Jack Bruce RIP

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bicyclops, Oct 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Love his singing, and love his bass playing. One of the best. RIP!

2. 389 Tripower

389 Tripower Just a little south of Moline

Very sad news indeed.
    The music will live on forever!
    RIP Jack!

3. JPagan

JPagan Generation 13

Damn, I've been out all day and I come to this thread just now. What a shock.

Excuse me while I go play some Cream.

4. Yardbird

Yardbird Forum Resident

I was shocked to see this. Saw Cream in Philadelphia and was the greatest concert I ever saw.
    RIP.

5. oldsurferdude

oldsurferdude Forum Resident

Cream-My first concert-1967. I remember it very well, too. Sorry to see you go, Jack-RIP.

6. 1970

1970 Forum Resident

7. keifspoon

keifspoon Senior Member

8. rgutter

rgutter Forum Resident

Parked my car last night between tracks of his 50th birthday concert without stopping the CD. When I turn on the ignition tonight, his voice is going to ring through as if summoned... Not sure if that will make me smile or weep.

Glad I got see him a half-dozen times over the last decade, including an evening no more than six feet from his bass in Seattle's Jazz Alley where he and the rest of the Tony Williams tribute band put on one of the finest musical performances of my half-century of concert going.

RIP indeed.

9. zbase

zbase Forum Resident

Thanks Jack. You helped inspire me to pick up the bass 30 years ago, and it has been a lifelong passion . Thank you. RIP.

10. Ash76

Ash76 Wait actually yeah no

R.I.P Jack.
    So many legends have passed this year and he is right near the top

11. Dave Hoos

Dave Hoos Nothing is revealed

What terrible news.
    This is a massive loss. Arguably the greatest musician in rock history. A true virtuoso whether it be piano, keyboards, harmonica, cello, double bass and of course, bass guitar (I'm sure I've left something out, forgive me).

Not forgetting he was also a brilliant songwriter and an immensely talented, powerful, UNBELIEVABLY UNDERRATED vocalist.

When I was thirteen and unsure of what instrument I wanted to play, it was Jack Bruce (and John Entwistle) who inspired me to choose the bass. I still get goosebumps listening to him play.

An absolute titan of the music industry.

R.I.P Jack.

Swedgen, Norbert Becker, JBOO and 3 others like this.
  12. Izozeles

Izozeles Pushing my limits

Thank you for all the joy you left us Mr.Bruce. My humble respect to all his family and friends

13. Yayastone

Yayastone Forum Resident

RIP Jack, going to spin Fresh Cream in your honor.

14. footlooseman

footlooseman Forum Resident

15. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

I bow to a giant lost.

16. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

Saddened. The guy was an enormous part of the rock era. His work with Cream alone is historical.
    Makes me feel old when I see pictures of rock guys or hear about their deaths. Hard to imagine the celebrities of the time when I was a young man being old now. Even harder that they are dying of old age related illnesses.
    I am consoled in that at least Cream got together again and had one big final blast. And it is documented on film and tape.

17. vitorbastos123

vitorbastos123 Forum Resident

Im actually pretty sad... I still cant believe that he passed away... such a grest singer amd musicoan, I was not ready for this, really.

18. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

Real bummer. A great is gone. RIP

19. rck60s

rck60s Well-Known Member

Very sad news.....

20. bhasenstab

bhasenstab Forum Resident

A true rock'n'roll giant, is all I can say. Cream is only one notch on his belt. I mean, in the New York Times obit, g-damn Roger Waters called Jack, "probably the most musically gifted bass player who’s ever been.” Certainly that must count for something, right?

I say, "Of COURSE!!!"

southamorican and footlooseman like this.
  21. RJ3000

RJ3000 Forum Resident

This is a reposting of what I wrote on my personal Facebook page to friends and families this evening.

-----

A few more words of appreciation for Jack Bruce who recently passed away. I got into Cream in my preteen years, well after my Beatles obsession had begun. Years later as part of a tribute band Cremora (or more accurately, "The Cremora"), I studied and scrutinized their canon like that of no other band, with the exception of the Beatles. As I started playing bass, Bruce bass lines were great lessons in dynamic blues based musicality.

I finally saw Jack Bruce, with Ginger Baker no less, in Cleveland in late 1989 -- a loud eruption of bottom end. Finally in late 2004 the murmurs of a Cream reunion began bubbling up and somehow by the grace of online ticketing, I secured two tickets to their final night at the Royal Albert Hall in May of 2005.

My wife and I hopped the Pond for a true London weekend. I remember someone expressing incredulity, "I can't believe you'd fly all the way to London to go see Cream play!" to which I responded, "I would fly to London to see Cream play just 'Sunshine of Your Love' if that was all."

There is much beyond Cream I know and I look forward to continue to discover and enjoy the musical adventure that Jack Bruce lived.

Dave Hoos likes this.
  22. RubenH

RubenH Forum Resident

Condolences to the family and friends.

Talks about starting out on the cello. Wonderful line about "Bach was a pretty great bass player..." around 25:30

susyredstripe and footlooseman like this.
  23. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Wow. I'm shocked.

RIP . One of the greatest rock bass players.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  24. John54

John54 Senior Member

Rest in peace. This sad news will put us all in a Blue Condition:

25. RobGordon35

RobGordon35 Forum Resident

Sad times. RIP To one of Scotlands greatest and best.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.