Jack Reacher (2012 Tom Cruise Film)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by neo123, Dec 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

I disagree. I have read all but the most recent Reacher (waiting for the paperback). I would describe him as cool but not suave. I would not describe him as a psychopath (within the context of the genre). I do think of him as being relatively smart - beyond street smart. He often figures out what the villains are really doing before I do, despite the fact that on the whole Lee Child "plays fair" with the reader in the way Agatha Christie did, and I'm a reasonably good armchair detective. (As a whodunnit fan, this is one of the most appealling aspects of the series.)

I saw the move on PPV this weekend. I read the book a number of years ago, and recalled the principal plot points. They had to be compressed for the film, but I appreciated the fact that we got to see Reacher's mind at work.

2. CusBlues

CusBlues Fort Wayne’s Favorite Retired Son

He isn't suave at all in this movie. We find out he only has one shirt and washes it in the hotel sink every night. He doesn't own a car and has to "steal" or borrow his transportation. He lives in a rundown hotel. I've never read the books, but I didn't get the idea he was suave.

3. john greenwood

That's consistent with the books overall. In the books I always imagined him staying in inexpensive, but not necessarily rundown, motels, but maybe I was reading through rose colored glasses.

I would describe him as virtually the antithesis of suave - but that's what makes him cool.

4. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Exactly

5. CusBlues

CusBlues Fort Wayne’s Favorite Retired Son

Inexpensive is a better way to describe his movie hotel. It is not a fleabag or a dump.

6. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Agreed. I get the feeling some people think Cruise turned Reacher into James Bond or his charismatic Type A character from flicks like "Top Gun", but that's not the case. Yeah, he gets a few funny lines, but he's not a quip machine, and he remains blunt and to the point...

7. There is another great film that reminded me a bit of this with a top action star who played a bit different part. That film is Payback with Mel Gibson. I watch it once a year and it is also like a 70s actual film with no CGI and a smart script and good actors and direction.

8. Metralla

Payback is a great movie. Some terrific characters - Coburn, Kristofferson, can't recall the actress who played the hooker with a heart of gold; some scary stuff (the hammer, the toes); good ending.

9. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

He was awesome in it. They really made him look old and messed up.

10. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

yes, fantastic job!

11. Michael

the DC is terrible...they removed much of the good stuff! I'd have to say one of the worst.

12. Michael

yes, all I want is my fifty grand! a man of principals indeed...did you see the DC cut?

Mazzy likes this.
  13. Michael

maybe they meany savvy.:laugh:

14. Yup! Love that film. Btw is your avatar one of the Slits?

15. Michael

no...

16. Ok. Sorry. I thought it was one of the girls from this post punk band.. Haha

image.jpg

17. john greenwood

Maria Bello.

Good film - based on a Donald Westlake novel.

18. Michael

yes! I see why you would have thought that!:)

Mazzy likes this.
  19. Michael

nobody seems to comment on the DC, although I've asked...anyway...it sucks, IMO. I prefer the theatrical.

20. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

"Look" old and messed up? :laugh:

21. Metralla

Thank you.

22. john greenwood

For fans of "Payback" (apologies - I know it's slightly off-topic) TCM is showing "Point Blank" tonight. It's based on the same novel.

23. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

Watched it Saturday Night, much better than I anticipated. Tense film, nicely paced, good performances.

24. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Sequel just got greenlighted. Doing latest Reacher novel Never Go Back.

Using same director.

NapoleonXIV likes this.
  25. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Just saw this on Netflix (I love seeing movies for nothing). Very surprised. I thought I was going to hate it (I sort of dislike a lot of modern thrillers), but Christopher McQuarrie's direction was brilliant. I was immediately sucked in by the beautiful direction. The opening sequence was elegant. Gorgeously shot, edited and TASTEFUL. Thrilling and mysterious, ala Alan J. Pakula. Wonderfully visual. Someone in this thread (which I just read) called it a good 70s movie. Absolutely correct. The direction and specter of corruption borrowed heavily from films like Bullit, Pakula and Sam Peckinpah. So nice to see a director who can pay homage to great filmmaking for a change, instead of VIDEO GAMES. My favorite scene was Cruise pulling up to the apartment of the slutty girl who has just been murdered and coming face to face with the black cop. The pacing and shots were pure Peckinpah, a little Hitchcock. Everything slows down. There is tension in the air. The two men exchange stares. Who will make the first move? Finally, Cruise slowly reaches down to the gear shift.... and VVVVVVrrrrrrroooooooom! It has some great action, but I was more impressed by this little moment than anything else in the film. You see, a little style goes a long way. Even without anything happening, the scene puts the viewer in breathless suspense. Brilliant! Now that's direction. Five stars to Christopher McQuarrie for doing your homework on the classics!

As far as Cruise being right for the role. I'd didn't even know there were Jack Reacher books. Never heard of him. But when I heard his description in this thread -- 6'5" 250, a hulking brut.... eh, I wouldn't care about seeing a movie like that. Sounds like they have romance novel illustrations of Fabio holding a blazing uzi on the book jackets. Bleech. Having some steroid case in the lead would put it into the cheesy action hero category for me. Sly Stallone is dead, long live Sly Stallone. Okay, maybe a blonde Hugh Jackman... but I still wouldn't have been interested or then believed his sleuthing skills. But an average sized, very bright millitary cop who is superbly trained. That makes it interesting. In fact, the 70s feel and the casting of Cruise left little doubt in my mind that McQuarrie saw himself making a STEVE McQUEEN movie. The car chase nailed that suspicion. Now tell me (the diminutive) McQueen wasn't a badder ass-kicker than Dope Lundgren any day!

However, I will say that I wish Cruise should have made this movie ten years ago. This is the FIRST film I think where he's showing his age. So much for the vampire theory....

Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
    NapoleonXIV and kevintomb like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.