Jaco: The Movie (2015 Jaco Pastorious documentary)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Solaris, Nov 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grunge Master

Grunge Master 8 Bit Enthusiast

I just watched this on Netflix. I've never been a fusion guy myself, but holy sh**t, man. This guy blew my mind. I went straight to YouTube and listened to the studio version of "Dark Prince" by the Trio Of Doom. Yowza!

2. Orthogonian Blues

Orthogonian Blues A man with a fork in a world full of soup.

Towards the end of his life, Jaco smashed up the Bass of Doom completely, I guess when he was in one of his manic moods. He then sent the pieces to a luthier who by some miracle (and with a lot of skill, patience and some replacement wood*) put it back into perfect working order.

Jaco was never exactly gentle with the Bass of Doom. Concert footage shows him at various times tossing it in the air and jumping on it from a great height. During one tour of Japan, he even threw it into the sea. Given all that it's been through, it's incredible that it's been restored to it's former glory. And although Robert Trujillo is doing a great thing by being it's custodian, I hope for the sake of its preservation the Bass of Doom doesn't get taken on the road with Metallica to often. Besides, I don't think fretless bass belongs on most Metallica songs!!

*For example, I think there are new veneers on the front and back of the body.

keyXVII and Linda Belcher like this.
  3. thesisinbold

thesisinbold Forum Resident

got it. thanks for clarifying.

4. Six String

Six String Senior Member

I just watched his last week and really enjoyed it. I was "there" when Stanley Clarke got bounced from the no.1 bass player position. When Jaco was at the top of hs game it was always, who's the greatest, Stanley or Jaco? Most people gave the nod to Jaco. He certainly took the bass to a higher level. Some of his extreme attitude I found a bit much but there's no denying his talent. He was a real game changer.

5. CBC

CBC Forum Resident

Finally saw this last night (my wife even sat & watched with me for most of it) I felt it was really well done, gave a pretty good account of his life & talent.
    The home videos really brought home who he was from a human standpoint. Such a brilliant brilliant talent...gone to soon.

6. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

I often ask this question. :agree:

7. dadonred

dadonred Life’s done you wrong so I wrote you all this song

I finally watched this last evening. I don't play bass and really only knew of Jaco'S work w Weather Report. A few things left mental marks:
    1. I didn't realize he was so young
    2. A lot of influences by him and Joni in Michael Hedges work (and yes, I saw MH and Michael Manning perform together). Wonder whether they ever got together?
    3. The doc didn't do a good job connecting the.intro interview when someone said he lost support and gigs to when it picked back up later in the film.
    4. Wonder how much of a black ball there is in the industry when he pissed his label off?
    5. Which LP is the opening song from?
    6. Was his bipolar drug induced or unknown? A question whether he had any support during that time or whether he drove everyone away anyway.
    7. The closing comments and Robert T footage was too forced and maybe almost sallacious. But I forgive it since he put the project together anyway.
    8. Sad to hear of animosity between him and Joe. That had to be hurtful.

Sad...

8. Grunge Master

Grunge Master 8 Bit Enthusiast

As far as his bipolar is concerned, I don't think that people realized that he had it until late in his life. Peter Erskine, who was one of Jaco's closest pals, didn't realize that he had it until they were going to go on a tour of Japan and Jaco showed up with the tape on his face, which was in the early 80's.
    His form of bipolar was hypomania, in which people that have it have an endless amount of energy, talk all the time, and are extremely confident (or cocky, which is what people thought of about Jaco). So early on I think people thought that he was just this young cocky kid. Also, he was very creative, which I think also could be shown to be part of his bipolar.
    It's like Wayne Shorter said in the film: that maybe the bipolar disorder brought out the creativity, that Jaco may have otherwise not had.

9. dadonred

dadonred Life’s done you wrong so I wrote you all this song

Liberty City from Word of Mouth

Last edited: Jun 15, 2017
  10. Busboy

Busboy Forum Resident

"Word of Mouth"....to my ears, Jaco's finest hour. Pure genius. Great to see this film finally out too, fair play to Trujillo

Grunge Master likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.