Jack Reacher Begins?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by sotosound, Oct 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

Wasn't there chatter recently about a TV series for Reacher?

--Geoff

2. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

I like Tom Cruise's portrayal also.

Tokyo Ghost likes this.
  3. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Love the novels.

4. R. Cat Conrad

R. Cat Conrad Almost Famous

Nothing put on film can replace an author's vision for his/her characters. They're different mediums and should be appreciated on their own merits.

:cheers:
    Cat

Echoes Myron likes this.
  5. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

But I would argue that a film maker can be their own author which cannot be duplicated in a book as well. See the tons of examples where the movie is better than the book.

6. R. Cat Conrad

Of course this can be the case as well, but logically, the more successful the book the more likely it will be optioned and eventually filmed. It's those folks who've bought the book and appreciate it as written that you'll have to persuade. :winkgrin:

Cat

7. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

Eh. The Godfather sucks as a book in comparison. Lots of examples like that. I can love a book, but still recognize an improvement. I loved Stephen King and tended to experience his books first, but facts are facts...there are shining examples that prove otherwise.

I see your point though. Fans are a stubborn bunch.

Echoes Myron likes this.
  8. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

That's for damn sure :p

Although a lot of the endings in later books seem a bit perfunctory, IMHO ("Reacher shot them. The end.")

--Geoff

sotosound likes this.
  9. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

I have no issue with developing a book for a film and changing some things. I have no issue with Tom playing him. But all that is meaningless if the films are not any good. The first was just OK and the second one of the worst films I have ever seen.

GodShifter likes this.
  10. sotosound

sotosound Forum Resident Thread Starter

If an actor who was far closer to Jack Reacher's size and stature had been chosen then many of the book fans - who are the people who made Jack Reacher so popular and therefore ripe for a movie spin-off in the first place - wouldn't struggle with that choice.

Why risk alienating a large part of the potential audience right from the start?

11. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

Even at a fair estimate Jack Reacher in its entirety likely has less than 150 million sold.

Tom Cruise matches that with box office appeal paired with rental and physical.

Better to establish market first then "do it right" later.

Never forget that it is a business and hats off to Cruise for having the foresight to do the roll...however one feels about his portayal. I quite like the films with him and hope there is more.

GodShifter likes this.
  12. I liked both Cruise movies, even acknowledging he is physically a poor match for Reacher. I hope he can make more.

Tokyo Ghost likes this.
  13. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Because as stated above, Tom Cruise’s box office potential trumps trying to find a lesser draw who matches Reacher’s attributes.

14. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Absolutely agree with this. I was shocked at how awful the second one was. It was straight to video bad. No cast, terrible plot, ridiculous premise. Why did they bother making a second movie if little to no effort was going to be put into it? I’m no fan, but the second was glaringly substandard.

Jim B. likes this.
  15. halfjapanese

halfjapanese Gifs moider!

Two cautionary words:
    Bosworth, Brian
    [​IMG]

16. R. Cat Conrad

We have differing impressions of both films. I thought the first film was excellent and have watched it several times. The second was OK, but uneven, not as well realized as the first.
    Everyone's mileage varies I guess. :shrug:

Cat

17. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

Huge Jackman
    Jason Straight Ham
    Jack Reacher Round

What type of a film is this?

18. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Yes, it's all subjective. But a look at a more objective view of the second film from reviews pretty much says it's not a good film at all. Rotten Tomatoes has the critic score of 38% and the audience at 42%, which is pretty bad.

But hey, if anyone enjoys any film that's all good. It's just that there will be a whole load of people not interested in a third film because the second was so bad, which is obviously a shame for the 'property'.

19. sotosound

Now.... a TV series would allow the character-building that a movie doesn't.

Not sure, however, if there's ever been a TV series before about a stranger who wanders the land, arrives somewhere, does a good deed and then leaves. :)

Pete Puma likes this.
  20. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

"The Hulk" with Bill Bixby? He sort of did 'good deeds'. 'Highway to Heaven'? (wasn't that the premise?)

Wait, were you being sarcastic? :confused:

21. sotosound

Lol

Kung Fu

The Fugitive

Run For Your Life

Any more?

22. timoteus

timoteus Senior Member

Then Came Bronson
    Route 66