Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by seventeen, Aug 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

I read a recent article in USA Today or somewhere that movie box office is actually up during the recession, just as it was during the Depression. Movies are still a relatively cheap luxury during hard times.

2. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

Not only is having a partial language developed for fans old news because Star Trek's Klingon has been there, done that long ago, it's been done well before Trek with more impressive scope: even if folks hadn't heard of J. R. R. Tolkien, they've probably heard of The Lord of the Rings...

Although I'd suppose it's possible that the higher the bar is set, the greater the Blockbuster Effect: folks being selective, resulting in common choices having bigger booms than ever and reduced audiences chancing smaller titles. That may not actually be a healthy situation for the movie business at large.

3. Drew

Drew Senior Member

Ticket prices aren't going down. They're going up.

http://money.cnn.com/2010/03/25/tec...et_price_spike/index.htm?section=money_latest

I usually get a box of Raisinettes when I go to the movies. But when I saw
    Avatar in 3D I didn't even go to the concession stand.

4. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

I never buy anything at the concession stand when I go to the movies (or ballgame.) I always sneak in my own snacks and drinks in my coat, pockets or one of the girl's purses.

5. "Unobtainium" is contemporary slang for rare material. I think that it was used the same way in Avatar--not the actual name of the mineral they were mining, but a tongue-in-cheek reference to the scarcity of it.

For a current example, see here:

Congress Holds Hearings on Unobtainium

http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2010/03/congress-holds-hearings-on-unobtainium/

6. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

By that reasoning, "Thismoviesucksium" would be contemporary slang for Avatar. ;)

7. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I don't think it's fair to say that a movie that spurred 881 messages on a discussion board and made $2,700,000,000 is deserving of the word "suck." I think it would be fair to say it's a commercially-successful movie that has some flaws, and some people are bothered by the flaws more than others.

8. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

I agree completely. It is one of Hollywood's biggest success stories ever. Suck doesn't enter a discussion of a movie that wowed so many people.

9. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Man, you're arguing with a brick wall there. And don't get him started on "The Dark Knight". :sigh:

The perfect rule of Driver8 posts: he will defend movies/music popular with the masses if the people here look down on it. If the movie/music is popular with the masses AND the SHF, he will attack it.

If 99% of the SHF posts about "Avatar" savaged it, he'd defend it as the greatest thing since toenail fungus removal...

10. I don't get it.

11. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Yeah, I've dealt with people who dislike something even without seeing it, on the basis of "if it's a huge mass-market success, there must be something wrong with it."

I have the opposite point of view: sometimes, I'll go to something that I otherwise wouldn't see just because it's popular, if only to be able to say, "ah -- I see why people liked this." What kills me is when really bad movies like Transformers or Twilightare popular, and I just shake my head in bewilderment. At least in the latter case, most of the critics seem to have the same opinion as I did.

12. SgtPepper1983

SgtPepper1983 Forum Resident

Agreed. And it's this crowd that claims Avatar to be the best movie ever made.

I know it's been discussed to death but I would like to have an answer: do you guys think the special effects in Avatar do really look better than those of Episode I? And I don't mean the quantity of them.

13. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

According to my wife, who went to that same theater during a matinee, it was a pretty full house, but at "prime time" on a Saturday night it was a ghost town. That tells me something.

14. Drew

Drew Senior Member

15. evanft

evanft Forum Resident

So basically there's no reason to buy the BR/DVD.

16. darkmatter

darkmatter Gort Astronomer Staff

Watched it on BRD finally last night, and enjoyed it :)

17. rjp

rjp Senior Member

saw it last night on DVD. well done, would probably enjoy the 3D version.

i'm sure there will be numerous releases of this over the next couple of years:

additional footage
    3D version
    director's commentary
    deleted scenes
    gag reel
    etc
    etc
    etc

18. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Saw Princess Mononoke for the first time a couple of days ago—James Cameron stole a lot from that brilliant movie. If you haven't seen it, do. It has many similar themes to Avatar but is far superior as story-telling. As regards visuals, Hayao Miyazaki is the master of animated cartoons. I love how he slips in Ukiyo-e references into his frames.

19. Feisal K

Feisal K Forum Resident

Have you seen Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind?

[​IMG]

Amazon's writeup

20. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

21. Feisal K

Feisal K Forum Resident

You'll love it!

there ought to be a dedicated Hayao Miyazaki/Studio Ghibli thread around here... are we waiting for him to die to declare him a genius?

22. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

The Nightwalker in Mononoke is sooooo reminiscent of the Navi and all that acrobatic jumping through the forest echos similar scenes in Avatar.

I think Miyazaki doesn't have to worry about his status as genius. Sounds like you should start the thread, I'm a newbie, relatively speaking.

23. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

I don't get that everyone's giving Driver 8 a hard time because he thinks a movie(it shouldn't matter WHAT the movie is) sucks. Y'all can give me a hard time too then because I thought it sucked as well. To say it didn't suck because it made a lot of money and there's a long thread about it makes no sense to me. If someone starts a Kenny G thread in the Music forum and the thread grows to 40 pages does that make him un-suck?
    Robin, you have a Ponyo avatar but you only recently saw what is possibly Miyazaki's most famous film?

24. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Well of course it does! :winkgrin:

Wait till the Forum finds out that all the Beatles instrumental tracks were actually laid down by the Wrecking Crew. :shh:

Not only that, but one of my favorite and most admired friends told me to watch Princess Mononoke ten years ago. Weird, eh?

25. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

Strange experience watching AVATAR on Blu-ray at Best Buy:

The images were so sharp and so delineated that watching it was quickly fatiguing. It was like reading the razor-sharp ratings info at the beginning of every Blu-ray, if you had to look at them for several minutes instead of seconds.

My guess is that the picture was set to vibrant, maximum sharpness and everything else they do to make an HDTV look more immediately impressive than the others on display. And I'm pretty sure the seats were too close for the screen's size. But, wow, it was tough to watch. I wanted to hit a fuzz-it-up-a-little-bit button.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.