Japan Mini LP SHM-CDs - New Releases, George Harrison and more

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by toilet_doctor, Jan 19, 2017.

1. Boaz

Boaz Forum Resident

Received “Ghost” and “Grave new world” today. This two are my favorite from the Strawbs. Played Ghost on my system sound very good less loud then the 1998 remaster, but still can’t tell much more at this point.

toilet_doctor likes this.
  2. toilet_doctor

toilet_doctor "Rockin' chair's got me" Thread Starter

3. toilet_doctor

Thank you for your comment.
    My Ghosts and Hero and Heroine are now on the way through EMS as part of a package with 18 CDs inside (weight more than authorized Registered Airmail). There are 5 Mini LPs and the rest are jewel cases. It makes Express shipping - $ 2.46 per CD.

In 3-4 days I will compare them to the previous releases and post result here.

Shvartze Shabbos and Boaz like this.
  4. toilet_doctor

2018 Strawbs 'Ghosts' and 'Hero & Heroine' Japan Mini LP SHM-CD vs. 1998 Reg. CD

Review
    I started with 'Ghosts'. Track #1, title track is my favorite Strawbs' song. Needless to say, I was happy to hear a significant improvement in the sound of the new release. First of all, the better dynamics leads to clearer sound. In fact, the improvment was in all aspects of sound. The sound reached category "Very Good" I already thought that the whole album would go like this - not so fast...

1998 fought back on the Track #2 'Lemon Pie' with better dynamics than in the title track bordering "Very Good" category. Nevertheless, 2018 was one grade above.
    Track #3 'Starshine' was the best moment of 1998, it entered the category "Very Good" with tighter bass and clear trebles. Although, 2018 also was very good, having better separation between instruments due to SHM printing This was especially evident when accoustic guitar was taking place in quiet moments.
    The rest of the tracks sounded similar to the Track #2. Sometimes 2018 won with a larger margin (Track #5 'Where Do You Go'), but sometimes 1998 came close (Track #10 'Changes').

The brightness of the trebles were not so obvious for both version, but still appeared at some places.
    Overall, 2018 had a smoother and more even track-to-track sound.

1998 'Hero & Heroine' is probably the worst sounding album of all. Major problems are: not so good dynamics, low clarity and heavy brightness of the trebles (in some places it is almost like a speech defect in voices).

Did the new 2018 mastering have these problems fixed? Well, only partially...

The opener of 'Hero & Heroine' entitled 'Autumn' is again one of my favorite. It started with a gorgeous bass line - this is the place where I like to crank the volume. Here, 2018 outperformed previous release. Bass was good, not as fast as I wish, but still good. In generally, a well-presented bass in the mix was the highest point of this album for both releases. However, just the organ broke in, the abrasiveness of the sound spoiled the first impression. Add to it annoying vocal brightness and you've got the picture.

Probably, this is the way how it was recorded. I don't know, is it fixable without surgery or not?

To be fair, there were better sounding tracks. Another great acoustic number with soulful vocal Track #6 'Midnight Sun', Track #7 'Out In The Cold' and Track #9 in the early Genesis style "Lay A Little Light On Me', come to mind. So, some tracks sounded "Average" and some - above average.

Honestly, I expected more from the new remaster of this album in 20 years.
    As for SHM, it only helps when everything is very good.

I wish to tell you, guys: It sounds outstanding, stop doing what you do, and run for it...
    But that is what it is. Sorry about that.

Ghosts - Very Good
    Hero & Heroine - Good/Average

5. toilet_doctor

P.S.

System used
    :
    Player: Cary Audio 360 Pro SACD
    Power amp: Coda Technologies 'KiloWatt Monoblocks'
    Preamp: Coda Technologies
    Speakers: B&W Nautilus 802
    Interconnects: Acoustic Zen Absolute Silver
    Speaker Cables: Acoustic Zen Absolute Silver Shotgun
    I'm seriously consider "Bursting" to add to Sept. order. I did not bought it in the first place, but like it now.

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  6. Dok

Dok Senior Member

I actually haven't gotten around to listening to your choices TD. I've listened to 'Bursting' and the first two. I thought they sounded fine. More resolution. There is however a very slight digital click on the first short bonus track 'Close Your Eyes' on Dragonfly at the 10 sec. mark. Also, apparently going by this - STRAWBSWEB - Album: Universal Japan reissues, 2018 Antiques, Grave New World, Hero, Ghosts, and Nomadness were transferred at the Iron Mountain Studio in Boyers, Pennsylvania, not at Abbey Road. I just doubled checked 'Hero' and sure enough that is what is said. Where the master tapes live - a tour of Iron Mountain Some masters in England and some at Iron Mountain? Hmmm.... Different transfer equipment? Different engineers? Difference in the original recordings? Hmmm... Might be difficult to go down that rabbit hole.

