Japan Mini LP SHM-CDs - New Releases, George Harrison and more

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by toilet_doctor, Jan 19, 2017.

1. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

Will be interesting to hear how the new 2018 UK remaster of Elton John Greatest Hits on SHM CD compares to the superb DCC Gold.

2. Mike McMann

Mike McMann Forum Resident

Unreal, can you believe that. I put three in my cart last night and it was Nov. 7th.
    Going to pull those and move onto something in stock.

toilet_doctor and Oyster Boy like this.
  3. toilet_doctor

toilet_doctor "Rockin' chair's got me" Thread Starter

We will not kill you, just tell honestly how did you do it?

Oyster Boy likes this.
  4. Oyster Boy

Oyster Boy Forum Resident

I gave them a 'Hard Luck Story' :)

toilet_doctor likes this.
  5. mcd4959

mcd4959 Head in the Clouds

And I just reordered them from CD Japan on Wednesday night. Maybe it's me...

Thanks for the update.

toilet_doctor and Oyster Boy like this.
  6. Boaz

Boaz Forum Resident

Hello,
    Three questions please...
    1. How is the sound quality on this shm reissues?
    2. Do they come with gatefold covers and sleeves notes?
    3. I saw Esoteric had box with 3 or 4 CDs of these albums, so still wondering which should I get...

Crimson Witch and toilet_doctor like this.
  7. toilet_doctor

Esoteric and Belle releases are the same new remaster with the same content, and were simultaneously released on May 25, 2018
    Japanese include insert with lyric additionally to the same booklet as Esoteric has.
    All 3 Japan CD are gorgeous Gate-fold covers.

Esoteric, however, included DVD with 5.1 mixes, and this push them to release 1st album separately. So you have to buy 2 Esoteric boxes and pay more:
    "This definitive of The Geese and the Ghost has been newly re-mastered from the original master tapes by Simon Heyworth and includes a stunning new 5.1 Surround Sound mix of the album by Andy Myles and Simon Heyworth, along with a CD of demos and early versions of the tracks on Geese. The bonus tracks are completed with the addition of both sides of an abortive single from 1973, Silver Song and Only Your Love (previously unreleased). Both tracks feature Phil Collins as vocalist. This 3 disc clamshell box edition includes a lavishly illustrated booklet with new essay by Jonathan Dann and fully restores the original UK artworks."

I would stick with Japanese SHM Limited printing.
    They are highly collectible items. Prices for previous Mini LP CD were very high.
    Right now we have the lowest price for the double album ever - $35.33.

[​IMG]

I don't have them to comment on SQ, but you can listen to sound samplers:
    CDJapan : The Geese And The Ghost [Cardboard Sleeve (mini LP)] [SHM-CD+CD] Tracklisting

There is Japanese box set on eBay, but you can catch empty box on eBay for about $40 later like this one:
    (see next post)

Last edited: Oct 31, 2018
    Crimson Witch and Boaz like this.
  8. toilet_doctor

Last edited: Oct 31, 2018
    Oyster Boy likes this.
  9. toilet_doctor

Vivid Sound October release. Was Aternative Rock started in 90's?

Oct. 24, 2018

Fabulous Poodles S/T + 1
    Fabulous Poodles Unsuitable + 2
    Fabulous Poodles Think Pink + 1

"Cardboard sleeve reissue from Fabulous Poodles features Blu-spec CD format and DSD mastering, using 24bit remaster in 2018. The mini LP faithfully replicates its UK LP design. Comes with a description written in Japanese." [$26.59]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fabulous Poodles [Blu-spec CD] / Fabulous Poodles
    "Art-school band, Fabulous Poodles with sparks. Original album 3 titles released in 77-79 were made into a paper jacket specification based on the high-quality sound "Blu-spec CD", British record LP, and became Japan's first CD. Full record as that "UK New Wave's Pioneer"! This work is the first album released in 1977 by The Who's John Entwistle Producer. With Japanese commentary. 2018 24 bit remaster. DSD mastering. Includes 1 bonus track."

Unsuitable [Blu-spec CD] / Fabulous Poodles
    "This work is second released in 1978. Muff Winwood, who is known for working on albums of modern pop bands such as Chicks and Milk & Cookies, produces six songs. Hypnosis is in charge of the artwork of the jacket. Original inner bag enclosed. 2 bonus tracks included."

