James Stewart Westerns

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by budwhite, Sep 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

LOL..that's pretty funny...I've loved Jimmy since i was a youngster...

Dr. Pepper likes this.
  2. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

There are also stretches of silence when Jimmy is done with an answer and the interviewer is figuring out his next questions, and I halfway expect Jimmy to say, "Could you please be quiet, I'm trying to watch the movie." He does seem kind of annoyed at having to stop watching to answer a question. I don't think he really understood what a commentary track was all about, but it's part of what makes it kind of a fun listen.

Michael likes this.
  3. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

LOL! that's the funniest thing I've read today! just like Jimmy he pulls no punches...I guess he got lost in the movie considering he was there to comment on it!

4. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

"The man in the saddle is angular and long-legged. His skin is sun-dyed brown..."

Great show. Archive.org has the complete run of episodes (including the never-aired pilot) free of charge.

The Six Shooter -Single Episodes

Last edited: Sep 4, 2015
  5. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Don't like his oaters.
    Comes across as a wimp.
    Best exemplified in Liberty Valence'which was he was perfectly suited in.

6. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

He's a wimp in The Naked Spur?

7. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Thread Starter

I thought he fit perfect as the Western hero. I like him best in that genre.

8. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

If you watch Philadelphia Story, It's a Wonderful Life, Winchester '73, Rear Window, and Anatomy of a Murder, You can see he is perfect for each of these roles and brilliant at all of them while portrays vastly different characters and the tone of each film is completely different. Jimmy was a master as a leading man that could bend himself into multiple roles and genres like a human Gumby! I can't think of any other star that was ever in so many of the best films ever made that were so vastly different from each other outside of perhaps Tom Hanks.

smilin ed likes this.
  9. floydfan

floydfan Forum Resident

I love all of them but particularly The Man From Laramie, Night Passage and Winchester 73. The blu-ray of Man From Laramie is jaw dropping.

10. alexpop

Prefer him to Tom Hanks ( just). Stewart is a brilliant drama/comedy actor. But when it comes to his cowboy films I prefer other actors in the saddle.

11. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

I don't think Hanks does bitter the way Stewart does. In those Mann Westerns, he frequently flirts with manic violence, but there's enough decency in him to pull him back from descending to the level of the antagonist, whether it be Robert Ryan or Arthur Kennedy, who are often the Stewart character gone bad in a fairly unbridled fashion.

guy incognito likes this.
  12. I also like most of the Jimmy Stewart westerns mentioned here. Encore Play, the streaming service available if you have a pay TV service with Encore offers about a half dozen of his westerns mentioned here. I don't know how long those will be available and I would think the quality will be better than you might find on YouTube or Internet Archive.

13. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

"Bandolero!" is currently streaming both on Netflix and Amazon Prime. I gave it a re-watch last night. Stewart is surely the best thing in it - playing a character with a complicated, conflicted and shifting set of values. IMO the Raquel Welch love triangle portion of the plot drags the film down (as does her accent), but Stewart is terrific as usual, as is Will Geer.

As a (very) trivial aside, for an "Odd Couple" freak such as myself, the film features the actors who played legendary cowboy star Slim Daniels (Dub Taylor) and his sidekick Grubby (Patrick Cranshaw) in the episode "The Hideaway" (aka "Ernie the Eskimo").

[​IMG] [​IMG]

budwhite likes this.
  14. alexpop

A wee bit early ' but the Jimmy Stewart Christmas TV thing he did was special.

15. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

"We take care o' our own!"

RayS likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.