DCC Archive Japanese Impulse 24/96 Reissues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by TommyTunes, Sep 13, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member Thread Starter

Has anyone else picked up any of these? I got Coltrane's A Love Supreme, and 3 others, absolutely INCREDIBLE sound. For those not aware of this series they were processesd at 24/96 but play on a conventional CD player, they are not DVD - DAD's. I only wish that they would be released as DAD's.
    One of the Coltrane titles that I picked up was Meditations, this is my first exposure to this album. Can someone explain the first track to me, I just don't get it.
    Whoa talk about out there! Wilder than any Eric Dolphy or Coleman that I ever heard.
    Anyway this Impulse series is just great.

CousinCheebo likes this.
  2. ED in NY

ED in NY New Member

Hi Tommy, I agree with you-great sound on these. My entire Coltrane catalog on Impulse are these Japanese remasters and I'm entirely pleased with them. As an added bonus (in my opinion) they packaged them in jewel cases as opposed to the domestic ones that are packaged in those flimsy digipacks. I also have the 3 Mingus Impulse titles and they are just as good. Happy Listening !-ED

Sean and daveidmarx like this.
  3. Unknown

Unknown Guest

Where can one go to purchase the fine comestibles?

4. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Yes, some of that Impulse Coltrane like "Meditations" can sound "out there" but Coltrane often broke image and style quite a few times. "Ascension" is also one of those special albums.

For those who are curious on just how far out jazz can be can try a Atlantic Jazz Classic, "Free Jazz" by Ornette Colman; a man who was well talked about in the 60's as a jazz extemist, someone who was bent on breaking a lot of rules. "Free Jazz" is a continuous 2-sided LP that is pure inprovisation with the quartet not necessarilly following anything the other musicians are doing...sorta. It's art, and somewhat a painting of a collage of colours. :eek:

If you want your mind blown midly, try the classic Atlantic "The Shape Of Jazz To Come" should also be available on Scorpio LP.

Nice to see you again, Tommy! :)

5. ED in NY

ED in NY New Member

For me personally, one of the best places to find Japanese import CD's is a seller I found through GEMM called Mundo. Great communication and excellent service. I found a lot of things through him I couldn't find anywhere else. Titles like Mingus At Monterey, Booker Little's self titled release on TIME/Bainbridge just to name a few. Check'em out, you might find some real goodies ! - ED

Sean likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.