James Taylor - s/t Apple LP in mono???

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chris R, Mar 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris R

Chris R Forum Fones Thread Starter

Attached Files:

2. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Nice. They are rare but do exist and pop up in trade magazines, and in some used record stores in London.

Not too much of a bad price. I'm sure the album was a fold down, but the price seems right. I would go for it :) !

3. lennonfan

lennonfan New Member

it looks like ol' perry has a reserve on it....expect to pay big $$$$$$.

4. Alan T

Alan T Senior Member

Sold by Perry Cox - the guy who writes many of the Beatles LP price guides.

5. whoompley

whoompley Senior Member

I have one. It took me eight years to find one after I learned of its existence in the booklet of the CD. It's not a fold down. There are a few subtle differences in the mix.

the other Wes

6. xios

xios Senior Member

About 10 years ago Rockaway Records offered "recently discovered" unplayed mono copies of the JT, the Mary Hopkin "Postcard" and the Spector Xmas lp for $10 each. I bought the latter two but not the Taylor. The Hopkin disc sounds like a fold down, I can't hear any differences. If the JT's not a fold down, I will retroactively kick myself.

7. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

I wish I had a copy right now, because I'm always curious about mono rock Lp's post-1967. It's a real crapshoot; some are genuinely unique mixes, others are fold-downs. Going by the "Carolina In My Mind" 45, I'd say at best it's a fold down with some Eq work, but who knows? It's folkie stuff, and could easily be an original mono mix that just sounds a lot like the stereo, without a lot of major differences more elaborately recorded albums tend to have. And as POST CARD should have "Those Were The Days," and that was mixed to mono first(the stereo album was months away), I wonder about that one as well. The Spector album is the same old mono mix we've come to know and love; no surprises there.

ED:cool:

8. whoompley

whoompley Senior Member

Hey Guys,
    I'm going to be without a computer for about a week, but if you pm me I'll get back to you as soon as I can.

the other Wes

9. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

Mono in the UK only.

Released at the same time as the White Album, so there may very well be mix differences.

10. Chris R

Chris R Forum Fones Thread Starter

This has got to be a separate mono mix. The auction is over. The winner pays $143.50 US (approx. $209.98 Canadian).

Dunno that I would pay $200. for a mono album that was just a fold down mix. But then again, someone paid, what?, $1400. U.S. for a first U.K. pressing of "Tommy" a couple weeks back. People are buying all sorts of rare albums on eBay and paying huge bucks. Whatever. :rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.