Japanese CDs made via HR cutting technique*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RnRmf, Sep 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Diverting the attention from the topic, but 5000 CD units worldwide is literally nothing for the AF or MOFI. They will all sell eventually unless the title will not sell to begin with whether it is gold or from Japan.

I am not biased against Japan discs. There are a lot of Japan discs that are great, but I don't believe the technical claimed merits of the SHM, Blu-spec, etc. matter.

I have a pretty good understanding of how optical properties work and how CDs are made.

You have also assumed that regular priced and labeled Japan discs don't already use some of these technologies already.

2. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

Are you still using a green marker?

3. tomd

tomd Senior Member

I have NEVER used a green marker but do use an excellent optical treatment on my cds as well as an highly effective cd mat...

4. tomd

tomd Senior Member

So how many of these (SHM,Blu-Spec etc) discs have YOU actually heard for yourself?

5. MikeyH

MikeyH Stamper King

It doesn't seem this is anything much other than an evolution in laser size.

Wake me up when they start directly making the stampers using 3-d printing technology. That may or may not change things, but changes to the physical mastering chain are often disruptive (we might not like Vinyl by DMM, but the technology developed to do it at all has improved lacquer cutting a lot)

6. Tank

Tank New Member

+1.

And aside from some of the SHM-SACD releases, Japanese CD mastering usually sucks.

That's what cracked me up when I read this news.

Hey JVC: Stop compressing the heck out of stuff instead of worrying about the conversion process. :laugh:

clmt55 likes this.
  7. tomd

tomd Senior Member

Yeah? Well you should try listening to my Japanese SHM Cd of The Slider then listen to the most recent Rhino cd remaster-then tell me what you just posted with a straight face...

8. EddieVanHalen

EddieVanHalen Forum Resident

Let me give you one piece of advise: take one of most cherished CDs, one you like both the sound and the music.

Rip it to your computer using Exact Audio Copy (properly set up) or dBpoweramp music converter. Yo can leave the files either as Wav or Flac and then transfer them to a USB flash drive, a good one from Verbatim or Kingston.

You can now forget about super-hyped Japanese CD super mastering/manufacturing process. Japanese are extremely good at manufacturing CDs, you don't need anything special from them.

clmt55 likes this.
  9. tomd

tomd Senior Member

Look-we've been through all this before,we've had threads (oh,so many) on this in the past-why don't you try looking some of them up-reading them-then posting what you think about digital-huh?

10. jimjim

jimjim Forum Resident

You mean, Get It On...b'dum tish! I thank yew....:winkgrin:

11. tomd

tomd Senior Member

Could you post that one more time (in English) or a language we could all understand?:confused:

12. EddieVanHalen

Tell about this to Barry Diament, I got this idea from one of his interviews.

13. Tank

Tank New Member

Are those my only options? A Rhino CD or a SHM?

Yikes.

Was the SHM tweaked from the Rhino? I bought some of thos Yes SHM's and was disappointed that they were just the same old Rhino masterings but tweaked with more compression and smiley EQ. Why anyone would pay for that kind of poor sourcing let alone at 2-3 times the cost just isn't something I can figure out but hey................

I've heard a few good SHMs, but except for a couple of them by The Who, the "good" ones always seemed to be that I just got lucky and they used somebody else's mastering. :laugh: All of them with those Japanese 24-bit mastering credits were trash. :thumbsdn:

14. tomd

tomd Senior Member

I believe my Japanese T-Rex Slider and Great Hits SHM cds aren't recent remasters at all-but they do sound superior to any versions I've heard before (and other members on this forum tend to agree from what I've seen posted on the forum) in fact most of my experiences with SHM discs tend to be the opposite to what you posted whether it be The Stooges,Rod Stewart,Portishead,Paul Weller,Bob Marley-they're just by in large superior discs (higher highs,lower lows
    Better seperation just BETTER! Then again I don't care about "smiley face eq" or any of that forum crap-oh,I didn't check the waveforms either...

15. moops

moops Senior Member

16. jimjim

jimjim Forum Resident

Christ....it was a joke.....jheesh. Get it On is a single by T.Rex. :sigh:

17. tomd

tomd Senior Member

Hey I wasn't mad-I just really wasn't sure exactly what you were saying

18. jimjim

jimjim Forum Resident

Sorry not mad at you either...I've had a tetchy day time with other theads today. :righton:

19. RnRmf

RnRmf Senior Member Thread Starter

I hope WarleyWarrior still posts his opinion of these discs after all the back and forth going on in this thread!

For the record, my Clash London Calling blu spec might be the most analog sounding cd version I've heard of that title on cd, so I keep an open mind although I realize it shouldn't particularly matter if you're ripping discs to a hard drive.

20. tomd

tomd Senior Member

I just ordered the T Rex Slider Hr Cutting cd from CD Japan to compared with the SHM-cd version I have now.

21. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

It's all in the mastering. You can't polish a turd. You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

Yeah, we've been over this many times over.

22. tomd

tomd Senior Member

No it's NOT All in the mastering.Yep,no shortage of open minds on the Steve Hoffman Forum when it comes to cd technology,cables,cd tweaks and the like....

23. EddieVanHalen

I fully agree with Barry, and I've only done one test with Van Halen's A Different Kind Of Truth. I have both the The Deluxe US release (the CD is a regular one, it only adds a DVD) and the Japanese SHM-CD. I did as Barry, ripped a song, and inverted the polarity of one of them. Result: dead silence.
    Here's the "but" even with an album that I consider anything but reference demo material, the SHM-CD sound noticiable better.
    I think the less stress to error correction or tracking a CD, the better the sound. That's why I ripped most of my CDs to USB flash drives, I don't think error correction is working very often from a USB flash drive reading wav files, the errors coming from the CD have been previously corrected by the reading CD Rom on the computer and the ripping program, Exact Audio Copy and dBpoweramp are very good at that.

But yes, I agree that a well manufactured CD does have an impact on sound quality.

24. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

As far as I know as a non-professional...
    CDs are just a sequence of 0s and 1s.
    As long as the material and processes used during manufacture is adequate to reproduce those 0s and 1s accurately to what was provided as a 16/44 master to the pressing plant there should be absolutely no difference in the sound quality of what is contained on the CD you buy to the original digital master. Any differences would by caused by your equipment's ability to accurately read those 0s and 1s on the fly and not the material used to manufacture that CD that stores that information.

25. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Yes, it is!

No, it isn't!

Yes, it is!

No, it isn't!

Rinse, repeat.

:rant:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.