turkey. They could have done a whole Westworld series on guests, with new guests arriving each season. Instead they focused on the hosts.

I adjusted my expectations in light of this new direction, and it seems like a worthy series at times. But the narrative in the second season is sheer chaos. They often would spend a whole episode on events that were trivial side shows (e.g., Ed Harris marriage, and his wife's suicide). What happened to that dude (guest) who fell in love with Delores? I thought that was an interesting development worth pursuing. I know, he reappears and no longer loves her. What happened to the guests? The narrative focuses on the hosts and the staff that runs the park. It would have been interesting to have the guests take the sides of the hosts against the staff.

Anyway, I think this is a wayward series. There are so many other series (e.g., The Handmaid's Tale) that hit the mark; I think HBO ought to kill it and not allow it to "replicate".

19. Chris from Chicago

I wasn't ready to give up on it completely. Even though I agree with just about every observation you made about season 2.

If I not only ask myself what's happening while I watch... but I question whether or not i'm enjoying myself while watching...I should start asking myself what else is on in this time slot

GodShifter, Thomas D and townsend like this.
  20. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

That could easily turn into Fantasy Island.

21. GreenDrazi

GreenDrazi Truth is beauty

The dude that fell in love with Dolores was the young man-in-black himself, William. And his feelings for her were pivotal in his characters’ development and also his relationship to Logan.

22. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

I can see it, Hopkins as montalban....who's gonna say 'da plane!' I guess it will be 'da train!"

23. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

kinda just goes to show how needlessly confusing the show is.

24. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

I'm not being argumentative, but that was probably the LEAST confusing thing about the show. I was surprised with this reveal at the end of Season 1, but evidently many viewers figured it out halfway through the season.

Jerry Horne and marmalade166 like this.
  25. Yep and with the seasons so spread out I'm starting to think that this series isn't worth the effort. I enjoy deep things but imho there is at least one too many levels/eras/whatever to keep track of. I may wait until the series is over, find an online guide to make sense of it all and blast through the rest of the series while I can (sorta) keep track of it all.