7. toilet_doctor

This is really impressive stories - both of them. Thank you for the links.
    However, if only "Ghosts" were there, I could understand that. But why split the catalog?

By the way, I saw this Promo box image before, then when I wanted to post it, I couldn't find it.

A beauty, isn't it?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
    PhantomStranger and Dok like this.
  8. Boaz

Boaz Forum Resident

I have "Hero" and "Bursting" on old un-remaster version and they both sounds better then the 1998 remasters IMO.

9. toilet_doctor

- warning -

Great and rare opportunity to fulfill your Mini LP Collection with stunning and inexpensive DU Promo box from Japanese DU box dealer:

Nick Drake Five Leaves Left Japan Mini LP Promo box (slip-case style):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(Zero bids!)
    NICK DRAKE PROMO EMPTY BOX Japan mini lp cd | eBay

PhantomStranger likes this.
  10. toilet_doctor

art likes this.
  11. toilet_doctor

Belle Antique continues with 6 more albums in September. This time it's a German prog band Amon Duul II. 5 studio and one Live album will be reissued, as encore press - reprint of the 2009 release for studio albums. But 'Live In London' was not released before, and is a new remaster.

Sep. 25, 2018

Amon Duul II Phallus Dei + 2
    Amon Duul II Yeti (2CD)
    Amon Duul II Tanz Der Lemminge (2CD)
    Amon Duul II Carnival In Babylon + 2 (2CD)
    Amon Duul II Wolf City + 3
    Amon Duul II Live In London

"Cardboard sleeve reissue release from Amon Duul II features SHM-CD format and 2009 remastering. Comes with lyrics." [$28.23]

Overview:
    "Formed in 1968 in Munich, Germany - Disbanded in 1981 - Reunited on several ocasions
    AMON DÜÜL II (or AMON DÜÜL 2) was born of an artistic and political community called Amon Duul (which recorded during the late sixties a long live session made around collective and free musical improvisations).

The band emerged from the underground German rock scene with a very original and eccentric album called "Phallus Dei" (1969). The musicians who participated to this delirious and psychedelic experience were (among others) Peter Leopold (ex AMON DÜÜL), the front woman and singer Renate Knaup, John Weinzierl on the guitars... with guests as Holger Trützsch who plays tribal percussions (original member of Popol Vuh). Then almost with the same musicians the band recorded the seminal "Yeti" (1970). An album in a similar vein than the previous but more accomplished (with a few structured songs and numerous pieces of epic improvisations). "Yeti" will launch AMON DÜÜL II career outside Germany. The same year the bass guitarist Dave Anderson leaves the band to join HAWKWIND.

"Tanz Der Lemminge" which follows directly "Yeti" is an impressive work with a great diversity of powerful, emotional songs with some folk accents next to long free space jamming. Recorded in 1972, "Carnival in Babylon" announces a slight new musical direction taken by the band. This album is dominated by shorter songs with the omnipresent and beautiful Renate Knaup's vocals. A more conventional work with a few memorable prog-folk ballads. The classical period of the band will end with "Wolf City" (1972) and "Viva La Trance" (1973). After the departure of Renate Knaup who joins Popol Vuh in 1974 and the release of a few albums, AMON DÜÜL II split up. In 1981, with the album "Vortex" Chris Karrer tried without success to reform the band.

(Philippe Blache, France)

(translation)
    Yeti [SHM-CD] / Amon Duul II
    "The champion of Germany psychedelic, Amon Duul II, second album released in 1970. Two CD of a masterpiece. Fertile sound universe as if you expressed the illusion picture scroll drawn in the inner jacket as it is. It is an album that established the overwhelming world of ADII that made the listener nailed. In addition to the paper jacket SHM - CD, 2009 remaster, newly added lyrics, encore press!" [$35.93]

Review
    "The entire album is actually a deal you would expect in the late 60's, so if you are a kind of person who can't put his/her finger on the experimental psychedelia of the old, this album is for you. From where I'm standing, it is nothing but a collection of lengthy trippers and really good ditties. Most of the music here is guitar-driven. The guitar tone is really cool, so the chords ring loud and true. Also, the melodies of the guitar are simply "stoney", or "weedy", and there are lots of such melodies. What more could a rock-n'-roll lover possibly want? The experimentalist spirit of the group is present on the record, so that's other good news, unless you are not into timbre play. And, to top it all off, there is this awesome front cover featuring a scythe-man who is about to slash your head off and use it for golfing by a pink flag in the haze of fire. I really like that combo of red, yellow, and evening-blue. There you go. There is power in the music and there is power in the visual art." (progarchives)

Between The Eyes / Paralyzed Paradise / Eye-Shaking King (Live 1970)
    (excellent 2014 video and sound remaster)

The Return of Ruebezahl
    Amon Duul II - The Return of Ruebezahl

(translation)
    Tanz Der Lemminge [SHM-CD] / Amon Duul II
    "Amon Duul II 3rd, announced in 1971. It is said that it is a work which forms a pair with the previous work "Yeti!", And again two CD of the masterpiece, the aggression gave way to the previous work, but the mysterious sense of alignment and floating feeling covered the whole face, and the listener was a jacket art Dragging in the world."

