Jarvius' Process Of Buying Records/Your Habits When Record Shopping

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Jarvius, Dec 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jarvius

Jarvius Forum Resident Thread Starter

Ok so I'm going on almost two years of buying records (started July 2015), and I've noticed that I have a weird (maybe) routine. First off, I'm not too fond of buying sealed, clean records. I go for the worn, but playable records. I like the records with the worn sleeves. It makes my record shelf look like I had it for decades. Not only is it cheaper, but it also allows me to buy more records. I literally got Mothership Connection for $3, and Minnie Riperton's Perfect Angel for free. Simply because I chose a worn copy over a B+ $10 copy.

Now, I know how to shop for records. I know what's playable. I always listen before I buy. Another thing is, I tend to try to fill in holes before I move on to another artist. For example, if I have Prince's '78-'88 run, without For You, I must buy For You before I move on to another artist. I like to complete artists albums. Right now I'm in the midst of Parliament/Funkadelic & Minnie Riperton. I must complete those before I can move on. Also, I'm not a big singles guy. I know as a Prince fan I'll eventually get all of his singles because of the B-Sides. But any other artist is a no go. So far I only have the beautiful "Raspberry Beret" & "Pop Life" singles.

If you guys have any habits let me know.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2016
  2. Kossoff is God

Kossoff is God Forum Resident

Time to invest in a record cleaning machine with all that money you are saving in buying worn records. Hopefully it will prevent your stylus from entering an early demise.

3. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

I generally buy new releases that are pristine looking.

I am the anti-Jarvius.

Jrr, Spitfire, Quark1134 and 3 others like this.
  4. Jarvius

I clean my records daily. I'm super OCD when it comes to my records. But in the future I might invest in one.

5. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

I've only bought three records and only got my first turntable a few weeks ago (and have only used it for about two hours). My habits were, if I didn't have enough CDs and really wanted to get rid of my money, I would buy an LP. Luckily, of the three that I bought, only one of them had significant surface noise and skips, but no scratches and it can be cleaned easily enough. I have a feeling I'm going to be more of a singles/EPs collector though.

6. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

Clean used records. The best three words after rock and roll.

lobo likes this.
  7. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

One habit I need to develop is looking at the spindle hole for marks. I know this is a good idea but way more often than not I just forget. Inevitably every so often I pull records out to clean and listen and I find noise on a very clean looking record. Oops....there they are, spindle marks that should have warned me but I overlooked this yet again! It's like a mental block or something.

8. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

If you love 60s, 70s, and early 80s R&B, you will have to start buying 45 sooner or later. Sometimes, they are the only way to get the music.

I much prefer digital copies over vinyl if I can get what I want in digital.

When I go vinyl record shopping, I grab all copies of a title i'm interested in and visually inspect each one first.

lobo and Jarvius like this.
  9. Jarvius

I doubt it. I mean, I hate to say this, but I can just go to the Internet for singles. I'm an lp guy. I'm not saying I'm not open to it, but I most likely will never buy 45s.

10. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I'm just saying it as a guy who was around back in the day. Singles were still an important part of music through the 80s. There are lots of things that, to this day, still can't find on any LP.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.