Jaco Pastorius s/t

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by esa, Jul 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. esa

esa Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm seeking out a non-remastered version of the Jaco Pastorius CD.

Are there any forum-preferred pressings that I should look for, or all the unremastered pressings the same?

Thanks!

~esa

2. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I still have a non-remastered CD of this purchased in 1988. I'd bet they're all the same.

3. esa

esa Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'd think so, too.
    The only reason it came up is my friend ripped his copy with EAC, and AccurateRip reported that it was not the same pressing as what was in their database.

That got me wondering.

4. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

5. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

I just got the remastered CD of the self-titled album, and I love it. It's my only version of the album, and I've only listened to it in the car to this point, but it sounds good to me. I'm sorry I didn't discover this album sooner and get the JSACD. It's out of stock at Amazon. Is it out of print?

You can definitely hear the Weather Report sound with Pastorius and Shorter here. There is also a bit of the fusion-era Miles Davis sound in Hancock's keyboard work (think In a Silent Way). The ensemble is tight. Great album.

6. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Do you mean "Jaco"?

I have the Epic/Sony 25-8P-5100 JPN. I did not know it came out on JSACD.

7. KeithH

Geoff, I am referring to the album titled Jaco Pastorius with the black and white portrait of him for the cover. It was released as a single-layer SACD in Japan.

I found a new copy of the SACD on eBay this morning for $50.

8. Metralla

9. Norbert Becker

Norbert Becker Senior Member

I only have the original Columbia CD. Did you notice it was produced by Bobby Colomby, the great drummer for Blood, Sweat and Tears?

How does the remaster differ sonically from the original?

10. KeithH

Geoff, my U.S. remastered CD shows the title as Jaco Pastorius. The album cover is posted below. I'm sure we are talking about the same album. It's a great one.

I'm surprised you weren't aware of the JSACD. ;) A copy is on its way to me. That should be a fun listen.

There also is a Blu-Spec CD, but I see no point in getting it.

Attached Files:

11. KeithH

I haven't heard the original Columbia CD, but I may pick up a copy on the cheap to compare it to the remaster. Of course, the remaster has bonus tracks. It sounds good to me.

12. JPagan

JPagan Generation 13

The Legacy remaster by Vic Anesini does sound good, and it has the 6/4 Jam, which isn't on the original.

13. KeithH

I bought the remaster last weekend and first gave it a listen in the car. It sounded fine there, but I gave it the real test on Saturday in the better home system. I'm still happy with it. It's another good-sounding Anesini disc. As I said earlier, I have no other version for comparison, but the remaster is good on its own.

Does anyone know if the Japanese 25 8P CD has a different mastering than the original U.S. CD?

14. Metralla

Yes we are. And I have corrected my listing to have the correct title.

I only have the 25-8P-5100, and don't have the remaster. I'm not a huge fan of the album, so would not get the JSACD.

15. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

I have the remaster and the Blu-spec....both sound good:cheers:

16. KeithH

Do you know if the Blu-Spec disc uses the Anesini remaster? Does the Blu-Spec disc have the bonus tracks?

I bought the old Columbia disc on Amazon for $2 last night to see how it fares against the Anesini disc.

17. KeithH

Fair enough, Geoff. Thanks. I'm enjoying the album. Pastorius was an amazing talent, both as a bass player and composer. It's such a shame how things turned out for him.

18. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

Don't know if it's the same remaster, but it doesn't have the bonus tracks:cheers:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.