Japan Mini LP SHM-CDs - New Releases, George Harrison and more

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by toilet_doctor, Jan 19, 2017.

1. toilet_doctor

toilet_doctor "Rockin' chair's got me" Thread Starter

- update -

Two Universal releases were postponed.
    New release dates:

Oct. 10, 2018

Ike & Tina Turner River Deep - Mountain High
    Ike & Tina Turner In Person (Live)
    Ike & Tina Turner The Hunter
    Ike & Tina Turner Her Man...His Woman
    Ike & Tina Turner Come Together
    Ike & Tina Turner Workin' Together
    Ike & Tina Turner Nuff Said
    Ike & Tina Turner Live In Paris
    Ike & Tina Turner What You Hear Is What You Get - Live At Carnegie Hall
    Ike & Tina Turner Let Me Touch Your Mind

(for complete info see post #522, page 24)

Nov. 07, 2018

Elton John Empty Sky
    Elton John S/T
    Elton John Tumbleweed Connection
    Elton John Madman Across The Water
    Elton John Honky Chateau
    Elton John Don't Shoot Me I'm Only The Piano Player
    Elton John Goodbye Yellow Brick Road
    Elton John Caribou
    Elton John Greatest Hits
    Elton John Captain Fantastic And The Brown Dirt Cowboy
    Elton John Rock Of The Westies
    Elton John Blue Moves
    (2CD)
    Elton John Greatest Hits Volume 2

(2018 remastering from original UK master tape, but no bonus tracks;
    for complete info see post #407, 417-420, page 17)

PhantomStranger and Oyster Boy like this.
  2. toilet_doctor

New 2018 Uriah Heep album appeared unexpectedly as Mini LP release in Japan (by Victor/JVC) although they did not mention that:

Aug. 29, 2018

Uriah Heep Living The Dream + 2

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

"Uriah Heep are releasing their anticipated brand new studio album - the 25th in their storied career - which will be titled, appropriately enough, Living The Dream. "We have been together for 47 years and we have seen many bands come and go, so in effect we are Still Living The Dream, so it was the perfect title for the new album, says Uriah Heep guitarist and founding member Mick Box. Famed Canadian engineer, Jay Ruston has been called in to produce the album. Mick continues: We chose Jay because we admire his work with The Winery Dogs, Stone Sour, Black Star Riders, Paul Gilbert, and Europe. Jay has either produced, mixed or both for these bands, and he brought a fresh approach to Heep. He has been marvelous to work with." The band is beyond excited with the material written for the new album, which will include some epic additions to the band s huge catalog of rock staples and looks forward to sharing it with their fans around the world. Uriah Heep debuted in 1970 with the release of one of hard rock's milestones, Very 'eavy... Very 'umble, and have since sold in excess of 30 million albums worldwide. They constantly tour the world, playing up to 125 shows a year to 500,000+ fans."

Review
    "CLASSIC HEEP SOUND 5*
    what the product information does not state is this is a CARDBOARD MINI LP STYLE SLEEVE and what more can i say? if you like all 4 new studio albums uriah heep have done since resuming making new heep music again in 2008 after a 10 year break with wake the sleeper back in 2008, then YOU WILL LOVE THIS DISC!!! the mastering is fantastic, i can't be certain but old heep fans and new heep fans will love this new disc... it's classic heep"
    (2018/09/12 Ed US)

To me, it's more like AOR album with Classic Heep Hard Rock elements:

Uriah Heep - "Grazed By Heaven" (Official Music Video)

Uriah Heep - "Take Away My Soul" (Official Music Video)

URIAH HEEP - FALLING UNDER YOUR SPELL

It has its moments, thou:
    Title track
    Living the Dream

Waters Flowin'

Cannot help, but admit: excellent Bernie Shaw vocal, great musicianship and energy of old days, but
    I was looking for a good ballad like this:

Dok likes this.
  3. Musicisthebest

Musicisthebest Exiled Yorkshireman

According to this thread Bitches Brew in Multichannel* which I've only just found this latest Bitches Brew SACD contains the original mix, not the remix as I'd assumed. I've not purchased this latest SACD so I'm relying on other's comments regarding this.

toilet_doctor likes this.
  4. bherbert

bherbert Forum Resident

Anybody heard the 2017 remasters of the B-52’s cd’s?

5. toilet_doctor

Uni released the latest U2 album in SHM Mini LP, which is worth a try.

Dec. 05, 2018

U2 Songs of Experience

"Japanese exclusive release. "Songs Of Experience" from U2 becomes available as cardboard sleeve artwork x SHM-CD format for the first time in the world. Includes a Japan only bonus track. Comes with lyrics and a description." [$23.78]

(translation)
    "Songs of Experience [SHM-CD] [Complete production limited edition] / U2
    To celebrate the first anniversary, release the latest song "Song of Experience" on the world's first paper jacket & high quality SHM-CD! U2's studio album released in September 2017, ultra-long-awaited 13 pieces studio album of U2 will be released for the first time! "Songs of Experience" is the 14th studio album released in 2017. U2 became the eighth national album which won first place in the United States. Japan limited release. Commentary / With lyrics. Only Japanese version bonus track included 1 song"

6. CDJapan's unboxing video for Ike & Tina Turner's new SHM-CD.

7. toilet_doctor

Tina Turner Complete set:

[​IMG]

8. toilet_doctor

Only I can do, to post the pictures of their nice box set:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

hifisoup and bherbert like this.
  9. bherbert

bherbert Forum Resident

I ordered the debut album and Wild Planet from Cd Japan today. When it arrives I’ll give feedback on the sound and mastering.

