Japan Mini LP SHM-CDs - New Releases, George Harrison and more

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by toilet_doctor, Jan 19, 2017.

1. toilet_doctor

toilet_doctor "Rockin' chair's got me" Thread Starter

DU Dealers are not evolved at least for now. While I was talking to one of them who I deal with for many years, Japanese swept first print. From 5 album I ordered, only Extra Texture 2 pieces left in stock for a first print (I grabbed one), the rest will be 2nd print in 1-4 days - they said.
    I ordered 6 items (2 double) with EMS shipping (about $24).

This is my order as a sampler for those, who do it for a first time:

Catalog No., Items, Release Date, Status Price
    UICY-78137
    [​IMG]
    [CD] George Harrison / All Things Must Pass [Cardboard Sleeve (mini LP)] [SHM-CD] [Limited Release]

Availability: Pre-order:Usually ships in 1-4 days after it is released
    February 24, 2017 Processing 4000 yen
    UICY-78137
    [CD] George Harrison / All Things Must Pass [Cardboard Sleeve (mini LP)] [SHM-CD] [Limited Release]
    February 24, 2017 Processing 4000 yen
    UICY-78139
    [​IMG]
    [CD] George Harrison / Living In The Material World [Cardboard Sleeve (mini LP)] [SHM-CD] [Limited Release]

February 24, 2017 Processing 2667 yen
    UICY-78141
    [​IMG]
    [CD] George Harrison / Extra Texture [Cardboard Sleeve (mini LP)] [SHM-CD] [Limited Release]

Availability: Pre-order:Usually ships by the release date
    UICY-78144
    [​IMG]
    [CD] George Harrison / Somewhere In England [Cardboard Sleeve (mini LP)] [SHM-CD] [Limited Release]
    UICY-78146
    [​IMG]
    [CD] George Harrison / Cloud Nine [Cardboard Sleeve (mini LP)] [SHM-CD] [Limited Release]

Subtotal 18668 yen
    Shipping 2720 yen
    Total 21388 yen
    Final Order Total 21388 yen
    US$ 183.84

P.S.
    I am an idiot - I knew how it goes better than anybody else - I should order it 2 days ago and then talk to my guy - it is no problem to cancel the order before release date or add some more items. I'm still considering Live in Japan - some songs are so good (first print also gone, buy the way).

Last edited: Jan 20, 2017
    DmitriKaramazov likes this.
  2. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025)

I pre-ordered All Things, but I'm really interested to see if there is a promo box to hold them all. There is already an All Things promo box released in Japan, but it only holds 6 or so.

toilet_doctor likes this.
  3. Terry

Terry Senior Member

I grabbed All Things, Material World, and the quad Jeff Beck, Rough and Ready.

4. toilet_doctor

All Things should be in its own box, so Promo box should be big enough to take it, like box-in-box...

Jerry Horne likes this.
  5. Jerry Horne

It would be funny if they did a box and it was Electronic Sound :)

6. toilet_doctor

Nope, it's normal - whatever Artworks they will use for the Promo Box Set, it will be Collector's item. For the Stones they did several different boxes.

7. Jerry Horne

I mean funny as in it's most fans least favorite GH album.

I have the Stones promo box for Sticky Fingers and it holds all of their 70's and 80's mini cd's perfectly.

8. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

no word from Disc Uion don't think there's a box coming also why buy all titles ?,some are so so lps ,some are just plain bad(Gone Troppo) some are classics and fine lps

9. Jerry Horne

Gone Troppo is one of my favorite GH lp's.

DmitriKaramazov and mikaal like this.
  10. toilet_doctor

PROMO box means free box for entire set. You can find it only on eBay (entire set or empty box). Price of the Japan Promo box depends on the Market demand.

Jerry Horne likes this.
  11. toilet_doctor

I just re-listened Live in Japan and I'll pass on it.

12. PNeski@aol.com

What a great list of songs and Gorge sounds alright ,but the whole thing has that 80's sound

13. PNeski@aol.com

More than that it depends on Label and rightsthere are few Warner artists(not George anymore). Yes you need to buy all the titles. disc Union has a whole new page for these,I didn't see anything about a new box. If they don't do it ,that's it

14. Jimmy Agates

Jimmy Agates CRAZY DOCTOR

...still no "and more"

15. toilet_doctor

Thank you for pointing out.
    I have to explain.
    DU Outlet store and many other Japanese retailers do sell entire Promo Box sets, but they all would not mail them to you, I mean aboard. They sell box sets only within Japan. There are two reasons for that:
    It is hard to ship safely without damage and big sets are a hell expensive; insurance and such will drive shipping cost to the sky, more than some sets cost. Besides, if you ever tried to collect Int'l Post insurance, you could know what it is.

