Janelle Monae's Dirty Computer An Emotion Picture

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by The Revealer, May 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Revealer

The Revealer Forum Status: Paused Indefinitely Thread Starter

I watched the video presentation of Dirty Computer and was really quite taken with the fact that it functions as a short story as well as a fairly obvious construction for presenting a substantial part of the new album [by the same name] in video form. Yet the narrative is quite effective and worthy of discussion on its own in the Visual Arts thread.

I expect that this post will be seen by people just being introduced to the movie version. It's available on YouTube and may still be showing on MTV or BET channels on your dish/cable service since this post is made in the week of its debut. So, take care to indicate 'spoilers' please.

I am just so stunned at the clever ending and the way that I was transported into the world of a Twilight Zone or Black Mirror episode. In fact, I haven't watched Black Mirror and would love recommendations about where to start if not actually at the beginning. Use this video as a touchstone to recommend other content.

DIRTY COMPUTER Summary: Jane awakens in the process of being erased by a society in which she has "rebelled" because of the strict definitions of conformity put in place through the ability to erase minds and control identity. It's not heavy stuff, but it is wonderfully executed with Janelle Monae's 'Augmented' style - which is to say: her true self.

Who else loves it?

Last edited: May 1, 2018
    Yost and OldSoul like this.
  2. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

I saw this show was playing this past Sunday on MTVLive, but missed it. Figured it will get several more airings in the next month. This woman is a Mega Talent just for Music, but now add in a few great Acting Performances in Movies, and she continues to display her great Talents beyond Music. First saw her on 'Later with Jools Holland' episode and I was hooked. Then later read that Prince was mentoring her and I became more interested in her Music. Hope she keeps putting out different Music every few albums in the future(like a Female version of David Bowie, Steven Wilson and of course, Prince).

Yost and The Revealer like this.
  3. The Revealer

The Revealer Forum Status: Paused Indefinitely Thread Starter

So the real question for this presentation, is it the metaphorical death of Cyndi Mayweather? Jane is being changed into Jane with a Number - so there's a clear substitution of concept. Without making this about Cyndi, it suddenly is about a Cyndi proxy. I kept wondering about the line in Django Jane: I got away with murder, no scandal.

Could she mean her own character? If she's killed off Cyndi in order to break free from the facade she has been hiding behind, that would give this presentation a major subtext for fandroid discussion.

My view: Yeah, I came up with the theory and it seems right. I don't know that Monae will never complete the Metropolis Suite, but she sure cut herself a lot of slack with this new release. I, for one, can wait a decade for her to return to Cyndi assuming she ever does with new material.

4. Yost

Yost “It’s only impossible until it’s not”

Nice video. I was surprised that some tracks seem to differ from the album versions. I hope they will be released on a "Deluxe Edition" in the future.

5. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

I finally got around to watch it and it's visually stunning. I wouldn't read too much in it. It's a collection of clips framed by the story about the "Dirty Computer" being "cleaned". But it's definitely daring in its sexual images, crossing hetero and homosexuality (though the latter dominates it).

Makes you wonder where Monáe will go next. She seems to know no fear. It's especially impressive, since she's at a point where she could become a big mainstream succes, if she would just compromise or hold back a little. I'm glad she doesn't.

The Revealer likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.