Japanese CD pressings of Aja: VDP-27 vs. 32XD-112 vs. MCAD-37214

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by KeithH, May 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now Thread Starter

Back about a year ago, I obtained a Japanese CD issue Steely Dan Aja with catalog number VDP-27. I found that it was different by EAC than all other early Japanese pressings that I and others had analyzed previously. That caused me to question whether the VDP-27 disc had the Steve Hoffman mastering. Details are provided here:

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=81552

Today, I compared three early Japanese pressings, including the VDP-27 disc. Rather than speculate which discs have which mastering, I will simply report my results. Here are the discs I compared:

* Catalog number VDP-27: First Japanese issue, released by MCA in conjunction with Victor Musical Industries

* Catalog number 32XD-112: Second Japanese issue, released by MCA in conjunction with Warner-Pioneer

* Catalog number MCAD-37214: First U.S. issue, pressed in Japan by CBS/Sony, disc has "CSR COMPACT DISC" repeating in the plastic ring, matrix code is "DIDX-55 21A1"

I compared the discs on the following gear:

* NAD C 370 integrated amp biamped with NAD C 270 power amp

* Totem Arro speakers

* Sony SCD-C333ES CD changer (good player, changer makes comparisons convenient)

First, here are the total times reported by the 'C333ES for the three discs:

* VDP-27: 39:44

* 32XD-112: 39:56

* MCAD-37214: 39:57

As noted previously, the VDP disc is clearly different by EAC, so one would expect it to have a unique mastering. It does.

I first loaded the changer with the VDP-27 and 32XD-112 discs. The idea was that I would compare the better of those two to the MCAD-37214 disc. I wanted to avoid switching between three discs, as that would make it very difficult to keep things straight. That can be hard enough when comparing two discs.

So, first was a shoot-out between the first two Japanese issues. The 32XD disc was the clear winner. On its own, the VDP disc is good. It's not offensive, but after hearing the 32XD disc, the VDP disc sounds closed in. Everything is between the speakers. The 32XD disc brings elements into the room. I have no idea as to the source tape used for the VDP disc, but something is amiss. It isn't fatiguing, but it's dull and boring compared to the 32XD disc. The 32XD disc breathes, to be cliche about the whole thing.

I then removed the VDP disc from the changer and loaded the MCAD-37214 disc alongside the 32XD disc. Here is where things got challenging. I spent a lot of time comparing these discs and kept concluding that the 32XD issue was just a bit better. It's not a step-change, mind you; it's subtle. Listening to the MCAD disc, I was pleased. It is clearly better than the VDP disc. It has excellent soundstaging and "thereness". However, I kept thinking that the 32XD disc gave just a bit more resolution, but only a bit. The MCAD disc sounded slightly flat when compared to the 32XD disc. For example, I thought there was better reverberation in the opening phrases of "Black Cow" on the 32XD disc, and the bass "bump-bump" at around 0:25 of "Black Cow" also had just a bit more oomph on this version.

So, here is how I would rank these three discs:

1. 32XD-112
    2. MCAD-37214, Japanese CBS/Sony pressing (a close 2nd)
    3. VDP-27 (a distant 3rd)

What does this all mean? The VDP disc is very, very rare in my experience. Aside from my copy, I have seen only one other available for purchase. Unless you are a die-hard Steely Dan fan who has to have everything ever issued, do not concern yourself with this disc. If you finally find it, you might end up frustrated with the sound anyway.

The 32XD disc is more common than the VDP issue but is still quite rare. I've only seen it come up on eBay once or twice a year in recent years. If you have the Japanese CBS/Sony pressing with catalog number MCAD-37214, I would not go to the ends of the earth to find the 32XD disc. The MCAD disc sounds very good.

If anyone has the Japanese CBS/Sony pressing with catalog number MCAD-37214 and the 32XD disc, I'd like to know how you rate them. Do you hear an improvement on the 32XD disc?

Before anyone asks, I have not compared any other MCAD-37214 pressings to the Japanese CBS/Sony pressing. I have the Japanese JVC pressing and an early U.S. DADC pressing, but I need a break for awhile.

Comments?

2. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member

I sold one for next to nothing because I was a bit stooopid and had found what I had believed to be Steve's mastering....(still do...)
    But I coulda got more than 10 bucks for it!

Oh well...I didn't like the mastering on it though...

