Jackson 5 / Michael Jackson / The Jacksons Album-by-Album Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by kanno1ae, Jan 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kanno1ae

kanno1ae Forum Resident Thread Starter

Huh. Must've been a regional hit. I had never heard the song until recent years.

2. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Well, they played it so much around here that I thought it was a brand new MJ single on Epic Records. I didn't realize until years later that it was just Motown trying to capitalize on his success from the "Off The Wall" album.

As a side note, there is a song on the 1984 film "Blame It On Rio" starring Michael Caine, Michelle Johnson, Valerie Harper, Joseph Bologna, and Demi Moore that featured a recurring song with a Michael Jackson soundalike. I also thought it was Michael Jackson! The film is dubious for a certain reason, so enough about that!

kanno1ae likes this.
  3. mjcoolj

mjcoolj New Member

I have been searching for a post/forum for a picture and review of the Album Cover I had as a child. It is the same record of “Going Back to Indiana” but with a different cover. Mine was all black with a picture of the J5 brothers standing in a line smallest to tallest with Michael in the front of course. With the name “Stand” on top. Now about the Music. This was my first record as a child, I was probably 10 years old. This album had it all. Pop, Rock, Live and Comedy Plays? What a Funky Mix. Now I found the videos of the comedy skits and live show and able to put it all together in my head as to what was going on. From this album I fell in love with the excitement of Live music, funk and acid rock(Walk On). That song put me on the path to enjoy heavy metal. Come to find out a Motown Producer wrote that song Named Suzanna, but why was it in there live set list? I love the contrast. And who was there drummer- what a shredder!! Talk to me!

kanno1ae likes this.
  4. Grant

Was your album a domestic pressing or a pirate copy? I've never seen anything other than the one pictured. Ever.

5. James H.

James H. Forum Resident

I had that album, 'Stand' when I was 4 years old. I didn't care for that album. I think it was an import that was on the Brunswick label.
    After I destroyed my original Motown 'Maybe Tomorrow' album, my mother got me another copy of 'Maybe Tomorrow' on the Brunswick label. The cover sucked as well as the album. As a 4 year old, the title track 'Maybe Tomorrow' was pressed tighter than the original Motown. The Brunswick didn't have enough bass.

6. paulewalnutz

paulewalnutz Forum Resident

I was able to find a German pressing of this years ago,Mama's Pearl is 1 of my fav's on this album.

kanno1ae and Isamet like this.
  7. paulewalnutz

Walk Right Now 12 inch single is awesome. Overlooked dance track of his imo.

VH3FAN and kanno1ae like this.
  8. paulewalnutz

This is around the time Jermaine made his infamous appearance on The Facts Of Life with Tootie.

9. Grant

It sounds like both you and @mjcoolj had pirate copies of those albums, which also explains the wonky covers. Motown authorized EMI for worldwide distribution, and Brunswick was an independant Chicago label. They did not use Brunswick for overseas product.

10. Grant

Theirs, not his. This was The Jacksons, not a solo Michael track or album.

BTW, it took me years to warm up to the coolness of that song.

11. pickwick33

pickwick33 Forum Resident

The Stand! album was on Pickwick, not Brunswick.

As for "Walk On," that vamp was borrowed from the intro to Isaac Hayes' version of "Walk On By." All Suzanne De Passe did was add her name to it, along with the collective Jackson Five.

12. James H.

James H. Forum Resident

Pickwick-------Brunswick---------I was close.
    All kidding aside, you are right. I had to trash that album a long time ago when I was a kid. It was beat to hell. Now that I remember, the label on the vinyl was black with silver lettering.

13. Grant

Pickwick was known for having some of the shoddiest pressings in the business. It was a legitimate company, but pirates also used their label to press illegal copies.

At this point, I cannot imagine how or why Motown would release a complete alternate product on Pickwick.

14. YardByrd

YardByrd rock n roll citizen in a hip hop world

Has anybody purchased a "Back to Black" UMC LP reish of the Christmas Album from a few years back? Worth picking up?

15. The_King_Of_Pop

The_King_Of_Pop New Member

We need to revive this thread!! Just found this thread this week, and want to talk more Jacksons!!

VH3FAN and kanno1ae like this.
  16. Grant

Aaron abandoned it. I guess he just lost interest after "Triumph". But, I also have no interest in reviving it as one "member" will accuse me of being a narcissist again.:rolleyes:

17. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Motown had a deal in place with Pickwick and released many compilations and truncated reissues on the budget label.
    Other labels that used Pickwick included Capitol, A&M, ABC and a host of smaller labels. Oh yes they also took over the RCA Camden catalog.

Grant likes this.
  18. groovelocked

groovelocked Forum Resident

Having recently done vinyl reissues of The Jacksons (‘76) and Going Places, I hope Sony picks up again with Destiny, Triumph, Live, and even Victory.

The older Motown albums are slowly getting repressed again on colored vinyl, so far we’ve gotten Moving Violation, Dancing Machine, Get It Together, Skywriter, and Live in Japan is next out. And UMG put out the J5 greatest Hits quad fold-downs.

There’s some incredible fan mixes from the multi-tracks on YouTube of some cuts from Triumph (Heartbreak Hotel, Lovely One, Wondering Who, Everybody Dance, Your Ways), as well as Off The Wall & Thriller. I love the mixes from Triumph especially because they seem to have a bit more bass that was dialed down on the album in what I’ve always assumed was an attempt to sound more pop and less disco oriented.

This guy Nick* and another called Groovefunkel (check out his Heartbreak Hotel)

Hep Alien likes this.
  19. Grant

In my opinion, the most recent downloadable/HD remasters sound the best.

20. kreen

kreen Forum Resident

Can you believe that
    (aside from Let's Get Serious)
    none of Jermaine Jackson's solo Motown albums, post-break-up, are on CD or on iTunes? I don't even think they're on Spotify. They basically have to be listened to on YouTube. That's a shame as they're all great!

waldo and VH3FAN like this.
  21. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 11, 2019
    Hep Alien likes this.
  22. Grant

They were three years ago. I'm thinking his Motown albums are are being subject to some legal issues, or the tapes can't be located. I know the first 1972 album was a needledrop. But, that's OK because mine is too. The difference is that I did a much better job of it. As a matter of fact, I did good needledrops of at least four of his Motown albums.

23. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

I'd like to hear those. :thumbsup:

24. James H.

James H. Forum Resident

My parents got that for me Christmas '74. I was only 4 at the time. Great memories. For some reason I always look for that album when I go to a record store.

25. A truly unfortunate oversight. I find it criminal that Universal overlooks later period Motown. I wish Hip-O Select did a complete albums package or reissue campaign for Jermaine's Motown output before it plummeted. Speaking of Jermaine's Motown ('72-'82) catalog, I'm currently spinning this long OOP/now-deleted compilation from 1991 and it's a solid survey of his tenure on the label. Great sonics, too. (Mastered by John Matousek.)

[​IMG]

VH3FAN and Hep Alien like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.