Review
    "This is the third album from this German band and a highly rated one too. Which I can understand. I am an outsider coming into Krautrock and I find a lot of interesting things here.

The music is based on and developed from the more experimental stuff The Beatles did at Revolver. The Indian influences and the more basic melody lines is there. The added on elements are the very strong hypnotic spaced out rock here with loops and added sound effects. The music on this album has a very strong avant-garde element too.

The sound is vintage 1970s and very good. So is the vocalist. The rest of the instrumentation sounds good to me too. I also very much like this jazzy rhythms here. This album has a lot going for it. It is sorely missing some really killer tracks though. It is a very good album with a lot of interesting details, but it really does not click that well with me. I am though a very happy owner of this album. I reserve my right to up this review up to a four star later on, but it is only a three and a halfer for me at this stage
    ." (progarchives)

Amon Düül II ~ Stumbling Over Melted Moonlight

(translation)
    Carnival In Babylon [SHM-CD] / Amon Duul II
    "Amon Duu ll 4th album released in 1972 when popularity increased in a good way. An album with magical power that drags a listener into a dream. Including paper jacket SHM-CD, 2 bonus tracks, 2009 remaster, plus new lyrics; encore press."

Review
    "There is something truly memorizing in the earlier works of AMON DUUL II who managed to release some fantastic early 70's albums. Literally wedged somewhere between the darker psychedelic 60's and the progressive underground German 70's AMON DUUL II emerged as the genre pioneers. "Carnival In Babylon" is a very trippy and evocative album full of allusions to PINK FLOYD and HAWKWIND and a ton of originality. I flip this album personally interchangeably with "Wolf City" and really find this to be the musical companion. As you would expect this album is full of creativity and progressive originality and if you listen real carefully you will hear things you have not ever before. I always said that AMON DUUL II is a band you have to acquire a taste for. I guess I have... A FANTASTIC ALBUM" (progarchives)

All the Years 'Round

Shimmering Sand

(translation)
    Wolf City [SHM-CD] / Amon Duul II
    "Fifth album released in 1972. An album renowned as one of their masterpieces featuring high quality songs. Surreal of jacket and work is also extremely rare, recorded masterpiece "Germany / Nepal". Includes paper jacket SHM-CD, bonus track 3 songs, 2009 remaster, plus new encore press!"

Review
    "This is Amon Duul II's best album. More well-crafted than their previous three rambling jam-heavy efforts, and more spacey and bizarre than their following works. This album is near perfection aside from a couple of rather dull failed experimental instrumental sections... but those mis-steps don't hurt the overall album because the remaining songs are absolutely stunning masterpieces of Krautrock.

The title track, 'Wolf City', is a favorite of mine... it is repetitive and hypnotic with a magnificently bizarre vocal delivery and odd wailing background voices that really make this song memorable and mesmeric. It has an inebriated, hazy, half-awake atmosphere that really draws you in and puts you in a strange (but happy) state of mind.

'Wie der Wind am Ende einer Strasse' is a low point: it's an over-long Indian-influenced instrumental that I guess you need to be stoned to enjoy. Unfortunately, I don't get stoned so this is simply tedious. Skip...

'Deutsch Nepal' picks up the pieces and is one of my favorite moments on the album... again, the vocal delivery here is insane and captivating. It features an angry German narrator with a smoker's cough delivering some sort of sermon... I have no idea what the meaning of any of this is, but it's so unusual one can't help but be intrigued.

'Sleepwalker's Timeless Bridge' is amazing! It's the most pleasant and melodic song on the album and features a beautiful droning ebow guitar solo near the end... the sound of fiery orange clouds parting to reveal heaven's gates opening. This solo is maybe my favorite part of the entire album.

'Surrounded by the Stars' is magical and epic. It goes from excellent heavy riffing verses to cosmic mellotron-rich bridges that make you feel as if the universe itself is beginning to pull itself apart... then there are fantastic dense dreamlike sections full of wonderful violin solos. This song should be considered a classic.

'Green-Bubble-Raincoated-Man' is another favorite. This is as melodic and as accessible as 'Timewalkers...' and features an awesome bass line that reminds me of Paul McCartney, and the song in general has an ambience similar to a lot of the songs from the Beatles' psychedelic years. That is, until, the rough and fuzzy middle guitar solo section kicks in... then it sounds like some sort of hallucinatory peyote trance ritual.