3. KeithH

Which version did you sell? Please specify, as I mentioned three diffferent pressings above.

4. KeithH

Bump. Has anyone else done similar comparisons?

5. monewe

monewe Forum Resident

Interesting I may have to track that disc down.

I have 3 versions but not the 32X disc. One of the versions I have is a CRC- MCAD 37214 DIDY55 made in the USA disc where the main inner matrix has been crossed out, leaving a smaller matrix of CI-5650-1. However it has been etched on the label face, unusally

The other versions beingan MFSL and another MCAD37214 this time a DIDX55 made in Japan.

6. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I have a number of early Japan CD's of Steely Dan's Aja. However, the two that I know are definitely first stage (because they still have their obis) are as follows:

Red Sticky Obi 32XP-112
    Back Insert: DIDX 55 MCAD-37214 "MCA Records Inc., 70 Universal City, Calif . . . . "
    Right side of disc: MCAD-37214
    DIDX-55
    Right side of disc: "Manufactured in Japan for MCA Records Inc. . . . . ."
    Disc Inner Ring: clear plastic with "CSR Compact Disc" embossed
    Disc Matrix No.: "DIDX-55 21A6"
    No JASRAC mark (so not originally intended for distribution in Japan)
    Disc time (on my player): 39:57

Black Obi 32XD-112
    Back Insert: Same as above except "32XD-112" in the upper right.
    Right side of disc: 32XD-112
    (MCAD-37214)
    Right Side of disc: "Made by Warner-Pioneer Corporation Japan . . . "
    Disc Inner ring: clear plastic
    Disc Matrix No.: MCAD 37214- U7C24 (machine stamped)
    JASRAC mark on disc.
    Disc time (on my player): 39:58

That one second time difference notwithstanding, they have always sounded the same to me. I am willing to do an A/B (because I love this disc), but someone needs to tell me what to listen for and where.

7. taxman150

taxman150 Forum Resident

I have both of these issues as well and in comparing the two, the 32XP-112 version is even tougher to find than the 32XD-112 version as it is the CBS/Sony pressing and was presumably released slightly earlier than the 32XD version. I recently acquired the 32XP version and have not had time to do a detailed comparison of the two.

8. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member

VDP-27

9. KeithH

Thanks for the comments, everyone.

Of course, the 32XP disc is just the original CBS/Sony pressing for the U.S. market with an OBI strip and Japanese lyric sheet added. Note that the disc, booklet, and back insert only show the U.S. catalog number. I found a copy in the bins without the OBI strip a year or two ago and figured it was a standard U.S. issue. Then I noticed the lyric sheet in the booklet. Still, the disc is identical to my other CBS/Sony pressing without the lyric sheet and OBI strip.

The 32XD issue is unique at least in that the disc, booklet, and back insert show the 32XD catalog number. The disc also has "32XD-112" in the matrix code.

Technically speaking, the 32XD disc could be considered the third Japanese issue. I consider it the second because the 32XP issue is not really unique. The VDP and 32XD discs are the first two true Japanese issues.

10. KeithH

I understand. After comparing it to the 32XD and MCAD discs, I see where you are coming from. As a Steely Dan fan and collector, I will hang onto the VDP disc, but I won't be listening to it much.

11. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Alright. I'll complicate matters further. I have a third Aja, also bought in Japan. It has no obi strip, but it has a smooth-top case and the Japanese insert with 32XD/XP on it. I am assuming that it also had a 32XP obi at one time. The matrix number is completely different from the other 32XP that I have, and is similar to the matrix code for the 32XD that I have. To summarize:

32XD (obi) - MCAD-37214-U7C24 39:58
    32XP (obi) - DIDX-55 21A6 39:57
    32XP (?) - MCAD 37214 M2E13 39:58

Recheck your 32XD -- Is it actually in the matrix code, or just printed on the disc?

12. KeithH

Interesting. Your 32XD disc with the OBI strip is just the Japan-for-U.S. disc pressed at the JVC plant. I would not expect to see that disc with the 32XD inserts. 32XP, maybe. 32XD, no.

My 32XD disc is unique. It bears 32XD-112 on the label side and has "32XD-112" in the matrix code. It also has a JASRAC symbol beneath the copyright information (on the disc). I'll post a scan tonight.

For the U.S. market, the CBS/Sony pressing came first. It has "CSR COMPACT DISC" repeating in the plastic ring and "DIDX-55" in the matrix code. The JVC pressing came after and has no text stamped on the plastic ring and has "MCAD-37214" in the matrix code.