10. Time Is On My Side

Time Is On My Side Forum Resident

How is the mastering on these?

bherbert likes this.
  11. bherbert

bherbert Forum Resident

I’ve read on different forums that the mastering is very good. So I took the plunge and ordered the first 2. I’ll give solid feedback when they arrive :)

12. mcd4959

mcd4959 Head in the Clouds

Have the Elton SHMs been cancelled? I just notice that my long standing order with Import CDs has been cancelled...anyone know?

13. Mike McMann

Mike McMann Forum Resident

I see it is still listed at CD Japan with a release date of November 7th although that date has changed a few times.
    Hopefully still on.

Crimson Witch and toilet_doctor like this.
  14. Musicisthebest

Still listed at Amazon Japan with a release date of Nov 7th as well.

15. mcd4959

Thanks guys...I wonder if Import CDs has a system limit on how long an order stays open.. It was weird - they sent me 13 separate emails despite the order being for the whole lot. I'll keep my eyes open...really was looking forward to these based on the care seeming to be taken with them, and the fabulous music of course!

16. Mike McMann

Wow, good for you to grab them all. Yes the 2018 mastering is a hook. I've been holding off after the first date change. I'll slowly work through them all starting with Blue Moves should the 7th come true.

17. mcd4959

Well, I pre-ordered them months ago...and I was feeling flush with $$$ at the time...but that was before all the new Box sets that are coming out...Kate Bush, Beatles, McCartney, so many others...these are killing my budget!

Still, it's Elton...classic Elton...so...dammit!! MUST HAVE :cool:

Oyster Boy likes this.
  18. Oyster Boy

Oyster Boy Forum Resident

Due to the McCartney (ltd), WA50 (ltd) and Kate Bush boxes , if these Elton John's appear I won't be purchasing until the new year, so I need to hold my nerve. Still it will give me chance to read the mastering reviews. Not sure how limited they will be, but I managed to get the Beatles SHMs (absolutely excellent BTW) from last December in July this year so heres hoping, although I know in the Beatles case they had been released a couple of times before in recent years.

19. Mike McMann

I wrote a note along to CD Japan regarding the Elton John releases.
    Here is there reply.

Hi

Thank you for your e-mail.

We looked into it.

Since the label announced to change the release date from October to November 7, they haven't changed any information.

Therefore, they will on schedule on Nov 7 at this moment.

Should you require any other assistance, please feel free to contact us again.

Best Regards,
    Yukari Hashimoto
    www.cdjapan.co.jp
    ---------------------------------

20. toilet_doctor

The very first print of The Beatles Japan non-SHM Mini LP release of the new remaster came on 09-09-09 (called the "09-09-09" release) and disappeared within 2 months.
    However, Elton is not The Beatles. I think you are on a safe side despite the holiday season.

Oyster Boy likes this.
  21. hifisoup

hifisoup @hearmoremusic on Instagram

Interesting comment re: Elton and the Beatles. In terms of sales and career length it could be argued that Elton has been more successful than the Beatles.

mcd4959, Oyster Boy and toilet_doctor like this.
  22. Musicisthebest

A dangerous thing to say on this forum:D

Seriously, I suspect the Beatles have a far greater audiophile following which is what toilet_doctor's referring to.

23. toilet_doctor

People count that everyone should have The Beatles at home. Just for kids to learn a good music example.
    For many Mini LPs are the nostalgia of the old good times and the Beatles is right at the point.

There are a lot of factors affected sales, but the major I think: Beatles was first (and still is) 24-bit remaster.

By the request, I commented on '09 release:

(from the Platinum thread)
    Beatles in Japan Mini LP is very time sensitive stuff. I remember on the date 09-09-09, when the first release just came, I received complete black Stereo box from Japan. (I don't remember exactly, but it was over 500 bucks). However, I have not yet opened it, waiting for reviews. Then I learned from the Beatles-crazy guys that some early albums sound in mono better than in primitive stereo. So I sold my box and started hunting for those mono albums, and mono (unlike stereo albums) were not available separately, but in Mono box set only.

So you could buy them only from those guys, who have "broke" the Mono box. When I was done with this, the Stereo albums went already OOP. Latter I sold those Mono albums as well in a wake of a new SHM release. Since Universal now is the Copyright holder, we can count on SACD release. But it took them 5 years to upgrade to SHM. How long it will take for them to go Hi-Res, nobody can tell, as they don't know that themselves.

To be on a safe side, I bought only my favorites: Sg. Peppers, White album, Abby Road and Let It Be.
    (What I know for sure that SHM Mini LP Magical Mystery Tour already went OOP).

How they sound?
    It took them one year to do remaster, they had time to do it right and they did it.
    I just tried my all time favorite Rock album Abby Road and also Sgt. Peppers.
    My first impression:
    Bottom end and mid are excellent. Unfortunately, trebles are not as clean on some places. Not so bad, thou. You still can recognize cymbals, as they are, but could be better. Not so much, really, but could be a bit better.
    Result was vary from track to track upon the instruments involved. Sitar, for instance, was great sounding. Vocal was very good on all tracks, I tried. Guitars were nice, not metallic. Bass was fast.

[I maybe was too picky, but I said:]
    Overall, sound is - 4.5 stars.

Oyster Boy likes this.
  24. hifisoup

hifisoup @hearmoremusic on Instagram

Your second comment is probably true.
    Your first comment is certainly true!
    :D

toilet_doctor and Musicisthebest like this.
  25. Oyster Boy

Oyster Boy Forum Resident

Now showing as December 19th on CDJapan.