'Jail-house Frog' start off very good... but after the first 90 seconds or so it descends into a weird experimental noise collage similar to something from Atom Heart Mother-era Pink Floyd. I'll pass on this one...

I must admit that this is the only so-called 'Krautrock' record I've ever been able to REALLY get into, so i'm no expert on that scene... all i know is that I love this album and i consider it a flawed masterpiece. 4*
    " (progarchives)

Wolf City

AMON DUUL II - Sleepwalkers - Wolf City - KRAUTROCK 1972
    Live 1973
    Amon Düül II - Surrounded By The Stars

Amon Duul II - Green Bubble Raincoated Man. WAV vinyl rip

Race from Here to Your Ears (Live)

(translation)
    Live in London [SHM-CD] / Amon Duul II
    "The live album of Amon Duul II became SHM-CD for the first time! In December of 72 ADII heyday, it was the first live album to record the performances in London. It is WOLF CITY members at the time of recording, but playing the previous song. You can listen to powerful performances by Daniel Fischershire and Peter Leopold's twin drums. Original cover - art paper jacket, first SHM-CD conversion, latest remastering decision!"

Review
    "3* Amon Duul II blast off here with Renate Kanup in full form with her witchy vocals on a prodigal rendition of Archangel`s Thunderbird from the Yeti LP where roughly 50% of the material is taken. Followed by a kalaedescopic barrage of more witchy vocals, scorching guitars, screaming violins and sonic contortions that doesn`t let up until the smoke clears at the conclusion of this searing London set with a rendition of From Here To Your Ears from Tanz Der Lemminge where roughly the other 50% eminates from, it`s more than evident that Amon Duul II are not finished with the psychedelic sixties yet (titles such as Dehypnotized Toothpaste and A Short Stop At The Transyvanian Brain Surgery are good indicators of this theory!).

Not many connoissuers of their previous studio albums will have any difficulty grooving to the incessant amps turned to eleven freaking out here except for the fact that maybe 42 minutes is not enough considering 2 of their 5 studio albums up to that time were double LPs. Despite the intensity, they reproduce the studio material remarkably well with an improvisational attitude. It must also be remembered that 1973 was a sort of transitional period for Amon Duul II at a time when they were revamping their sound which would discard much of the free form spontnaeity and puissance which characterized their music up to that stage in favour of more structured compositions and arrangements. While foreshadowing of this shift within Amon Duul`s creative collective can be detected here, the galvanizing force of the performance will nonetheless definitely give Kozmische Musik purists something to rave about. Those who prefer the lucidity of Amon Duul`s Vive La Trance LP onwards might want to throw in the towel after the first three more conventional tracks, Archangel`s Thunderbird, Eye Shaking King and Soap Shop Rock here because that`s when the real tripping out kicks in with a short improv that`s followed by all the things that could show up unexectedly during a bad LSD trip.

Amon Duul II delivers all the goods here if you`re into the early phase of their career and it`s just about as dark as they would get before moving on in a more orthodox direction. Play loud for full scare effect." (progarchives)

Amon Düül II - Archangels Thunderbird (Live in London 1973)

Archangels Thunderbird (Live)

Race from Here to Your Ears (Live)

2009 release:

[​IMG]

New Promo box:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
  12. toilet_doctor

Hey, Elton John fans, what about Billy Joel in Hi-Res sound?

Sony getting more and more serious about their 7" Mini LP Hybrid SACD Deluxe Ed. series:

Oct. 17. 2018

Billy Joel 52nd Street (40th Anniversary Ed.)

"40th anniversary edition of "52nd Street" from Billy Joel features SACD Hybrid format with 5.1ch surround on SACD layer. 2ch voice track features 2011 digital remastering by Ted Jensen. Packed in a 7-inch cardboard sleeve packaging. Comes with a pamphlet replicating the one made for 1979 Japan tour, five bonus cover artworks replicating ones made for singles, and a memorabilia." [$40.17]

(translation)
    52nd Street 40th Anniversary Deluxe Edition [Limited Release] / Billy Joel
    "A deluxe edition to commemorate the 40th anniversary of Billy's masterpiece " 52nd Street" that his company's integrated production LP was released in March. SACD hybrid board of 7 inches paper jacket specification, SACD layer contains 5.1 ch surround sound. 2ch voice adopts 2011 digital remaster by Ted Jensen. In addition, 79 years 'NY 52nd Street' Japanese tour tour pamphlet Reprint replica and 4 donuts single jersey cut out from the album (total of 5 types) replica etc., full production limited valuable edition full of limited memorabilia."