I knew that the CBS/Sony pressing was "rebadged" as a 32XP issue for Japan (i.e., U.S. issue with an OBI strip and lyric sheet added), but I did not know that the JVC pressing was also issued this way in Japan.

13. LesPaul666

LesPaul666 Mr Markie - The Rock And Roll Snarkie

Wow...I never knew a 32XD even existed for this one. I used to have the Jpn VDP-27, and I thought that was the goods.

14. KeithH

Here's a scan of the 32XD disc. It is similar in appearance to the Japan-for-U.S. discs, but note catalog number 32XD-112 at 3 o'clock and the JASRAC symbol beneath the copyright information. The matrix code is "32XD-112 11 +++++".

Attached Files:

15. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

This thread died, but I wanted to follow up. Keith, if you read this, did you conclude that the version with 32XD-112 in the matrix was a different mastering? I may need to track it down (although having heard the Cisco album, I am not sure that I will every play the CD's again.)

16. KeithH

As I stated at the beginning of the thread, I thought the 32XD disc sounded slightly better than the Japanese CBS/Sony pressing with catalog number MCAD-37214. However, the discs are identical by EAC. This may be one of those pressing variations, which I realize is a controversial subject. Regardless, the difference between the two discs is not huge to my ears when comparing them on the Sony SCD-C333ES changer. I could compare them on the better Sony SCD-777ES, but that would make things more difficult. It's a better, more revealing player, but it would take so long to switch between discs that I doubt I could keep things straight.

17. Spaceboy

Spaceboy Senior Member

Might be your imagination. Be careful with these "pressing variations" comments imo. If EAC says they're identical then a CD player with decent error correction is going to play them exactly the same.

18. ricks

ricks Senior Member

Keith, I don't think you need to "be careful", regardless of how the cd sounds, I don't believe you to be in any actual danger. :)

Spaceboy, Please relax your vendetta on "pressing variations" / different pressings. Keith has been around the block many, many times, and has the skills to determine what sounds better to him. Since he is going to collect 'em all anyway, why would he have a bias towards a rarer pressing? I for one value his opinions and wealth of knowledge.

Rick

19. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member

Give it a try. Having heard them on the other player you will know what to listen for. Is there a difference in the imaging? I am not a fan of the album and no longer have my copy, but when I listened to the 32XD it had a huge soundstage, space around the players, the breath of life, and no "hole" in it. Or get together with another forum member as two sets of ears are better, and more fun, than one. :)

20. KeithH

Darcy, maybe I will. Gort Rudy lives ten minutes away, and he's a big Dan fan. Now if we can ever coordinate our schedules. :laugh:

21. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

OK. Got the one with 32XD-112 in the matrix. That gives me 4 copies of Aja that were mfd. in Japan early on.

32XD - matrix 32XD-112
    32XD - matrix MCAD-37214-U7C24
    32XP - matrix DIDX-55 21A6
    32XP - matrix MCAD 37214 M2E13

I suspect that they will all sound the same, but if they don't I'll let you know.

22. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member

I found a Canada pressing in the used store today. It doesn't have a bar code on the tray insert and the on the spine the code is: MCAMD-37214 DIDX 55 on the back of the case is has Price Code N Previously Released As MCAD-37214

The matrix on the disc is: MCAD-37214 Mfg By Cinram #910723FF

I don't know what any of this means, but the lack of a bar code caught my eye. I am going to shoot this out with Dave's 32XD just to hear if there is anything interesting.

23. Spaceboy

Spaceboy Senior Member

I expect they will. I expect they will sound the same as discs of the same mastering produced in other countries too....

24. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member

25. WestGrooving

WestGrooving Forum Resident

FWIW, recently picked up the Japanese CBS/Sony pressing MCAD 37214 DIDX 55 (CSR repeating in hub) and compared to my USA MCAD 37214 DIDY 55 CRC (Digital Audio Disc Corp in hub). EAC shows they are identical. They sound identical... and sound pretty awesome. So, the 32XD = CSR = DADC ?

Track 1
    Peak level 90.8 %
    Track 2
    Peak level 91.7 %
    Track 3
    Peak level 90.6 %
    Track 4
    Peak level 88.7 %
    Track 5
    Peak level 96.3 %
    Track 6
    Peak level 86.2 %