In the matter of fact, they sell for the price with Japan tax, because their customers are Japanese people, not you or me:
    GEORGE HARRISON / ジョージ・ハリスン / オール・シングス・マスト・パス | diskunion.net OLD ROCK ONLINE SHOP »

And just the opposite: cdjapan is selling aboard with price before taxes. Again, they do not offer box sets, because it is too challenging to ship.

It always nice to see the pictures of this beautiful box sets on DU site to know what you have to find on eBay (go down to see more images):
    V.A. / (プレミアム復刻紙ジャケシリーズ) / プレミアム紙ジャケ復刻シリーズRIVERSIDE編まとめ買い特典BOX / 特典:紙ジャケ収納ボックス | diskunion.net OLD ROCK ONLINE SHOP »

16. toilet_doctor

Will do...

Jimmy Agates likes this.
  17. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Are we sure these are all NEW masterings?

moss and eelkiller like this.
  18. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

No kidding, the Lennon discs were clones of the Apple domestic remasters

moss and supermd like this.
  19. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I'm confident that is the case here as well.

DmitriKaramazov, moss and eelkiller like this.
  20. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

21. PNeski@aol.com

yes there are dealers in japan (Ebay) that will ship you them when they come out for some mark up price ,If you want just the box ,they sell that down the road too ,but you pay more ,but so far no Harrison box for the whole set ,there were a smaller boxes that did come out sometime ago

22. supermd

supermd Senior Member

No offense, but I don't trust that wording. Even if it was completely accurate, it makes you ask another question: what was used as the master for the latest vinyl? The current digital masterings used on the currently-available CDs?

23. toilet_doctor

No-no, it's a big offence. I'm trying hard to bring to you info on a plate. But people even bother to read very first damn post.
    (from the Post #20)
    Guys, this is a whole point, I underlined it in the Post #1:
    "The original analogue master tapes were used for the new re-masters and were cut at the legendary Capitol studios to ensure exceptional audio quality throughout."
    [Wordy-shwordy]

Randy Goldberg and Carlox like this.
  24. toilet_doctor

Japanese DU dealers are very honest people. Their price on new releases contains: Retail price + eBay fees (up to 15%) + PayPal fee (about 4.75%) and part of the shipping cost. It's true, they are only people, who are willing carefully pack and safely ship boxes and entire sets. Almost all my boxes came from them.
    Harrison's old boxes cannot be used for All Things album - that's only a problem. But could be used for the rest of the albums with All Things standing in between the boxes in its own flat box.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2017
  25. toilet_doctor

Sony continue their series of Jeff Beck solo albums in very attractive 7" (size of old 45's) Mini LP Hybrid SACD started in 2014. Then they took 2 years break and finally decided to continue in 2016. This is 6th album in the series. While been costly (currently about $44), they are exceptionally packaged, that makes them worth the money. Did they?
    CDJapan : Search result by ( jeff beck sacd ) OR "jeff beck sacd" »

Jan. 18, 2017

Jeff Beck Group Rough And Ready
    (7" Mini LP Hybrid Multi-ch. SACD)

"One of the greatest rock masterpieces "Rough And Ready" from Jeff Beck Group is out as a SACD Hybrid multi-ch edition on January 18, 2017.
    The disc is divided into two layers as follows: SACD (5.1ch) and CD. The CD layer uses audio source translated from SACD (2ch). Features the latest remastering. 7-inch cardboard sleeve packaging. Includes a poster and more (subject to change). World's first SACD Hybrid reissue
    ."

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(Translation really is "rough and ready", sorry about that)
    "Rough and Ready - SACD Multi Hybrid Edition - [Limited Edition] / Jeff Beck Group
    Beck the world's first 4ch mix work in the world The first SACD hybridization! The first Jeff Beck group has broken up, the heartbreak has been found from zero to the members and formed in 1973 is the second term Jeff · This work is the first in Beck Group (JBG is the third total work). Beck's talent to open the leading edge of the era began to accelerate further with the innovative sound that introduced the essence of soul / funk greatly from the previous blues rock. In addition, for the first time as Beck, Quadraphonic board (= 4 ch mix) that was just developed at that time appeared in 1972. In commemoration of the Japan tour which will be held from January to February 2017, the world's first release of SACD 5.1ch is realized in this work. The reissue using the 4 ch mix · master has been indeed for 45 years. It is like a realistic sense of power as if it is playing as if it is surrounded by listeners, the vividness of the guitar's fine nuances that can be buried in 2 ch can be heard vividly, etc. Surround · You can enjoy mix with high sound quality. The CD layer is also the latest remastered board which adopted the sound source translated from SACD's 2ch master for the first time. <Permanent preservation board of Beck fan in the world> The sixth series of the final of the series! 【Fully production limited edition】 Japan celebration board / World's first SACD hybridization / Japan's original project / Hybrid CD / 7 inch paper jacket (analog · Single sized) / US Edition original · Quadra Phonic LP artwork LP Japanese original single jacket of God The Feeling / Got The Feeling First Reprint (Quadraphonic · Logo Jacket / Gold · Label Specification) / Reprint / Commentary on Quadraphonic · Mix, Nostalgic of 71 years · 76 years Reprinting of Liner Notes / UK board promotion · Bio · sheet which was sealed in kit · resized poster / Japanese version stereo / quadrupolic LP enclosed in first press It was being resized Reproducing the poster / Japanese edition stereo LP's first edition band + Japanese version Quadraphonic LP's first edition band reprinted 2 sided printing band / 2016 remaster board.
    "

It is 2016 Remaster, but... I'm a little lost here. They said that Quad mix has been used for 5.1 ch SACD for the first time and CD layer from SACD 2 ch. mix also for the first time(?)