Title track:

Billy Joel - Until The Night (Live From Long Island)

"In 1978, Billy Joel released his album 52nd Street, which won two Grammy Awards for 'Album of the Year' and 'Best Male Pop Vocal Performance'. Watch the official music video for 'Honesty', which broke the Top 40 of the US Billboard Hot 100 chart and was later covered by Beyoncé in 2008." (comment)
    Honesty (Official Video - 30,523,616 views)
    Billy Joel - Honesty (Official Video)

- in tribute -
    Billy Joel - Piano Man (from Live at Shea Stadium)

Billy Joel - Let It Be (from Live at Shea Stadium) ft. Paul McCartney

Last edited: Sep 17, 2018
    PhantomStranger, Mike McMann and art like this.
  13. toilet_doctor

2018 Elf Japan Mini LP Blu-spec CD

Review

If you are a fan of Classic Rock and Rainbow, and Dio is your thing, you may need this rare album to add to your collection.
    I said that a couple weeks ago... Now, I mean it, because I do, I added it to my collection.
    And I'm happy to report a really great packaging with booklet in English

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And excellent sound, bordering category the "Best": good dynamics, clarity, airiness, separation.
    The brightness of the trebles is almost unnoticeable, if any.
    If it would be a little punchier bass, it could sound fuller and jump even higher.

Recommended!

jeffreybh likes this.
  14. toilet_doctor

They did their own remastering under the license from Cherry Red. And it looks like a traditional 24-bit remastering, and then DSD conversion.
    Why? To build DSD files library.

[​IMG]

Musicisthebest and c-eling like this.
  15. toilet_doctor

P.S.

Elf Prentice Wood 3" Promo CD Single / Mini CD

"The 3-inch CD, which can play for up to 20 minutes, was introduced in a few major cities across North America earlier this year, but the big push will come this fall [1991]. By that time, Sony, Toshiba and a few other companies will be selling portable mini-CD players in stores throughout the country." (Al Fasoldt's technofile)

It actually has a Catalog Number printed on the back cover and on the CD itself: WBSPROMO-027.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The mini CD came and went. Some companies thought it would take off, but consumers didn't want a CD that couldn't play very long, even if it was small enough to fit in a shirt pocket.

I have some more Promo CD Singles, but to play them... Such a thought has never entered my mind.
    Now I gave it a try. To my wonder, this damn little thing was recognized by my player and played well, just like a reg. CD.

Lucca90 and longdist01 like this.
  16. toilet_doctor

Vivid Sound/WaSaBi Records presents first 5 albums of the British skiffle/jug rock band, Mungo Jerry.
    (It looks like they're going to reissue entire Cherry Red catalog with their own remastering).
    Because cdjapan has not yet announced this release, I had to translate some info directly from the label site:

Sep. 28, 2018

Mango Jerry Mungo Jerry + 4
    Mango Jerry Electronically Tested + 6
    Mango Jerry You Do not Have To Be In The Army + 4
    Mango Jerry Boot Power + 4
    Mango Jerry Long Legged Woman + 5

Overview
    "Japan five CD box that rounds up all of Mungo Jerry's recordings for the Dawn label between 1970-74." [Interesting to note: rather than to use albums' Artworks for Promo box design, DU used Artworks of the single:
    'CD Storage Box Present Campaign
    For customers who purchased Mango Jerry 5 CD at a mail order of our company and some CD shops, CD Storage box "In the Summer Time / Black War" box (not for sale) will be gifted as well. Please note that the campaign will end as soon as prizes are gone because of first-come, first served basis. If you wish, please purchase as soon as possible.' (WaSaBi Records)]

"CD one is the debut Mungo Jerry album which hit #13 in the UK. Now comes with four bonus cuts including the rare Italian only 45 'Santo Antonio Santo Francisco'.
    The second CD contains the Electronically Tested album which hit #14 in the UK charts back in 1970 and includes the world-wide #1 'In The Summertime' which sold over 30 million singles. Also included is the UK #1 'Baby Jump' whilst the #5 hit is amongst the bonus tracks, as is the previously non-CD USA version of 'Have A Whiff On Me'.
    The UK #13 hit single 'You Don't Have To Be In The Army' is the lead track on the band's third album which now comes with four bonus tracks including three rare album session out-takes.
    CD four is the legendary Boot Power album. The single versions of '46 And On' and 'Open Up' (UK #21) have been added as a bonus.
    The fifth CD is the Long Legged Woman album which was more a collection of non-LP singles and B-sides than a proper album. Includes the UK hits 'Long Legged Woman Dressed In Black' (#13) and 'Alright Alright Alright' (UK #3) as well as the German hit single 'Wild Love'."

