James Stewart Westerns

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by budwhite, Sep 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Thread Starter

What did you think of the thin man as a gunman? Miscast or great?
    He's my favorite of the old time western actors. John Wayne did lots of great ones but Jimmy was the better guy.

I haven't seen all but these are the ones I remember liking a lot. Great scenery in most of them. I prefer the big sky country to the the Arizona/Texas dusty saloon westerns.

The man from Laramie
    Naked spur
    Winchester '73
    Bend of the river
    The far country
    The man who shot Liberty Valance
    Broken Arrow

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 2, 2015
  2. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

He was exactly a traditional "gunman" in Liberty Valence, but Stewart, Wayne, and Marvin combine to make the greatest drama set in a western setting ever. I can't really bring myself to call it a western.

sixtiesstereo, keef00 and mmars982 like this.
  3. jjh1959

jjh1959 Senior Member

Bandolero.

Also, not exactly a western, but Shenandoah.

4. Al Kuenster

Al Kuenster Senior Member

Firecreek and Cheyenne Social Club
    How the West Was Won

NaturalD likes this.
  5. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

Great list of films. Liberty Valance and Naked Spur are among my favourite films, never mind favourite Westerns. Maybe Man from Laramie too. Shenandoah, the one really good film by Andrew V. McLaglen, is another good one, somewhat Fordian in tone. There are also Destry Rides Again, Night Passage (which, I believe was scheduled to be directed by Mann), Two Rode Together (he's good, but the theme aside, it's minor Ford), How the West was Won (particularly the Civil War section) and The Shootist.

davenav likes this.
  6. budwhite

I have Shenandoah but haven't seen it yet, might pick that one for tonight.
    I saw How the west was won as a kid and I remember great scenery and big stars, but it was to long and uneven

Mister Charlie likes this.
  7. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

Winchester '73 gets a lot of play at my house.
    From that golden era when you could name
    a film after a firearm with total impunity.

8. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

I haven't seen many of them, but really enjoy Winchester '73

budwhite likes this.
  9. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

The Mann-Stewart westerns are all excellent -- the series deserves a thread of its own.

'Night Passage' was indeed to have been directed by Mann, but he found the script weak. After Mann bowed out Stewart would never work with him again (some sources claim he never SPOKE to Mann again).

Shenandoah has an interesting script (intended for Spencer Tracy) but flat direction. Still some good moments,

Firecreek plays like a padded Gunsmoke episode (several of its makers worked on that series). Highlights are the "wake" and the shootout climax,

Bandolero, for all its silliness, is actually quite entertaining. The scene where Stewart and Martin discuss moving to Montana (with all its resident Indians) is an unrecognized classic.

The Cheyenne Social Club is even sillier, but is pleasant enough. Those familiar with the real-life Stewart-Fonda friendship will be amused by Fonda's working-man Democrat, and Stewart's considering himself a Republican businessman.

Stewart fantatics should check out his early 1950s radio series The Six-Shooter (it would morph into the TV series Restless Gun, with John Payne). The Christmas episode, where Stewart meets a runaway boy and narrates a westernized Christmas Carol to him, is a classic that deserves to be better known.

guy incognito and Mister Charlie like this.
  10. budwhite

Thanks for the info!

11. My faves are Winchester '73 and The Man Who Shot Liberty Vallance.

12. JerolW

JerolW Senior Member

Destry Rides Again.
    Winchester '73.

jerol

budwhite likes this.
  13. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

My dad had copies of these he used to play for me when I was a kid. I should see if he still has them.

I was surprised it took until Jerol posted about Destry Rides Again. That's a great one.

I have fond memories of Two Rode Together, but I can't remember a damn thing about it.

I tried re-watching Liberty Valence again recently and found it to be clumsily made and flatly photographed. Really shocking considering the talent involved. It is indeed a good story, but it's presented with very little subtlety. I know I'm in the minority here, so...

budwhite likes this.
  14. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

"The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance" is my favorite of the bunch. It elicits different feelings in me each time I see it.

I'm also a big fan of "Broken Arrow". I first saw it around the release of "Dances With Wolves" and I thought the earlier film did a lot to pave the way for the existence of the later one.

Both films raise questions about the inevitably (or lack thereof) of violent resolution, which is what draws me to them.

I'd give the "thumbs up" to most every film discussed here except "How the West Was Won" and "Cheyenne Social Club".

budwhite likes this.
  15. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

16. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

I have a soft spot for Bandolero too; in fact, it and McLintock are the only other McLaglen films I have any time for, but neither are as emotionally involving as Shenandoah. I think Two Rode Together suffers from too much studio footage and a dumb bad Indian/good Indian plot but the scenes when the captives are returned to the whites lift it considerably. Another strange move is to call the Comanche chief Quanah, yet make no explicit reference to the fact that the actual Quanah was the son of a captive. I like Stewart in Cheyenne Autumn too - if you can find the complete version

budwhite likes this.
  17. The Naked Spur is a great film, beautifully filmed in Southwestern Colorado ("America's Switzerland"), and ably acted by Stewart, Robert Ryan, Ralph Meeker, Janet Leigh and Millard Mitchell. That's the entire cast, except for an Indian war party that's just there briefly to get shot up.

I'm still waiting for a Blu-ray if this, but I'm not getting any younger.

18. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

Can't even get a proper DVD of it in the UK. For me, it's the best of the Mann films with a great performance by Stewart.

19. budwhite

Isn't Night Passage shot in Colorado as well? Featuring that old Durango mountain train? I'm sure I read about it somewhere. Maybe when I was there a few years ago. So very beautiful and majestic!

20. RogerB

RogerB Forum Resident

Love Jimmy Stewart!!! There will never be another like him. Liberty Valence is one of my favorite movies and he was outstanding in it!

21. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

Naked Spur and Liberty Valence are both top notch.

22. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

there isn't a JS movie that i do not like, but Winchester '73 is my fav Western.

23. Dr. Pepper

I enjoy the commentary track on Wnchester '73 with Stewart chatting for the length of the film about the film and his career at length.

Benno123 and Michael like this.
  24. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

He has such a pleasant voice...

budwhite and Dr. Pepper like this.
  25. Dr. Pepper

It is funny though when the interviewer tries to get some anecdotes about other actors in the film and Jimmy describes ever one as a great actor and kind person without any real anacdotes about any of them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.