Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by seventeen, Aug 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Thanks for the info.

2. According to today's bulletin at www.blu-ray.com, "Avatar" is going to be released on DVD and Blu-ray on April 22nd, Earth Day.:righton: 2-D only, unfortunately, as Cameron wants time to work on the 3-D special edition with all the bells and whistles before releasing it in time for Christmas this year.:(

3. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

That's quite early. I can imagine it being a box-office draw even then.

4. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

Actually, the persona he puts forward is a drunk, off-kilter serial-killer.

I think his Start Wars review was much better done.

John K.

5. Dr. Bogenbroom

Dr. Bogenbroom I'm not a Dr. but I play one on SteveHoffman.TV

Watched it today. 1st 3D movie I have seen and I thought it was...

Nothing original, the story's been told countless times. However, I've had steak countless times, but that doesn't mean I don't like it. The presentation of the story was spectacular!

The 3D was mostly done quite well, occasionally distracting and rarely annoying.

I don't think it was overly long. I didn't notice that it took almost three hours to tell the story.

I think I'd like to take my wife to go see it since she has never been to a 3D movie either.

6. alanb

alanb Senior Member

I watched this last night and was CRINGING when they came out with lines like 'flux vortex".....oh brother corny or what....

fluff ....bunkum....take your pick....

7. Keith Moon

Keith Moon Active Member

:thumbsdn: :thumbsdn:

That is all I need to say for that review.

8. RDK

RDK Active Member

How else does one describe a "flux vortex?" :confused:

9. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

You think "flux vortex" is worse than "unobtanium"? I swear, they were using this silly non-word in Unca Scrooge comics in the 1960s...

But I still say for all the lame dialogue and corny characterizations, the movie has a lot of heart and did certain things extraordinarily well. The fact that the public and many critics responded so well should give you a clue that maybe Avatar is a lot more than just bad dialogue.

10. seventeen

seventeen Forum Resident Thread Starter

Unobtainium is an actual word.

11. Metralla

I cannot agree with that - there is originality to the story. Surely there are bits and pieces that come from all over the place, but there is something new here.

12. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

Yes, there was no flux vortex in Dances With Wolves or Pocahontas.

13. alanb

alanb Senior Member

:D

14. Metralla

Ok. Your loss.

15. Dr. Bogenbroom

Dr. Bogenbroom I'm not a Dr. but I play one on SteveHoffman.TV

:winkgrin:

What was new about it? I didn't stop at that phrase but continued it with "it's all about the presentation and the presentation here was great!" or something to that effect. It was a greatly presented retelling of an old story. Nothing negative about that.

16. Flux vortex? Is that the disturbance in time directionality caused by a flux capacitor?

17. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

I don't know whether to laugh or cry:

http://www.slate.com/toolbar.aspx?action=print&id=2248683

18. MichaelR

MichaelR New Member

Well we never had 10 foot tall blue heroes before that I know of - but have to say I found the story a bit nothing.

I did love the old "psycho Commander" bits, gold!

19. MichaelR

MichaelR New Member

20. MichaelR

MichaelR New Member

Yeah, Unobtainium cracked me up !!!

21. alanb

alanb Senior Member

22. puffyrock2

puffyrock2 Forum Resident

Not much different than the Spock Ears and klingon speak. Every generation has to have it's geeks doomed to live a virginal life;)

23. RadioClash

RadioClash Senior Member

A little strange, sure, but no stranger than your usual sporting event crowd. In fact, I'm a lot less creeped out by Avatar fanatics than I am with some of these guys. They talk the talk, but just try and get them on an Ikran. Poseurs, all of them :D

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

24. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

I had planned to see Avatar when it came to our little late run, one week only theater in Tryon (they sell beer!!!) Unfortunately, I got stuck in Spartanburg too late, so I went to see it there. Weird. I was the ONLY one in the theater, there didn't look to be a dozen people in the entire multiplex on a Saturday night. The staff was pimping $3.50 dollar sodas and similarly priced small bags of popcorn and candy. The fricking ticket was over $9.00.

Has no one in corporate stopped to consider that they'd make more money, and maybe not go out of business if they cut ticket prices by about three dollars and halved concession costs? The economy is still in the toilet, and people can't afford to go out at these prices. I could have gotten the ticket, popcorn and an import for about $11 or $12 here in town, and I guarantee you that that theater wasn't empty tonight.

25. GreenDrazi

GreenDrazi Truth is beauty

At this point, just wait a few weeks and get the Blu-ray. :righton:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.