J. J. Abrams HBO Westworld series

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by soundboy, Aug 30, 2013.

1. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

you're right. i guess i was actually getting at the general idea that it's so labyrinthine that even the simplest elements got lost in the shuffle. i followed the first season without issue but the "confusing just for sake of being confusing" second season made me doubt that i had.

vegafleet and stereoptic like this.
  2. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Interesting. I can't wait to watch Season 2 again on blu-ray and then Season 3. Love this series and though it is often a bit confusing for a spell, I really enjoy the confusion and unraveling.

3. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

Love the series. Main right thing it's done is make you root for the AIs over the humans. The show is much more complex than that of course, but I think that basic structural element makes so many other aspects work well.

GregM and marmalade166 like this.
  4. RK2249

RK2249 Forum Resident

Just binge watched Season 2. I have mixed feelings about it. I like the show well enough, I guess, but I'm not blown away by it. It's complexity is at once interesting and off-putting. It's similar, in this vain, to Nolan's previous series Person Of Interest and Abrams' series Fringe. Overall it's a good show but the constantly overlapping and back-tracking timelines make it almost impossible to understand upon a single viewing. I'm sure it would all make sense if I watched the season again...I'm just not sure I care that much. Besides, the outcome would be the same...here come the hosts! Of course, who knows when William became a host so that should be interesting.

Vidiot and GentleSenator like this.
  5. That's unfortunately the risk of this type of show or Game of Thrones (although that series doesn't use the element of time, dislocation and trying to figure out when things occur) for that matter. While I enjoy the puzzle element, there are lots of folks that don't.

RK2249 and marmalade166 like this.
  6. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

i really like puzzle/mystery-driven shows like this, but season 2 of Westworld felt like it had so much just for sake of confusing rather than telling a coherent, engrossing story.

7. Lonson

I'm among those that do.

I heard that a large part of the set, or the set burned in the recent fire. Ouch! I hope that doesn't impact Season 3.

8. Lonson

9. I wonder if season 2 was finished to 4K or it was done at 2K so again the UHD BD release will be an upscale.

10. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Yeah, I felt like there was a little bit of "kitchen sink" stuff going on -- particularly in bringing back Anthony Hopkins.

HBO has been somewhat hostile to 4K, but I'm not sure if they did a true 4K workflow or if it's mostly HD. It was shot on 3-perf 35mm negative, and IMDB "says" UHD, so it's possible they did archive the show in 4K even if those are not yet available. That would make the most sense for future-proofing it.

I'm curious how the Paramount Ranch burning down will affect the show, since some of the major sets were over there. I think more of the show was shot out at Melody Ranch (more than 20 miles away), but it does kind of throw a monkey wrench into the logistics.

Kiko1974 and budwhite like this.
  11. Chris from Chicago

Chris from Chicago Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes

melstapler and GodShifter like this.
  12. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I was just going to comment on this. Now, I don’t have to.

Love you, Chris.

Chris from Chicago likes this.
  13. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Finally got the blu-ray and started watching season 2. Wish I had time to binge watch but the 1st episode far exceeded my expectations in every way. I thought this season would take a big step back from the first, but if episode 1 is any indication it is getting better.

14. Chris from Chicago

Chris from Chicago Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes

Be patient. It will.

In fact... let me know what happens. I watched it. But I still don't know.

kevywevy and GentleSenator like this.
  15. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Haha. It always takes me a few viewings to really digest what Jonathan Nolan is going for...Prestige being a prime example. But in that first episode of Season 2 I was blown away how he flipped around Dolores completely from Season 1 to the point where she's telling the humans the "in a dream" speech as she terrorizes them, while The Entertainer is playing. The entertainer is star of the show. Sheer brilliance. I wish I had time to binge. Still haven't even digested the first episode.

16. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

:laugh:

always a positive outlook from you... even in the face of uncertainty!

Chris from Chicago likes this.
  17. Lonson

It was a wonderful season. Hope the destruction of a major set hasn't hampered future seasons.

18. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Season 2 is bloody brilliant. Amazed they not only elevated the entertainment value but the Westworld mythology and story of its founding. All the characters are being developed so thoughtfully, and true to their essence. Jonathon Nolan is a genius. Oh, and the cameo with Giancarlo Esposito in a few short minutes was more compelling for his acting chops than all those seasons he's done for Breaking Bad and BCS put together.

GreggF likes this.
  19. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

And the conclusion of Westworld season 2?

20. alexpop

Go west ....
    Breaking? ( cameo) Bad I thought. Wasted opportunity.

21. alexpop

Why 2020 for the next two episodes ?

22. alexpop

Five seasons planned.
    First two episodes of season 3 commences on January 2020.

23. alexpop

Much preferred Season 2. Can only get better in season 3 with Aaron Paul on board.

24. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

you're joking, right?

25. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Totally disagree. They just had to remind us what he's capable of in the hands of good directors/writers for a few minutes. No need to give him his own arc just for the sake of it.