Think Pink [Blu-spec CD] / Fabulous Poodles
    "This work is the final work of the group as a third album released in 79 years after transferring from the head family pie to the label affiliated with Blue Print. Continue to produce Muff Winwood. After the group is dissolved, members Bobby Valentino become popular as session musicians. Original inner bag enclosed. Includes 1 bonus track."

"Fabulous Poodles (formerly The Poodles) formed in 1975 and were well known for not only their humorous numbers, but also for their eccentric stage antics, which often included shenanigans such as exploding ukuleles. Originally consisting of lead vocalist and guitarist Tony de Meur (subsequently of the comedy shows The Comic Strip and The Young Ones), bassist Richie Robertson, violin and mandolin player Bobby Valentino (later to be co-writer of the #1 hit single 'Young at Heart' by The Bluebells) and drummer Bryn Burrows, Fabulous Poodles were featured on the Old Grey Whistle Test and also toured with the likes of Tom Petty, Meat Loaf, The Ramones, Sha Na Na, Bill Bruford, and as Chuck Berry's backing band. Includes all three of the band's original albums, Fabulous Poodles (1977), Unsuitable (1978) and Think Pink (1979). Studio recordings produced by John Entwistle of The Who and Muff Winwood of the Spencer Davis Group."

The Fabulous Poodles - Chicago Boxcar (boston back).wmv

Fabulous Poodles - Oh Cheryl

Fabulous Poodles - Man With Money

FABULOUS POODLES - stomping on the cat

Fabulous Poodles-Bionic Man

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  10. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Dennis Metz and toilet_doctor like this.
  11. toilet_doctor

Uni's second contribution to 7" Mini LP Hybrid SACD series:

Nov. 16, 2018

The Rolling Stones Beggars Banquet (2SACD + Sonosheet; 50th Anniversary Ed.)

"The Rolling Stones "Beggars Banquet" 50th anniversary edition is a Japanese original edition with 7 inch cardboard sleeve, 2 SACD hybrid discs, and a sonosheet. SACD hybrid disc 1 features the album newly remastered by Bob Ludwig. Disc 2 features "Sympathy For The Devil" in mono ver. and rare sonosheet which is faithfully replicated based on the sonosheet originally included with its Japanese LP, named Hello! Mick Jagger desu" 1968 Nen 4 Gatsu 17 Nichi London - Tokyo." It includes an interview with Mick by King Records through a telephone. Features the "toilet cover" (gatefold / etching processing). Slipcase packaging." [$39]
    [​IMG]
    Beggars Banquet (50th Anniversary Edition / 7 Inch Paper Jacket Spec) [Limited Release] / The Rolling Stones
    "After the era of pop ~ psychedelic, returning to the band's roots Blues and Rock'n'Roll. A masterpiece that became the starting point of "Stones Sound" which is also a synonym for rock, this year marking 50 years since the original release on December 6, 1968, set 2 SACD hybrids + sono sheet on a 7 inch paper jacket. SACD Hybrid's Disc 1 includes the main album Bob Ladwick remastered newly, Disc 2 has a greatly different stereo version of album of 'Mercy on the Devil' A monaural version and a rare sono sheet attached to the original Japanese version LP, "Hello! Mick Jagger" contains the sound source of "April 17, 1968 London - Tokyo". This was a Japanese publisher at that time King Records interviewed Mick Jagger in a telephone interview, you can listen to the unique interactions with plenty of astonishment. Furthermore, in addition to the sonosheet which reprinted "Hello! Mick Jagger" as it is, miniature reprint of the Japan first time M baseboard LP band and Japan's first singles version of "Jumpin Jack Flash" "Street Fighting Man" It also reproduces the jacket. At the time of the original LP release, a luxury specification added a simple original LP jacket slip case to the "graffiti of the toilet cover" jacket (spread), rejected by the record company. ● Interview, lyric."

PhantomStranger likes this.
  12. mestreech

mestreech Forum Resident

13. John D.

John D. Senior Member

I think he meant a warning for people to put their bid in, 5 hours left?

14. mestreech

mestreech Forum Resident

Ok, that I can understand. No harm done, thanks.

15. toilet_doctor

Previous Universal The Rolling Stone Their Satanic Majesties Request 7" Mini LP 2 SACD 50th Anniversary Special Ed. was released on Nov. 22, 2017 as a Japanese original edition.
    "Features the remastering (2017 stereo / 2016 mono) by Bob Ludwig. Packed in a special 7-inch-sized folded cover artwork, featuring 3D lenticular printing. An OBI faithfully replicates the one coming with the Japan first pressing LP. Includes two bonus cover artworks, each replicates Japan first pressing single ("She's A Rainbow," "The Lantern"). Comes with a 20-page color booklet, lyrics."