It's looks to me that all innovation here is missing. I remember old info of the first release 2014 Blow by Blow: "...is the first appearance in Japan "SACD Multi-ch Hybrid" = (SACD 5.1 ch / SACD 2 ch / CD) - 3-layer structure".
    Is this is also 3-layer Hybrid SACD? And that they want to tell us(?)

[In my view it's a big step forward in the Hybrid SACD development.
    What I mean. I recently bought Analog Spark (new label) Ella Fitzgerald Sings the Cole Porter Song Book (2-disc) Mini LP Hybrid Stereo SACD, where:
    (from Analog Spark Hybrid SACDs - New Releases thread)
    "...this is 2-disc edition, but only Disc 1 is Hybrid SACD with all 32 tracks on SACD layer and 16 tracks on CD layer, while Disc 2 is Red Book CD with the rest of 16 tracks."

3-layer SACD could be use with one SACD layer for all 32 tracks from 3LPs and 2 CD layers for Red Book 16 + 16 track on each layer].

OK, back to Beck's Rough and Ready album.
    I found very informative and compact review with a bit of history and ratings of all albums on the tripod.com site:

"Out of the famous trio of Yardbirds guitarists, Jeff Beck seems to wind up with the short end of the stick. While Eric Clapton may have found success with Cream and a solo career and Jimmy Page founded Led Zepplin, Beck took a different path. Founding his own group after leaving the Yardbirds, Beck was one of the early heavy metal pioneers with his first few albums, influencing groups like Led Zepplin. Then Beck moved towards a jazz-fusion style, which aptly displayed his vast technical prowess, culminating in two well regarded instrumental albums, Wired and Blow by Blow. Beck then began to record more sporadically through the late 70s and 80s. Fortunately it appears that he is picking it up once again, releasing albums in the past few years using a techno beat to back his playing. I have seen Beck in concert and he is the most impressive guitar player I've ever seen - his technique is amazing from slide to blues to jazz fusion. The man has a bag of tricks that makes everyone else look one-dimensional.

The Jeff Beck Group Mk I: Jeff Beck (guitar), Ron Wood (bass), Rod Stewart (vocals), Mick Waller (drums) and Nicky Hopkins (piano). Waller replaced by Tony Newman for Beck-Ola.

The Jeff Beck Group Mk II: Jeff Beck (guitar), Clive Chaman (bass), Bob Tench (guitar), Cozy Powell (drums), and Max Middleton (keys).

The Jeff Beck Group: Truth (1968), ***1/2
    The Jeff Beck Group: Beck-Ola (1969), ***
    Rod Stewart: The Rod Stewart Album (1969), ***
    The Jeff Beck Group (Mk II): Rough and Ready (1971), ****
    The Jeff Beck Group (Mk II) (1972), ***
    Beck, Bogart and Appice (1973) A power trio with members of Vanilla Fudge. Supposedly terrible.
    Blow by Blow (1975), ****1/2
    Hummingbird: Hummingbird (1975), **1/2
    Wired (1976), ****
    Hummingbird: Diamond Nights (1977), ***
    There & Back (1980), ***1/2

The Jeff Beck Group (Mk II): Rough and Ready (1971), ****
    "Having entirely replaced his backing band, Beck embarked on an almost entirely new sound. It's faster, syncopated, and (dare I say it), slightly funky. Gone are the Elvis covers and hard rock approach; instead, new singer Bob Tench comes close to oversinging ("Jody" is the only time he does) but is a heck of a lot easier to listen to. But the biggest change is the addition of Max Middleton on keys - his role appears to be almost as big as Beck's. That is not to diminish Beck's talents, which he displays admirably with blistering slide work ("Short Business") or blues. Beyond that, "Raynes Park Blues" is a test run for Beck's later fusion work that does not quite gel, but still has some nice Peter Green-esque moments in it. My personal favorite is "New Ways/Train Train", whose first half sounds exactly like Stevie Wonder, and serves a showcase for Beck's talent. With only a few weak spots and nothing embarrassing, this album is great."

I tried the album on youtube and I liked a lot of places, but I feel necessity to listen to it more to get in it deeper and make decision:

Guys, who bought previous albums, please comment your impression here.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2017