[​IMG]

(translation)
    "Mango Jerry" [Blu-spec CD] "Mungo Jerry"
    <WSBAC - 0089> "Tax exclusion price: 3,000 yen [$26.]
    First album Mango Jerry released in 1970. Collect the topic with its own musicality incorporating elements of ski / jug / band consisting of instruments such as acoustic guitar, banjo, wood bass and harp kazoo. High sound quality "Blu-spec CD" adopted. A paper jacket specification based on British record LP. Enclosed 3D glasses. Four bonus tracks included. DSD mastering. 2018 24 bit remaster."
    You can listen

Johnny B. Badde
    Tramp (from the first album)
    Mungo Jerry - B6. Tramp (1970, USA)

[​IMG]

"Electronically Tested" [Name was borrowed from the UK condom box]
    <WSBAC - 0090>
    "Second album (released in 1971) released after the single "In the Summer Time" "Baby Jump" hit. Was conscious of the hit, one piece that challenged more pop direction, suppressed roulette-like essence of the previous work. High sound quality "Blu-spec CD" adopted. A paper jacket specification based on British record LP. 6 bonus tracks included. With Japanese commentary. DSD mastering. 2018 24 bit remaster."
    You can listen

In The Summertime

Baby Jump

1 min version of Live at Ragnarock
    Mungo Jerry - Baby Jump Live at Ragnarock

Mungo's Blues (Live 1970)
    Mungo Jerry - Mungo's Blues

In Summertime (Live 1970)
    Mungo Jerry - Summertime

[​IMG]

"You Do Not Have To Be In The Army"
    <WSBAC-0091>
    "The third album released in 1971, when Ray Dorset's pop line returned to the front from the previous work that changed all the way, returning to the skiffful route of the first album. In January 1972 after the release of this work, the group fulfilled the long-awaited arrival in Japan. High sound quality "Blu-spec CD" adopted. A paper jacket specification based on British record LP. Original and insert included. Four bonus tracks included. DSD mastering. 2018 24 bit remaster."
    You can listen

You Do not Have To Be In The Army

Ella Speed (from You Don't Have To Be In The Army, 1971)
    Mungo Jerry Ella Speed.wmv

[​IMG]

"Boot Power"
    <WSBAC - 0092>
    "Original members Paul King and Colin Earl leave. The 4th piece released in 1972 by a group reorganized as a leader Ray Dorset's one-man band. By adding a drummer, it changed to an upbeat sound in electric. High sound quality "Blu-spec CD" adopted. A paper jacket specification based on British record LP. Four bonus tracks included. DSD mastering. 2018 24 bit remaster."
    You can listen

Open Up

Reviews (previous 2003 Mini LP CD released by JVC w/K2HD 20-bit mastering)

"Mungo Jerry" is not a one-hit wonder: it shows the ignorance of self-proclaimed musicologists and/or critics. The brilliance of the music cannot be measured by statistics only. Cheeseburger or BigMac might be also the most consumed fastfood in the world, but it doesn't mean that it tastes best.
    "Boot Power" is the fourth album of British heavies "Mungo Jerry" (released in 1972, and preceeded by 3 superb albums - debut "Mungo Jerry", "Electronically Tested" and "You Don't Have to Be in the Army". Ray Dorset again came with a string of excellent songs ("Lady Rose", "Dusty Road", "Open Up") ranging from foot-stomping music to hard rock.
    Former members Colin Earl (piano) and Paul King (guitars, harp, banjo) were replaced by Tim Reeves and John Pope.
    To me it's just another fireball of concentrated raw energy and honest to God rock.
    Worth every cent.
    Re-issued in Japan as a mini-LP (as shown on the image) in comes with a leaflet in Japanese (very handy) and lyrics - in English
    "

"May not have a lot of hits but all of the songs are good. It's a very solid album. I'm surprised there's no reissue. Japan edition here is a nice package with sturdy fold-out 'mini-LP'cover and great sound (20-bit mastering)."

Open Up (great video)
    Mungo Jerry - Open Up ( Rare Original Studio Recording Video 1972 )

46 & On
    Mungo Jerry 46 & On

The Demon
    Demon

Lady Rose (remaster)
    Mungo Jerry - Lady Rose - ( Alta Calidad ) HD

[​IMG]

"Long Legged Woman"
    "<WSBAC-0093>
    This is the 5th piece released in 1974, including the single "Alright Alright Alright" that won the best 3 after a long absence. Former Savoy Brown's Dave Bidwell and former Love Affair Johnny Cook etc. were newly added and made as a group of five. High sound quality "Blu-spec CD" adopted. A paper jacket specification based on British record LP. 5 bonus tracks included. DSD mastering. 2018 24 bit remaster."
    You can listen

