James Taylor's strong run of albums from 1991 to now.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PaulKTF, Oct 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member Thread Starter

They could have put it after James' song ended, I suppose. :)

FACE OF BOE likes this.
  2. kmk pdx

kmk pdx Forum Resident

I started enjoying JT's music in 1970, but I'm sorry to say that his albums (of original material) over the past 2 decades have been a continual disappointment. His songwriting has declined significantly, and he relies more and more on a reed-y head voice. Even his concerts have grown stale - 3/4 of his set list is unchanging, he doesn't let his amazingly talented band cut loose at any point, and I've heard him perform his work far better many times already.

JT's earliest albums were superb, but his work declined with his drug problems fin the mid-70s. Flag was an improvement, and he peaked again with That's Why I'm Here and New Moonshine. But since then, I am hard-pressed to name songs that reflect the musical sophistication and melodic sense that he showed on these CDs (Shed a Little Light, Only a Dream in Rio, Sun on the Moon, First Day of May, etc.)

James had become an excellent interpreter of others' songs, however, during his own creative decline. I hope that he'll see fit to release more cover albums, especially including the musical theatre material that he cites as a major influence growing up.

And, of course, his very finest album has never been released - his October 1970 BBC radio performance with Joni Mitchell. Sheer magic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.