Jack Bauer returns "24"

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Deuce66, May 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thomas D

Thomas D Forum Resident

That's the way Jimmy Carter pronounced it and it annoyed everybody. Then, strangely, George W Bush pronounced it that same way. So it is strange that the show deliberately went that route. Also, it seemed to me that Devane's acting was off. So maybe it's a matter of him just mis-pronouncing it and the other actor going along so it doesn't stand out as a mistake by the president.

2. spanky1

spanky1 Forum Resident

I remember Jimmy Carter's version as well. While I'll agree that Jimmy's was "off", I don't think he butchered it in the same manner as George W. or the 24 guys last night. Jimmy's odd (mis)pronunciation was due to his southern inflection. It came across as if he were saying it without the "L". It sounded more like NEW-KEE-UH

3. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Another great episode. Final next week.

I agree on Cheng. Great move.....

4. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

24 has been great this season, really enjoying it.

5. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

I'll bet that Audrey kills Cheng in next week's episode. Anybody want to take that bet?

6. ky658

ky658 Senior Member

I think it's Audrey that's in the casket, I also don't think Jack will be heading home, they will need to leave things open for a possible series re-boot...

Rufus McDufus likes this.
  7. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

So a nuclear sub commander would not question an order like that?

(I know, there's not much realism in the program.)

8. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

President Heller is clearly having a bad day. I kept thinking his son-in-law would die on the job, so the scandal could be hushed up, but no luck for him.

9. marcb

marcb Senior Member

It's not the first story to use that premise.

10. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

if it does ever come back for another run they should continue with the 12 episode 24hr format.
    it really worked much better,making the pace faster and less annoying side plots.

beatmichael and Mr. E. Tramp like this.
  11. RubenH

RubenH Forum Resident

I picked up on that right away and it bothered me, but the show is so fast-paced that I couldn't linger on that for long.I could see perhaps Heller's Alzheimers manifesting itself during this stressful day, but when the younger (and presumably healthy) military officer said it too, it seemed odd. Then again, perhaps more people pronounce it that way than we think and it's just an alternative - and valid - way of saying it?

12. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

Did seem odd to me, too. It would be valid if it was spelled the way it was pronounced, but it's not.

Also, seems to me Jimmy Carter used to pronounce it "nukey-er"--ever odder.

Really looking forward to tomorrow's finale.

John K.

13. ky658

ky658 Senior Member

Agreed and (IMO) it should be set in Los Angeles to bring full closure to the series

14. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Can't say that I agree. I think the whole season has felt a little rushed -- especially the last few episodes -- and could have used a little more time so that some of the stretches of the imagination that required quick solutions due to the condensed season could have been handed a little deftly with more time.

And it seems like there is a lot to resolve in the final episode. I guess we'll find out tonight.

15. sami

sami Mono still rules

I'm thinking the alzheimers kicks in before Audrey is rescued, and she doesn't find out right away, until it comes out with Jack involved somehow.

Or something like that........

16. sami

sami Mono still rules

My exact thought when that happened! I mean, at least get some extra verification before starting WWIII, right?

John B Good likes this.
  17. sami

sami Mono still rules

Totally agree - they just seem to have jammed too much into very few episodes trying to 'fit it all in'. Nothing had a chance to sink in before the next catastrophe, there was no time to let the whole thing breathe a little.

I know that 24 episodes often brings in some goofy plot twists, but I still prefer that over the 12-hour season. I don't expect we'll ever see something as stupid as Kim's 'run through the jungle' again (with apologies to CCR).

18. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

yes.
    possibly a few more episodes would have been more acceptable.
    i've no idea of US TV networks schedules etc.
    16 could be about the right amount.
    to me 12x2hr episodes would be fine.
    very difficult in modern life to catch every episode in a 24 episode run without having to record several.

19. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

i suppose this run will get the obligatory season box set shortly.
    there could possibly be plenty of deleted scenes to include slowing it down slightly.

20. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Wasn't there a tv ad for a DVD set promising subplots that didn't make the regular series?

And as for "nuke-u-lar" - I HATE that. And Jack always said it that way (previous seasons). Was bad enough for him to do it, but for the 3x in 90 seconds in last week's episode? Inexcusable!!!

21. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

Boy, Kim Raver's had a bad year.
    Thought the ending was ok, a little too rushed to tie up loose ends, but all in all one of the better 24 seasons.

22. Sully

Sully Forum Resident

23. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

Finally said it correctly tonight!

No clock.

John K.

24. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

All in all a decent season..... Rushed is good for the show....

25. RTurner

RTurner Senior Member

:mudscrying:RIP Audrey.... excellent season... silent clock at the end.... :eek:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.