Alright, Alright, Alright

Gonna Bop Til I Drop
    Ray Dorset (Mungo Jerry) - Gonna bop til I drop

Ray Dorset wrote and played many songs in different styles, but most of all he liked the Blues.
    Later, he assembled a group he called Mungo Jerry Blues Band (still active):

Wind is Blowing
    Mungo Jerry Blues Band " The Wind Is Blowing "

I Had a Bird
    Mungo Jerry Blues Band " I Had A Bird "

Knocking On Heavens Door
    Mungo Jerry " Knocking On Heavens Door "

Last edited: Sep 18, 2018
  17. Boaz

Boaz Forum Resident

Hello,
    Can anyone comment on the quality of the “Adonis” remaster? Because many claimed that the “Tempus Fugit” version is loud and compress,m. I’m worried because the SHM has the same bonus tracks amps the “Tempus” version...

18. toilet_doctor

I decided to add it to my Sept. order. I'll comment on the sound early next month.

P.S.
    My Sept. order:

(Mini LP SHM-CD)
    Pulsar Halloween
    Anyone's Daughter Adonis
    Ike & Tina Turner The Hunter
    Ike & Tina Turner Her Man...His Woman

(Jewel case CD)
    Blues Legends. Buddy Guy Bring 'Em In
    Blues Legends. Buddy Guy Live! The Real Deal

Sep. 26, 2018
    (Mini LP CD)
    Deep Purple The Infinite Live Recordings Vol.1 (2CD)

- special order -

(Big Pink Mini LP CD)
    VSCD-5795 The Ansley Dunbar Retaliation Doctor Dunbar's Prescription
    VSCD-5788 Sweet Pain Sweet Pain

Shipping (Registered Airmail) shouldn't exceed $2.50 per disc.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
  19. Boaz

Boaz Forum Resident

On the discription It says Adonis uses “latest remaster” not new remaster, so judging by the same bonus tracks it doesn’t look very promising.

20. toilet_doctor

We don't have to doubt anymore...
    Japanese dealer confirmed:

Description:
    Label : BELLE ANTIQUE
    Catalog Number : BELLE-182960
    Release Date : JUL.25 , 2018
    2018 REMASTER
    MINIATURE LP STYLE PAPER SLEEVE

Boaz likes this.
  21. Groggy

Groggy Forum Resident

Where do I head to, to purchase these Bolan items, and also browse a list of what other artists are available?

22. toilet_doctor

Most commonly people buy them here:

You Scare Me To Death [Cardboard Sleeve (mini LP)] [Blu-spec CD] Marc Bolan CD Album

or on eBay from Japanese dealers. They are all who sell them for the retail price + fee, currently out of stock.

Here is the list of Marc Bolan Japanese releases (many are out of print):
    CDJapan : Marc Bolan Albums, Blu-rays, DVDs, Books, Magazines, and Discography

T.Rex releases:
    http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/person/700211176?opt.include_eoa=1&page=1

Other artists you can check by putting their name into the search on this site.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2018
    Groggy likes this.
  23. Groggy

Groggy Forum Resident

Cheers, thanks Doc...

24. toilet_doctor

Concentrate on new releases with a new remastering.
    Always check release date and some mastering info.
    Don't buy anything released before 2008-9.
    Please don't hesitate to ask more questions.

Groggy likes this.
  25. toilet_doctor

- not supposed to be missed -

Just added one more Japan Mini LP HQCD to my order:
    Back Street Crawler The Band Plays On released by Vivid/WOWOW with Victor/JVC in 2014.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Somehow I missed it although I have their second album called 'Second Street' with a very good sound.

[​IMG]

Miraculously, it is still available for a retail price because of the confusion of Paul Kosoff's solo album 'Back Street Crawler' with the Kossoff's band of the same name.

"In 1973, when Free disbanded, their guitarist Paul Kossoff returned to the studio to complete a solo album which was titled Back Street Crawler. He was heavily into a drug dependency at the time and it wasn’t until early 1975 that he cleaned up and returned to form a group of the same name. The original lineup featured Terry Wilson-Slessor (formerly of progressive rock band Beckett) on vocals. The keyboard player Mike Montgomery, bassist Terry Wilson, and drummer Tony Braunagel had worked together previously in the band Bloontz.

This lineup recorded The Band Plays On, prior to Kossoff's death from a heart attack while on a flight to New York in March 1976. A follow-up album, 2nd Street which featured sessions with Paul recorded in Los Angeles was released in early 1976. Before recording began for this album, Montgomery departed and was replaced by John "Rabbit" Bundrick (who had previously played with Paul in Free and also filled in with Free during their tour of Japan in 1972)
    ."

