Jack White recording new album in NYC & LA; "Boarding House Reach" (03/23/2018)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by fourfeathers, Jul 31, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Background vocals kill this song dead for me, I'm not impressed with what I've heard so far. I understand artists wanting to stretch and sometimes experiment, it doesn't always make it release worthy.

2. Socrates

Socrates Forum Resident

Actually, for me, the background vocals are making this one a fun song. I'm interested in this project. Kind of reminds me of last night's X-Files, "over and over" in our digitized world... This one is very funky, too, sounds great, P-Funk All-Starsesque.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2018
  3. Socrates

Socrates Forum Resident

I'm more interested in this project than any solo Jack since the Stripes. Even funkier. Nice. Oh, live drums!

4. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

What a strange song ............ I certainoy hear the Rage thing & maybe some Zappa-ish stuff ? not sure , i'm hearing something i can't quite put my finger on ....... maybe prince ? weird for sure .

5. Socrates

Socrates Forum Resident

I like it.

6. Tlaloc

Tlaloc Token young person

Socrates likes this.
  7. Purplefowler

Purplefowler Forum Resident

Anyone else going to one of the early access listening parties tonight? My local shop is hosting one so I’m taking my lad down so we can have a listen (well my boy just wants to get a free badge, lol!). I’m looking forward to hearing it as a whole piece as I think it might all make sense with the intended flow. Should be interesting.

8. VatiBobo

VatiBobo A Scotsman in Canada

I'll probably head along to the local store that's playing it today. Don't know how much of it I'll be able to stay for, though, as I'll have a 3 year old with me...

9. Purplefowler

My lad is 13 so old enough to drag along with me :D

Just got back so still digesting it all. Not the quietest pressing which is a bit of a concern, lots of crackles on side a. But musically it is a very intriguing album. I think it will split people in to the “god this is the worst thing he’s ever done” group and the “this is some of the best music he’s ever made” group and I don’t think there will be many people in the middle. Lots of different sounds and styles fussed together and for me it really worked. I paid for my preorder but most people didn’t. I just can’t wait to sit down and listen to it on my system to get all the detail out of it.

VatiBobo likes this.
  10. VatiBobo

VatiBobo A Scotsman in Canada

Thanks for the update. I posted on here before that I thought it would be a love it or hate it album. Sounds like it will be based on your experience. I never made it along to the store in the end. My little one was quite content drawing and playing this morning, so I didn't have the heart to drag her out on the half an hour drive to get to the store.

Purplefowler likes this.
  11. Purplefowler

Sometimes with little ones you’ve got to work out if it’s really worth upsetting the balance when they are happy and occupied! Tbh my lad was a bit bored until the shop owner cracked open some 7up and a bag of crisps although he did give the record a thumbs up too :)

12. Tlaloc

Made it to an advance listening session last night. It’ll take a couple more spins to figure out exactly where to rank it, but personally, I loved it, and I have the feeling it could easily end up being one of my favorite things he’s ever done. It’s a weird album, don’t get me wrong, and I’m not sure what anyone who only listens to rock is going to think, but it’s unique, it’s cohesive, and I don’t think I’ve ever heard anything else like it. Any singles you might not have been sure of sound much better in context; it’s a real unitary album, which is great to see. You can definitely feel all the life and passion that went into making this record work. Also, pretty sure I heard some Daft Punk influence on there, so that’s a bonus point.

Tracks that stood out to me were Get in the Mind Shaft, Ice Station Zebra, and Everything You’ve Ever Learned (anyone else hear a little bit of the Doors on that one?). Connected by Love is probably the weakest song on the album, and since it’s the first track it doesn’t fully benefit from being better in context, but I’ll admit it’s started to grow on me these last few months.

13. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

Lotsa stuff goin' on in this article...
    From rolling stone dot com: Can Jack White Change His Stripes?
    He became a rock legend by embracing the past. Now, the last guitar hero is trying to figure out how to live in the future.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  14. Tlaloc

From the Rolling Stone article:

"Last year, White purchased a musical manuscript written by Al Capone in Alcatraz (in the 1920s, even gangsters could read and write music) for a song called "Humoresque": "You thrill and fill this heart of mine/With gladness like a soothing symphony." Capone, it seems, played tenor banjo in a prison band with Machine Gun Kelly on drums. The song, a take on a Dvorák work, turns out to have been recollected, not composed, by Capone, but White still ended up recording it as the closing track on his new album."

15. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

16. fsutall

fsutall Senior Member

My wife and I were able to get tickets to see Jack live in the Blue Room at Third Man here in Nashville tonight! Guessing he'll perform the new album with a few old tracks thrown in. I believe this will be his first full concert in more than three years, so it should be interesting. I'll provide a report here tomorrow...

Champagne Boot likes this.
  17. joe1320

joe1320 Forum Resident

Well done on getting tickets, just got email saying he playing London in two weeks, hopefully I can get a ticket

fsutall likes this.
  18. Tlaloc

19. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

20. Champagne Boot

Champagne Boot Ain't nothin' gonna break my stride

21. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

this was interesting, almost sounds like he's moving away from the purist analog/vinyl perspective

Today, with his mission accomplished, White loves CDs. “You can play them extremely loud, they’re portable and you can read the songwriting credits,” he notes. Downloads and streaming are also perfectly fine. And having once considered ProTools to be the devil’s work, he recorded the whole of his new album on tape and then “dumped” it into ProTools to edit. With all its sampling of live instruments, the album “behooved” (his word) complicated edits – and that required something niftier than his customary tape and razor blade.

“This was the hip-hop production style that I had stayed away from for years because I thought it was cheating,” says White. Always a bit of a rapper, he once produced the Insane Clown Posse. He has written some tracks with Jay-Z over the past few years, but they never came to fruition (he is vague about why). Instead, he got his hands on top hip-hop musicians: Q-Tip’s drummer, Kanye’s bassist, and many more, calling hip-hop production “the punk rock of right now”.

22. Joe Spivey

Joe Spivey Forum Resident

Yeah, TMR in Nashville started in '09 and now streamlining operations and staff seams like a perfectly normal business practice, along with having debt and so forth. Stinks for the folks that lost their jobs. Every records is put out in hopes of making money. I imagine Jack is someone who likes to indulge every whim and at times that worries me regarding the business side.

I would think if he's looking for quick cash, touring would be the priority... not album sales. And he certainly doesn't need a new album to tour. His shows sell out.

23. Champagne Boot

Champagne Boot Ain't nothin' gonna break my stride

If you think every record is released to make money, you need to take a closer look at Third Man Records. I’d be surprised if 50-75% of what they put out breaks even. And they seem fine with that.

24. Joe Spivey

Joe Spivey Forum Resident

Well of course they are... they aren't giving this stuff away for free. Maybe you know something about TMR, I don't. As long as the other 25%- 50% turns a profit.

Regardless, we're deviating from the main point. Like I said previously, if he's looking for quick cash albums ain't the way. Jack is coming off a long break from touring which he wanted and stated prior to doing so. He also indicated he wanted time to work on new stuff. Doesn't seem like a hastily put together attempt but something he's been working and planning towards for quite a while. You're notion of this as a "slap-dash" record seems like a stretch.

pablorkcz and JoeRockhead like this.
  25. Lamurias

Lamurias Active Member

I always assumed TMR was mostly financed by jack's seven nation army royalties checks

fourfeathers and Joe Spivey like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.