Nov. 22, 2017

The Rolling Stone Their Satanic Majesties Request (2 SACD 50th Anniversary Special Ed.)

It looks like this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. toilet_doctor

All 3 major labels take parts in this series.

7" Mini LP Hybrid SACD series
    (Complete list with the year of remastering)

March 26, 2014
    (Sony; 2014)
    Jeff Beck Blow By Blow (4.0)

Aug. 27, 2014
    (Warner; 2013; 2.0)
    Yes S/T
    Yes Time And A Word
    Yes The Yes Album
    Yes Fragile
    Yes Close To The Edge
    Yes Yessongs (Live)
    Yes Tales From Topographic Oceans
    Yes Relayer
    Yes Going For The One
    Yes Tormato
    Yes Drama
    Yes 90125
    Yes Big Generator

July 20, 2016
    (Sony; 2016)
    Jeff Beck, Tim Bogert, Carmine Appice S/T (5.1)

July 27, 2016
    (Sony; 2016)
    Jeff Beck Group S/T (5.1)

Nov. 02, 2016
    (Sony; 2016)
    Jeff Beck Wired (5.1)

Jan. 18, 2017
    (Sony; 2016)
    Jeff Beck Rough and Ready (5.1)

Apr. 19, 2017
    (Sony; 2017)
    Santana Lotus (3 SACD; 4.0; Complete Ed.)

Sep. 27, 2017
    (Sony; 1999)
    Carol King Tapestry (5.1)

Nov. 01, 2017
    (Sony; 2011)
    Simon & Garfunkel Bridge Over Troubled Water

Nov. 22, 2017
    (Universal 2018)
    The Rolling Stones Their Satanic Majesties Request (2 SACD; 50th Anniversary Ed.)

July 25, 2018
    (Sony; 2017)
    Air Play Romantic + 3

Aug. 8, 2018
    (Sony; 2018)
    Miles Davis Bitches Brew (2 SACD; 4.0)

Oct. 17. 2018
    (Sony; 2011)
    Billy Joel 52nd Street (40th Anniversary Ed.)

Nov. 16, 2018
    (Universal 2018)
    The Rolling Stones Beggars Banquet (2 SACD; 50th Anniversary Ed.)

Last edited: Nov 2, 2018
  17. toilet_doctor

Billy Joel 52nd Street 7" Mini LP Hybrid SACD (40th Anniversary Ed.)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. toilet_doctor

Air Play Romantic + 3 7" Mini LP Hybrid SACD

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. toilet_doctor

Santana Lotus (3 Hybrid SACD; 4.0; Complete Ed.)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7" Mini LP cover featured 11 double-sided panels:

[​IMG]

20. toilet_doctor

Carol King Tapestry 7" Mini LP 5.1 Hybrid SACD

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Shvartze Shabbos and Boaz like this.
  21. Claus

Claus Senior Member

By the way... Elf's Trying to Burn the Sun is the same mastering as Cherry Records.

22. toilet_doctor

Belle before and Vivid now use fresh/recent remaster when available, or make a new one (Japanese). Now they have taken one more step - to release the Japanese version on the same day, as the big labels often do. Speaking of which, I noted that the Japanese divisions of major labels are trying to release their version, even ahead of the world release. And major labels don't care - these are local limited editions.

23. Musicisthebest

Musicisthebest Exiled Yorkshireman

My money's on the DCC!

I've been comparing the SHM-SACD of Goodbye Yellow Brick Road with the original fatboy CD. Compared to the SACD the original lacks detail & bass but is incredibly enjoyable. I can sense the enthusiasm of Elton & his band. From a hi-fi viewpoint, the SHM-SACD seems to have it all, (clarity, detail, good EQ, great DR numbers) but doesn't thrill me in the same way. Reading the sleeve notes of the SHM-SACD (which are taken from the 1999 remastered CD) Gus Dudgeon states

"Due to the fact that many of the tapes are at least 25 years old, they have been "softened up" to varying degrees".

Perhaps it's this "softening" that is resulting in a "matter of fact" performance.

I hope I'm wrong, because if I'm right it means the forthcoming GBYBR SHM-CD release will have similar issues.

24. toilet_doctor

Add to this 20 years more...
    Problem is the tape condition. No wonder that there are so much delays.

25. The Goodbye Yellow Brick Road SHM-SACD sounds pretty great to my ears. Better than any redbook CDs I've heard for the album.