(translation)
    The Band Plays On [HQCD] / Back Street Crawler
    "A back Street Crawler's debut work formed by Paul Kozoff after FREE dissolution, a guitarist who carved the name in the history of British rock, finally released as paper jacketed + HQCD format! A backstreet crawler's debut work formed by Paul Kozoff after FREE dissolution, a name guitarist who carved the name in the history of British rock, finally released as paper jacketed + HQCD format! It has been made into a paper jacket in the past although sold out. The work after reforming the band named by Kozoff after his solo album Back Street Crawler is converted into a paper jacket.
    The debut work "Back Street Crawler" announced in 1975 is a work that appointed vocal, a familiar for the English rock mania, Terry Wilson, laid out a more funky rock-style work.
    Rather than putting Paul Kozoff in the front, rather than striking a band / ensemble from the style that emphasized the Free band ensemble, at the time it did not lead to the support of the fans who expected the return of FREE, and it did not lead to great success. But 2014, as of now, this funky, British, hard rock sounds attractive, it is an excellent piece.
    E-style single sleeve which reproduced the jacket of the British release board as well as the rolled band at the time of Japan release Reproduction! Both works have been converted to CD overseas, but adopted HQCD format in this release." [$24.87]

Review
    "I always had a special place in my hard-rockin’ heart for Back Street Crawler, a band with such promise, such talent, such passion…and such rotten, rotten luck.

Created out of the instinct and drive to continue onward after the demise of the band Free, guitarist (and tragic soul) Paul Kossoff fought to kick his nasty drug habit and return to the rock ‘n’ roll world, going back into the studio to complete a side project he’d started in better—ie. more lucid—days. Thankfully, he soon joined with some skillful musicians who shared his vision, and the group Back Street Crawler burst onto the scene with a rollicking album of mostly blues-based/slightly funk-based Hard Rock that occasionally shared much of the same vibe, style, and attitude as Free and, ultimately, Bad Company.

Happily, Paul’s recognizable guitar tones, riffs, and solos steered the band’s direction, and BSC offered up material that seemed to guarantee a bright future. Tracks such as the rockin' title tune, "Stealing My Way," "Rock & Roll Junkie," "All The Girls are Crazy," "Train Song," and "Survivor," along with the laid-back "It's A Long Way Down To The Top" and "Jason Blue," plus the funkified yet Free-ish opener "Hoo Doo Woman," all display Kossoff's underestimated brilliance, not to mention the admirable chops of his fellow band members, and made for a pleasurable collection.

But the damned drugs once again crept onto the scene to blacken the rosy picture for Paul, and after releasing another enjoyable album with the band the following year, he shockingly passed away at the young age of 26. The remainder of the group members, not letting the tragedy completely destroy them, soon recruited a new guitarist and continued on with the shortened name of Crawler, releasing two funkier albums in the subsequent years.

Regardless, since The Band Plays On displays Kossoff’s six-string talent, it's a “must-have” album for all fans of blues-inspired Hard Rock.
    "

It's A Long Way Down To The Top
    Back Street Crawler - It's A Long Way Down To The Top [1975] [HQ]

Jason Blue
    Back Street Crawler - Jason Blue - The Band Plays On

Title track (live)
    Paul kossoff - The Band Plays On

Hoo Doo Woman
    Back Street Crawler - Hoo Doo Woman - The Band Plays On

All The Girls Are Crazy

Second Street [HQCD] / Back Street Crawler
    "Although Paul Kozoff's last band's last work has been forgotten for a long time, it decided on a paper jacket! The following year of debut work, 2nd album announced in 1976. Keyboard replaced from Mike Montgomery to FREE era ally, Rabbit. This work, which was under construction, became his remains because Paul Kozoff died on 19th March 1976 in a moving aircraft due to a heart attack. Because it was a sudden death in the middle of album production, it is said that STRAYDOG's guitarist, Snaffi Walden recorded a lack of part although it was not partially credited. The tight impression is stronger than the debut work, and many fans prefer this work.
    E-style single sleeve which reproduced the jacket of the British release board as well as the rolled band at the time of Japan release Reproduction! Both works have been converted to CD overseas, but adopted HQCD format in this release."

Leaves In The Wind
    (I was 17 when this track sent shivers down my spine! I am 53 today and nothing has changed! Brilliant band! RIP KOSS!) comment
    Paul Kossoff - Leaves In The Wind

Blue Soul
    Back Street Crawler - Blue Soul - 2nd Street

Some Kind Of Happy
    Back Street Crawler - Some Kind Of Happy - 2nd Street

Stop Doing What You're Doing
    Back Street Crawler - Stop Doing What You're Doing - 2nd Street

Is 'Second Street' stronger than 'Band Plays On'? If yes, then only because it is a more even album.

If you are a Classic Rock lover, and the band Free means something to you, these two Back Street Crawler albums will be a very valuable addition to your collection as well as Bad Co albums.

Just for you, Paul...

Last edited: Sep 27, 2018