James UK Double Vinyl Reissues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cyclistsb, Nov 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Glad you're happy happy with them.
    Two versions of Gold Mother exist. I have the first 'version' compact disc, not sure how the later one sounds, but the 1990 US PDO is an excellent sounding disc.
    With me finding Millionaires almost a sideways move I never went any further :)

bmh5879 likes this.
  2. bmh5879

bmh5879 Forum Resident

You're right, I actually edited my review. It doesn't "blow away" the original CD but it does sound better and more alive to me. I stopped after Millionaires myself and it took me some years before I went back in time with them. Picked them back up with Morning After/Night Before and slowly went back.

c-eling likes this.
  3. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

These reissues are a little overpriced, especially in the UK. Just as an idea, they are £28 in HMV. I’m not desperate but might pick up a couple if they go down. I already have the excellent Back to Black reissues of Laid and Wah Wah.

4. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

Man I wish they’d repress Laid. Going for stupid money now.

Krzych likes this.
  5. Goggen

Goggen Forum Resident

Really enjoying Pleased To Meet You. Very nice pressing, and the album is just sooo good :tiphat:

bmh5879 and David Jakubowski like this.
  6. Goggen

Goggen Forum Resident

...and picked up Seven today. Solid pressing, though listening critically it might lack some sparkle, a tad dark soundwise maybe.

But the music is brilliant, no hesitation in recommending it. Wonder why they weren't bigger in the 90's. Eclipsed by the popularity of grunge perhaps?

7. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

To be honest, I wouldn’t say I found it reall especially that dark. My idea of darkness is the Kate Bush - Aerial reissue...

8. Goggen

Goggen Forum Resident

Not even a tad? ;)

Haven't heard the Aerial reissue...

9. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Maybe it just didn’t jump out at me as being like that, I’d have to listen again...

10. Goggen

Goggen Forum Resident

Might be due to semantics. I see that bmh5879 is calling it a bit bass heavy (or more bass heavy than the cd)

11. MarioHead

MarioHead Forum Resident

Was just listening to "The Best of James" in the car. What a great compilation. hopefully this gets the "first time on vinyl" treatment soon.

David Jakubowski likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.